Quantcast
A few questions regarding some problems with a eBay sale - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: A few questions regarding some problems with a eBay sale

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Question A few questions regarding some problems with a eBay sale

Hey guys, I just bought a guitar on eBay a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I've had some issues with PayPal in the past so I opted to pay for it using a money order. The original shipping quote was around $88 to ship it up here, which I included in the total for the M.O. I sent out to him. Now that he's received it and it's been cleared; I get an email today that "due to the long wait, the cost of shipping has went up due to an increase in gas prices". Now he needs an extra $60 just to ship it out, as the total cost is now $148. I'm not so cheap as to really care but it feels like getting screwed here.

Has anybody heard of this happening? In two weeks I've never heard of the cost of shipping almost doubling. Keep in mind this is only coming from Alabama, not Siberia or some shit.

Sounds like he's trying to screw me over for another $60

What do you guys think? What can I do here?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Hes definitely screwing you over but I'm not quite sure what you can do because you sent a MO. I'd file a grievance through eBay asap because I know time runs out rather quickly for them to do anything. Contact the seller and tell him that gas prices don't double in 2 weeks and you expect him to honor his original price. Have him COD the remaining balance if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: A few questions regarding some problems with a eBay sale

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Hey guys, I just bought a guitar on eBay a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I've had some issues with PayPal in the past so I opted to pay for it using a money order. The original shipping quote was around $88 to ship it up here, which I included in the total for the M.O. I sent out to him. Now that he's received it and it's been cleared; I get an email today that "due to the long wait, the cost of shipping has went up due to an increase in gas prices". Now he needs an extra $60 just to ship it out, as the total cost is now $148. I'm not so cheap as to really care but it feels like getting screwed here.

Has anybody heard of this happening? In two weeks I've never heard of the cost of shipping almost doubling. Keep in mind this is only coming from Alabama, not Siberia or some shit.

Sounds like he's trying to screw me over for another $60

What do you guys think? What can I do here?
    Tell him that you'll need the original money order back so you can issue a new one for the new amount. If he objects, tell him to ship it as there's no way shipping fees have doubled. OR, have him send you $88 you originally paid and you'll pay the shipping fees directly to USPS.

Start a grievance right away through eBay but continue to work with him in regards to getting your original money order back and issuing a new one.

If I remember correctly, the grievance has to be filed with ebay within 45 days of the sale so you want to provide them with as much detail as possible before that time comes(if it takes that long to sort out)

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I'm just curious, as I do a fair amount of Ebay buying........why did you use a MO instead of Paypal? From what I've read, Paypal usually protects the buyer when purchasing on Ebay. I've heard horror stories of sellers getting screwed by sketchy buyers who complain to paypal, but never the opposite.

Tell the seller that you saved him the 3% charges that paypal would have charged him, he can put that towards the extra shipping costs.

Since you paid with a MO, the seller has you by the balls and there probably isn't much you can do. Ebay will have no idea if you really paid or not as it's tough to prove.

Keep us updated if you can. I'm always curious to see how Ebay handles these situations.

My Ride
    1.2 GIGAWATT CUISINART POWERED DELOREAN

Just pay it and get your item. Then leave negative feedback to warn others. Next time use Paypal or COD shipping.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” -Jeremy Clarkson

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

File a complaint with eBay, he can't change the terms once the contract between the two of you is in place. He was a lazy ass and didn't ship it, not your problem to cover any new cost.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

THe seller is screwing you for extra money. He knows you can't do fuck all because you paid with the money order.

I would pay the extra $60, get your goods. Then file a grievance with Ebay and leave him negative feedback. That's probably the best way to get your goods you paid for.

I hate paypal too, but they're still safer than a MO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride

He's stating customs has to be paid on his end; thats mainly why. I told him if FedEx wont do COD, then ship it Purolator or UPS.
    I dont know if Customs has to be paid before it can pass into Canada: perhaps you guys will know more about that.

I'll find out more tomorrow, but I think you guys are right; Im kind of at his mercy really. Fuck sakes.

Basically I said to COD the remainder of the shipping costs (if there are any, which I doubt).... so he'll check into this tomorrow and get back to me.

I dont know, he has a 100% positive rating with 265 feedback, so I just find all this shit a bit odd. He doesn't seem like a bad guy but I think its safe to say all this sounds very fishy.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

I've ordered tons of things off ebay from the states, rims, watches, you name it. I've never had to pay customs ahead of time....always at time of pickup/delivery. How can he know how much to calculate for customs anyways??? He isn't the Border server or Customs....

Regardless, good luck with this. As much as you hate paypal...i'm sure you hate giving your money away or getting scammed more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

just pay it and be thankful that you are not getting reamed by exorbitant brokerage+duty+tax on brokerage+tax on duty+ GST from UPS or FEDEX.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

As most others said, I'd pay it... Remember he still has 'your guitar'. He chooses how well to pack it for shipping. I wouldn't want to piss him off.

After, yeah.. Possibly leave neg. Feedback.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Seller is a douche, if he didn't do his research then its his loss. I've improperly quoted shipping prices as a seller and sent items at a loss simply to avoid negative ratings/grievances.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

I used to always pay with MO before opening a paypal account, and I was never charged extra even when it took 2 weeks to get payment. Of course MO was an accepted payment method, now it seems that only paypal is accepted on most items and you only have like 2-3 days to pay.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

So at first he told you the $60 was for the extra shipping costs because gas went up and now he is saying its for customs? Stories aren't straight means that hes a dirty liar pants on fire.

+1 for Canadian AIDS
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    firebird

That is a BS charge. I've ordered a dozen guitars off of EBAY and none have had an issue like that. Overnight shipping should be no more than $140, so I would tell him you will pay, but that it must be over-nighted. Regular shipping should be no more than $100. He is just trying to extort you a bit and the only way that would have happened is if he would have gone to the shipping depot and basically gone through every step except for shipping to find out that charge. Maybe meet him halfway and call it a day...probably best for both of you.

Oh, and post pics.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Money order???? Come on dude!

My Ride

Fuck... just got off the phone with Ebay, yeah this is not looking good.

wow what a mistake it is to pay with a MO or CC. I seem to be hopelessly out of options here. I just fired off an email to him asking him to remove the 3% (Paypal selling) fees off the amount owing, and thats really the only card left to play.

The Canadian buyers protection is offered through Paypal, and since I didn't use it there really isn't much I can do.