Quantcast
P.Eng Application Question - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: P.Eng Application Question

Another question:

My first supervisor was a P.Eng. He's no longer with the company. Can I still use him as a reference? His email will obviously give away that he's no longer with the company.

Can I use him as a reference for all 3 years I've been with the EPC? I mean he knows the type of work I do....

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Hero_X
    Another question:

My first supervisor was a P.Eng. He's no longer with the company. Can I still use him as a reference? His email will obviously give away that he's no longer with the company.

Can I use him as a reference for all 3 years I've been with the EPC? I mean he knows the type of work I do....
    You need to have 3 supervisors that cover your 4 years of listed experience. From what i can tell it doesn't matter whether its a month with 1 guy 3 years with another etc. as long as it adds up to 3 supervisors over 4 years.

I think.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Another question:

Doesn't matter if he's left the company. If his only email is a personal email, you'll need to get snail mail contact info for him - they will only contact references through snail mail or a "professional email". 2 of my 5 references are no longer with the company.

And to any EITs out there reading this - keep track of your references. Get their personal info if they (or you) wind up leaving the company. I didn't do this with a couple of co-op term references, and I would be a p.eng by now had I gotten more contact info from them.

Originally posted by cjblair

And to any EITs out there reading this - keep track of your references. Get their personal info if they (or you) wind up leaving the company. I didn't do this with a couple of co-op term references, and I would be a p.eng by now had I gotten more contact info from them.
    Best advice in this thread. I'll just add, try to keep in touch with your references in case their phone numbers/emails change. Just a yearly coffee, phone call, or email to shoot the shit goes a long way.

Originally posted by killramos

You need to have 3 supervisors that cover your 4 years of listed experience. From what i can tell it doesn't matter whether its a month with 1 guy 3 years with another etc. as long as it adds up to 3 supervisors over 4 years.

I think.
    They don't even need to be a supervisor. I had 2 jobs in the 4 years. Used my supervisor in both jobs, then a P. Ag. at my current job as a third.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by lasimmon

They don't even need to be a supervisor. I had 2 jobs in the 4 years. Used my supervisor in both jobs, then a P. Ag. at my current job as a third.
    Sorry, perhaps the term reference would be better. IN many cases a supervisor but not necessarily as you mentioned.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Sorry, perhaps the term reference would be better. IN many cases a supervisor but not necessarily as you mentioned.
    Which is kind of silly anyways. The way they have it on the sheets is a little convoluted. They probably spend all their time fielding calls because their system isn't straight forward.

Is this really true? Where did you find this info?

It would reaally help me out because my current lead that i work under isn't a P.Eng.
    It clearly says in the PDF package on their website that shows you how to fill out the application. After reading it, I called APEGA and they confirmed on the phone too

I wrote my experience in point form as well. Another good tip is to try to use action words, such as:
    - calculated ____ to determine ___
    - ran ___ program to evaluate ___

Be careful of using words such as assisted, prepared, etc. They want you do demonstrate that you are making decisions rather than just gathering data, data crunching, drafting plans, etc. These tasks would fall under Technologist level experience, which APEGA does allow up to 12 months of.

Also, as always with references, make sure you speak with your references first and get permission from them to use their name as a reference. There's nothing worse than having a reference not know who you are.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by lasimmon

Which is kind of silly anyways. The way they have it on the sheets is a little convoluted. They probably spend all their time fielding calls because their system isn't straight forward.
    Yea it would be much better for all involved if EIT's just had to fill them out year by year at renewal or something. Less chance of losing touch with references, you actually remember what you are doing. And they can just record that year as completed or worth 12 months or something.

Then they can give you a little check mark on their website when they have recorded that you have completed your experience portion. Check mark for completed your exam. etc etc.

I guess the solution would be to fill them out every year yourself and just save them for final submission. Not a bad idea actually.

fact.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I guess the solution would be to fill them out every year yourself and just save them for final submission. Not a bad idea actually.
    I'd like to see it done year by year as you said because tracking down references is being a PITA.

Also you can't fill it out every year yourself unfortunately. You have to pay for the application before it opens up and you can fill things in. Once you've started it you need to submit it within 6 months or you have to restart (and repay) all over again

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by pheoxs

I'd like to see it done year by year as you said because tracking down references is being a PITA.

Also you can't fill it out every year yourself unfortunately. You have to pay for the application before it opens up and you can fill things in. Once you've started it you need to submit it within 6 months or you have to restart (and repay) all over again
    I feel like i have seen a fillable spreadsheet on the website? Maybe im wrong.

fact.

In previous years, you were able to download the spreadsheet and keep updating it each year. At my company, EITs are required to meet with their P. Eng supervisors every year to review the work they did.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Yeah, there used to be a spreadsheet. I suspect that you may be able to submit the information directly now since you can apply online.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by lilmira
    Yeah, there used to be a spreadsheet. I suspect that you may be able to submit the information directly now since you can apply online.
    Yes. Clunky AF form on the website. I did it back in November 2014.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. Has anyone applied for their PEng recently? Any idea how long it took?

Expecting a few months but I've heard some people took 6 or more. Mine's still early on, waiting for references to respond to the questionaires but really hoping it'll be done early in the new year.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. Has anyone applied for their PEng recently? Any idea how long it took?

Expecting a few months but I've heard some people took 6 or more. Mine's still early on, waiting for references to respond to the questionaires but really hoping it'll be done early in the new year.
    If your references drag their feet or don't respond promptly it will take 6+ months. Otherwise it's usually about 3 months from date of submission as they do the reviews every 3 months as long as you don't miss the window... The process is explained on their website as an FYI.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

If your references drag their feet or don't respond promptly it will take 6+ months. Otherwise it's usually about 3 months from date of submission as they do the reviews every 3 months as long as you don't miss the window... The process is explained on their website as an FYI.
    Thanks, I read the site, but I've heard mixed answers on how long it takes due to backlog. Also the email I got when I submitted it said due to backlog it will be a minimum of 1 month before they'd look at my application.

If they are able to actually get through them every 3 months thats not bad then.

Once the references get in it will tell you what month you are being reviewed in. Then you will hear the following month.

Easy as that.

Also they do reviews every month except December and August if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by lasimmon; 10-22-2015 at 12:57 PM.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I applied in the early June, received P.Eng early August. My references were quick to review and approve my experience record and it was in APEGAs review the following month.

I think they're really working to keep those times realistic...no more 8-month in process bullshit.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast