Quantcast
Snow removal - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snow removal

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Originally posted by masoncgy
    Shovel? Is it really that hard?
    Will be recovering from my third knee surgery so its not really an option. Thanks for the help though

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I'm gonna buy a snowblower this year, I figure if the weather is as bad as they are forecasting it will be paid off and I'll have a good chunk of profit too.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by FraserB
    I figure if the weather is as bad as they are forecasting it will be paid off and I'll have a good chunk of profit too.
    How bad is it supposed to be?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    GT TDi

there is a guy on my block with a small tractor, he does the entire sidewalk throughout the block, so thats covered
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Originally posted by M.alex

How bad is it supposed to be?
    What i heard was big cold snaps and little snow.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Originally posted by toyboy88
    There was a groupy buy deal (through TeamBuy) for Calgary yesterday and the day before for winter snow removal for the whole winter (for Calgary). Only $50/winter...but it was limited to 350 vouchers, and I didn't get in on time. LOL
    Ok, so that means $17500 to deal with 350 different properties, say it snows 60 days, even paying laborers $10hr, assume 2 per crew if it's residential, so that's $160/day in labor, there's $9600 right there, now factor in fuel, insurance, expenses, prolly gonna be left around $6500. Divide that by 350, that leaves $18.57 profit per customer/property, and that's based on 60 snow days...

How the hell do these snow removers make any money? Hence, no wonder some of you are getting shitty service....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    Ok, so that means $17500 to deal with 350 different properties, say it snows 60 days, even paying laborers $10hr, assume 2 per crew if it's residential, so that's $160/day in labor, there's $9600 right there, now factor in fuel, insurance, expenses, prolly gonna be left around $6500. Divide that by 350, that leaves $18.57 profit per customer/property, and that's based on 60 snow days...

How the hell do these snow removers make any money? Hence, no wonder some of you are getting shitty service....
    Don't forget the site hosting the deal gets 1/2 of that, so the company only gets $8750.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Fuck I'll shovel some driveways for $130/month in the NW, extra money never hurts lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Chester
    Fuck I'll shovel some driveways for $130/month in the NW, extra money never hurts lol
    Will you be there every day within 24 hours of a snowfall? You realize that some months, you'd have to come out 15+ times right?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Ok, maybe I'll up my fee to 200 a month then lol, plus I'm always looking for an excuse to drive my car in the snow.

$150 a month is a good price especially if you consider it snows 10 times. Try to avoid companies that like to charge every time it snows.

A place charging $50 must be a joke. Have they imported slave labour from Mexico or something?

The snowblower thing isn't always a guarantee either. Depending on the drive way type you must use a bobcat. Snowblowers aren't highly recommend on aggregate driveways.

I think I should do this for a winter job as I do next to nothing in the winter lol.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by rage2

Don't forget the site hosting the deal gets 1/2 of that, so the company only gets $8750.
    Really, the only money snow removal companies make is in plowing & sanding, even then its touch & go. Most times companies just break even, with a touch of profit at best for those that know how to properly train & manage staff.
    There isn't any money in it, but it keeps people employed throughout the year, so they do it. Much the same as maintenance landscaping.

What you can also do; is buy yourself a good used backpack blower for $300-500. As they have very high end new ones for $600-1k. Call up a small engine repair shop like Action Engines or Arns equipment (etc etc) and see what they have for used inventory.

They work amazingly well down to -30, the only time they dont is when the snow is wet & heavy.
    Thats what I bought for my dad last year as at their place they have lots of steps (snow blower will not work) and he just loves it. It takes 2-5 minutes to do the whole property.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

The only way there is money involved is if it's a two man operation and the two men that own the company are doing the work and getting the money.

The second you have to hire employees it'll eat any potential profit.

Back when I lived in SK land we had places that would do it reliably for $120 to $150 a month and they were all the mom and pop types which I have no qualms with at all.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by heavyfuel

I think you're numbers are way off...

Does it really snow 60 times throughout the winter? I guess maybe if you include the times we get a very light dusting, but most places don't come out unless there's actually accumulation.

I'm thinking more like 30 snowfalls/season

With that being said, 2 guys obviously can't service 350 properties in a day... They could potentially do 5-6/hr if they are all located close together. Assuming 5/hr, that's 40/day, which means you would need 8 2 man crews.

16 guys, 8hrs @ $10/hr = $1280/snowfall.
    30 snowfalls * 1280 = $38400

This is why I said earlier that come January they're going to be gone. Actually, I'd be surprised if they even make it to December... I think even my numbers may be low, plus, how many guys do you think you can find to make it through a season with you shovelling 8 hrs/day for $10/hr??

Whatever company that was must either be crazy, rich or plan to collect and disappear.
    Last edited by project240; 11-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

It was JR Contracting. I bought a "fall cleanup" coupon. They don't answer their phone and they don't take voicemail. They have an F rating with the BBB and have failed to come through on previous group buy coupons.

Might as well have flushed the $60 down the toilet.

Does that not sound more like fraud if they are screwing that many people out of money?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Pretty much what Project240 said

Originally posted by pea_soup
    The only way there is money involved is if it's a two man operation and the two men that own the company are doing the work and getting the money.

The second you have to hire employees it'll eat any potential profit.
    Not at all, but the VERY tricky part is hiring employees that dont cost a boat load of money to keep employed, and know how to properly run equipment so that it doesnt get shit beat, and its efficiently used. AND also have them to be very hard working.

When you have that, owners can walk away and have things in good hands, but people like that that take ownership over the business like that, are very hard to come by. I was one of those said employees way back when I did landscaping, but such a "career" is such a waste of time its not even funny, so I didn't last too long.

I agree though, the only way to really make money is on big condo complex like contracts. That way you can sand/plow & bobcat mostly, and the rest can be done with backpack blowers & power brooms. If you have a few of those, then your cost base is covered quite easily.
    Doing a barage of shitty little homes here and there, its a hopeless waste of time.
    Mainly because its not cost effective to have any more then 2-3 people at a property at one time, so you have more trucks, & more equipment (etc etc). Which typically equates to more people fucking around on company $$$
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-05-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by cancer man

What i heard was big cold snaps and little snow.
    so it going to be an average winter

Every winter they say will be worse than the last, some breaking news that is

Honestly calgary doesnt even get THAT much snow, average snowfall for nov-feb is like ~16-17 cm per month. Only really get like 1 or 2 big dumps a year.

http://www.calgaryarea.com/calgary_weather.htm

My dad shovels snow religously, if there is so much as a dusting he is out there asap He will shovel snow while it snowing, 3 or 4 times an evening sometimes
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

A heated pad would be nice to have. Just wondering the cost some people are paying to run that? and just from pesonal experience a heated pad wont remove all the ice but it sure is easy to get rid of whats left.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Originally posted by rage2
    $200/month, corner lot, driveway, walkways.

They come out if there's any snow that sticks, within 24 hours of snowfall. If it snows everyday, they're out everyday. If there's no snow, still pay.
    What's the name of the company?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast