Quantcast
I don't get "scotch". - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get "scotch".

Post I don't get "scotch".

Feeling a little adventurous tonight, I picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 yar.

Then, I put it down, and picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 yr, which I purchased.

I'm not a scotch drinker, but know a lot of folks like it, and thought it would be a nice treat. Definitely more expensive than the usual thursday night six of lucky :-).

It tasted like bile to me, although I did get a nice buzz after a glass. I. just. don't. get. it.

Please help me understand.

My Ride
    4x4

Glenfiddich is half the problem... need the taste and a nice cohiba to truly enjoy...

Course I don't understand tekillya... "tastes like burning" so it might just be a taste thing...

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by AndyL
    tekillya... .
    seriously?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    4x4

Seriously, who would possibly like the taste? I'd rather pound back budweiser

Yes I know how to spell tequila but te kill ya seems more appropriate somehow

My Ride
    PA-20,R65ls

Need to get some better tequilla...patron is good...try johnny walker black label...my favourite

My Ride
    FZ6, Ford Raptor, Audi A3 Sport Comp.

You either grow up on the stuff, or you suffer for months trying to acquire a taste for it. I am of the belief that my Scottish heritage and the associated drinking of single malt has severely damaged my ability to taste in general which no doubt contributes to my liking scotch.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

ALL "hard" alcohol is a bit challenging. Myself, I'm starting to understand scoth, but I still prefer Rye, Cuban Rum, or Tequila.

Some people never pick up the taste for scotch, and that's OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

I don't understand drinking scotch straight, neat, or on the rocks. But I don't mind it mixed with a coke and water.

I have a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 yr at home. I had my first drink straight up and found it rather abrasive. The second and remaining were drank on ice and actually tasted quite good.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

glenmorangie quinta ruban is a great entry level scotch, being a port cask it is much smoother than a traditional pure oak cask scotch. plus for what it is $65-$70 for a bottle is a great deal.

i prefer to drink my scotch with a drop of water instead of on the rocks.

and AndyL... a good tequila should not burn, step away from the jose cuervo and sauza.... and lime and salt

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

has anyone tried medallion? freakin' amazing

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Like any alcohol, it generally gets better with what is considered to be the "good stuff". I actually found a $150 bottle of tequilla my friend bought in Mexico exceptionally smooth. But then, who really wants to buy a $150 bottle of the stuff?

Glenfiddich is, as far as I know, considered the "entry level" into good scotches.

Now, with all this said, I think hard liquor is an aquired taste in any case. Why does one need to go to a really expensive bottle to reach a reasonable level? Seems rather silly, imo.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Kloubek
    [B]Like any alcohol, it generally gets better with what is considered to be the "good stuff". /B]
    I would agree with you 9/10 with the caveat that the palate has to be able to recognize it appropriately.

I have been lucky to try out a few good different scotches and continually come back to Johnnie Walker Black, to my taste, it is the best - and this is probably because my palate isn't developed to an extent to appreciate the good stuff.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I tried Scotch once. Yuck.

Caribbean dark rum on the otherhand
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2013 BMW 335i

john walker blue label ftw

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I've tried both the Glenfiddichs that you mentioned, and they're ok, not great. I drink most scotch on the rocks, although a few rare ones are better alone.

Most scotches taste better with a cigar as Andy mentioned, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Probably the single biggest thing to remember when drinking scotch is that it's not meant to be a quick drink.

People don't pound back 20 glasses of scotch before hitting the clubs. I'll have a glass after a shitty day at the office, and that will last me 30 minutes or longer. You sip it while you're engaged in something else, and before you know it the glass is done and you're much more relaxed than you were when you started.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I would agree with you 9/10 with the caveat that the palate has to be able to recognize it appropriately.

I have been lucky to try out a few good different scotches and continually come back to Johnnie Walker Black, to my taste, it is the best - and this is probably because my palate isn't developed to an extent to appreciate the good stuff.
    I quite like drinking scotch, but to be honest black label is also my favorite. I know I know...it is blended scotch, but it actually makes for quite an enjoyable experience.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Scotch gives me an instant headache.

My Ride
    R50

Originally posted by artieg30
    john walker blue label ftw

Originally posted by sneek

I quite like drinking scotch, but to be honest black label is also my favorite. I know I know...it is blended scotch, but it actually makes for quite an enjoyable experience.
    I'm a huge fan of blends! A few buddies and I will easily sip through an entire bottle of Johnny Blue in one night. We usually have it neat, and it is no doubt smooth. But honestly, it's not that that that great. I would actually rather have a Johnny Black over a couple cubes of ice.

Scotch and soda is also good if you're out and you just want to get hammered. Guaranteed no hangover and surprisingly low cal... LOL Like others have said, scotch is an acquired taste, maybe mix it with soda first before drinking it neat.
    Last edited by cdnsir; 01-28-2011 at 11:08 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Like any alcohol, it generally gets better with what is considered to be the "good stuff". I actually found a $150 bottle of tequilla my friend bought in Mexico exceptionally smooth. But then, who really wants to buy a $150 bottle of the stuff?
    Yeah, back in the day a friend was a bartender at Sante Fe. His boss comped us some Patron Platinum. My god it was good, it tastes nothing like the cheap shit you usually associate with tequilla.

I haven't touched tequilla since, because I know what it should taste like now, but can't afford that, lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast