Quantcast
Replace or rebuild transmission? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replace or rebuild transmission?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Anywhere. Shit, I got a 250 count pack of various sizes from Princess Auto for like $5
    This is something everyone should have handy for general automotive and household repairs.

My Ride

A speed sensor from pick n pull is $10. Look for one that isn't leaky, pull it, and even if you have to replace the o-ring you have the sensor in hand while still being able to drive the crv.

Also, taking the sensor out of a junker vehicle gives you practice before working on your own vehicle. If you mess up, you don't pay for it plus you learn.

My Ride
    G37X

I'd be curious who actually "rebuilds" transmissions in Calgary vs replacing them with refurb units. From my experiences with my Camaro, no one has the tools for a Borg Warner T-56. When I wore out some gears in my Mustang, the only solution was for the Trans shop to replace it. Pretty bogus

Originally posted by Abeo
    A speed sensor from pick n pull is $10. Look for one that isn't leaky, pull it, and even if you have to replace the o-ring you have the sensor in hand while still being able to drive the crv.

Also, taking the sensor out of a junker vehicle gives you practice before working on your own vehicle. If you mess up, you don't pay for it plus you learn.
    Brilliant idea! Which wrecks has this part? Never been to the wreckers for parts

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    I'd be curious who actually "rebuilds" transmissions in Calgary vs replacing them with refurb units. From my experiences with my Camaro, no one has the tools for a Borg Warner T-56. When I wore out some gears in my Mustang, the only solution was for the Trans shop to replace it. Pretty bogus
    I wouldn't want one to rebuild a transmission outside of a transmission rebuilder. I would trust a remanufactured one one rebuilt inside a transmission shop anyday.

My Ride

Originally posted by jabjab

Brilliant idea! Which wrecks has this part? Never been to the wreckers for parts
    http://www.picknpull.com/check_inven...-V&Distance=20

Also,

http://www.bucksautoparts.com/calgary/Inventory.aspx

Take a look at your CRV to see what tools you need to bring.

I've had some really good days out at the wreckers

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    I wouldn't want one to rebuild a transmission outside of a transmission rebuilder. I would trust a remanufactured one one rebuilt inside a transmission shop anyday.
    I hear you, but it sure sucks having to have an entire transmission replaced because of a couple of worn out gears. Why can't they install upgraded parts inside a manual trans? It must be rocket science. Because it's all about get it in and out and f the customer , that's why

My Ride

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    I hear you, but it sure sucks having to have an entire transmission replaced because of a couple of worn out gears. Why can't they install upgraded parts inside a manual trans? It must be rocket science. Because it's all about get it in and out and f the customer , that's why
    Transmission rebuilders seem to specialize in automatics. I think they just don't have the experience or want the hassle of dealing with a manual. The manual is a simpler beast by far, but such a vastly different device and a different skillset needed by their techs that I doubt they want to get involved. The good news is the few specialized tools you need are available cheaply online and they're a simple enough beast with far less specialty tools and knowledge needed to reassemble correctly.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by carson blocks

Transmission rebuilders seem to specialize in automatics. I think they just don't have the experience or want the hassle of dealing with a manual. The manual is a simpler beast by far, but such a vastly different device and a different skillset needed by their techs that I doubt they want to get involved. The good news is the few specialized tools you need are available cheaply online and they're a simple enough beast with far less specialty tools and knowledge needed to reassemble correctly.
    Autos are way easier to rebuild. They are basically a bucket of loose parts stacked in a pyramid like a kids toy and don't require many tools to work on. i.e. A modern Chrysler 4/5/6 speed you need 1 torx bit and a pocket screwdriver to completely disassemble it.

My Ride

Originally posted by Darell_n

Autos are way easier to rebuild. They are basically a bucket of loose parts stacked in a pyramid like a kids toy and don't require many tools to work on. i.e. A modern Chrysler 4/5/6 speed you need 1 torx bit and a pocket screwdriver to completely disassemble it.
    I've helped with some auto tranny rebuilds and am still intimidated by autos because they're basically aluminum cases full of sharp bits and a ton of difficult snap rings and I didn't find the operation intuitive once inside. A manual trans I can see and understand, put it in the gears, and identify the crunchy parts by eye and feel. I probably need to sit down with a 4L60, a case of beer, and one of those 'how to rebuild your tranny' books and just get in to it.

Transmission supplies just off Blackfoot is a good place for orings if you need one. Not an automotive trans shop just all kinds of industrial parts.
    Don't just put any oring in there as ATF will eat many different rubbers. I would ask them what they would suggest for oring material, of the top of my head I'd say nitrile should work but ask an expert.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

we can't all drive X5Ms

My Ride
    Trucks

^ TSL.

Went to various auto supply stores and nobody carried the right o ring. I'm thinking of just ordering a whole new speed sensor to avoid the hassle. Went to the wreckers today and the bolt was stripped (just my luck) to the speed sensor

My Ride
    G37X

Went to various auto supply stores and nobody carried the right o ring. I'm thinking of just ordering a whole new speed sensor to avoid the hassle. Went to the wreckers today and the bolt was stripped (just my luck) to the speed sensor
    Head over to Hi-Tech Seals, they'd have it.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Did you even bother to call the appointment I set up for you ?
    If not your beyond help. Here you are back wasting time asking
    About what stupid parts you need when you could have had this
    fixed already end rant
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Replacing a transmission due to leaky axle seals?? Jesus, I hope you don't actually believe that...
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Originally posted by bourge73

Did you even bother to call the appointment I set up for you ?
    If not your beyond help. Here you are back wasting time asking
    About what stupid parts you need when you could have had this
    fixed already end rant
    I didn't need to go to your friends shop to tell me it's leaking from the speed sensor. I cleaned up the area of the leak and drove it for a week and saw that it's a bit wet from the base.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

I didn't need to go to your friends shop to tell me it's leaking from the speed sensor. I cleaned up the area of the leak and drove it for a week and saw that it's a bit wet from the base.
    Ok got it your fixing yourself with an o ring ......great....
    Then why bother wasting my time or making a thread ?
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

Originally posted by bourge73

Ok got it your fixing yourself with an o ring ......great....
    Then why bother wasting my time or making a thread ?
    Well at the time I didn't know what it was. I'm not exactly sure why you seem so upset lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast