Quantcast
Sage Hill/Symons Gate/Nolan Hill/Evanston...Etc - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sage Hill/Symons Gate/Nolan Hill/Evanston...Etc

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by rx7boi
    I don't speed excessively.
    On Deerfoot I am normally hauling 120, no more than 130 if that counts
    Limit is 100

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by jwslam

Limit is 100
    Damn, I've been doing it wrong this whole time!

My Ride
    Hybrid

From Sage Hill to the Beddington->Deerfoot off ramp takes me about 5 minutes
    You must really haul ass down Symons Valley Road and Beddington Trail... that stretch by itself is 8-9km. 5 minutes means you're averaging 100km/h where half of it is 60km/h and the other half is 80 -- not to mention the 200 traffic lights along the way

On top of that, the way they build communities these days it could easily take a solid 10 minutes to get out of your subdivision (unless you're right off of a main artery).

Just ranting because I had to take my dog to the Rocky Ridge vet before work the other day and picked her up after and realized how suburbs people's time estimates are. Crowchild was backed up from 24th to Dalhousie station as I drove the other way, so I took 16th to get into downtown... holy what a gongshow that is by Bowfort.
    Last edited by Strider; 10-07-2015 at 05:14 PM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Strider

You must really haul ass down Symons Valley Road and Beddington Trail... that stretch by itself is 8-9km. 5 minutes means you're averaging 100km/h where half of it is 60km/h and the other half is 80 -- not to mention the 200 traffic lights along the way

On top of that, the way they build communities these days it could easily take a solid 10 minutes to get out of your subdivision (unless you're right off of a main artery).

Just ranting because I had to take my dog to the Rocky Ridge vet before work the other day and picked her up after and realized how suburbs people's time estimates are. Crowchild was backed up from 24th to Dalhousie station as I drove the other way, so I took 16th to get into downtown... holy what a gongshow that is by Bowfort.
    My bike ride takes 45-50min. Takes me 30mins in a car.

I average 25km/h on the bike. So I average only 50km/h in the car along with all the stop and go traffic.

I don't know why rx7boi is trying to get people out into the boonies. If he value his time, he should discourage it as it will only make traffic worse out there.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I don't know why rx7boi is trying to get people out into the boonies. If he value his time, he should discourage it as it will only make traffic worse out there.
    Because if everyone joins the outliers, it'll no longer be boonies and he can call it uptown.

I've been in Evanston for about 3 years now. Bought a brand new "estate" home as they like to call them
    on the Ridge. Pros are pretty much what everyone has said, massive amount of amenities nearby and very convenient if you have small children. Loads of young families and kids everywhere. Great value for your home compared to West.

Cons, I work downtown and want to kill myself sometimes. I laugh at some of the commute times people are specifying. On a good day, it's 35-40 minutes at best to get downtown in the morning. In the afternoon 40-45 minutes. In the winter it can easily take an hour.

My only complaint is commute times to downtown other than that you have everything you need. I guess that's the price you pay for more home out in the burbs.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

I lived in Kincora for 1.5 years and yeah beddington trail is BS. Took so long sometimes to get to deerfoot. If i remember correctly, you have to go through 10 lights if you are leaving from South Kincora exit (I got pissed off enough that I actually counted). It takes at least 10 minutes to get to deerfoot, usually more because of the lights.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by ArjayAquino
    I lived in Kincora for 1.5 years and yeah beddington trail is BS. Took so long sometimes to get to deerfoot. If i remember correctly, you have to go through 10 lights if you are leaving from South Kincora exit (I got pissed off enough that I actually counted). It takes at least 10 minutes to get to deerfoot, usually more because of the lights.
    I've been dinged once by the Country Hills cam so I have a greater hatred for Beddington Trail

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Ain't no thang...most people are hauling 90km on Beddington most of the times. Trick is to not get caught behind a law abiding slowpoke actually doing the limit jokes!
    Originally posted by Xtrema

My bike ride takes 45-50min. Takes me 30mins in a car.

I average 25km/h on the bike. So I average only 50km/h in the car along with all the stop and go traffic.

Originally posted by jwslam

Because if everyone joins the outliers, it'll no longer be boonies and he can call it uptown.
    Triple whammy ball busting

I will time myself over several trips next time I head that way during the weekend/evening.

Now that it seems like I'm an exception, maybe it is time to re-evaluate my driving habits, or at least learn how to tell time correctly
    Last edited by rx7boi; 10-08-2015 at 10:28 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you're staying on Crowchild, you're doing it wrong.

I would post my commute dashcam vids, but I'd rather not have people copy my shortcuts. Already made that mistake with the Crowchild "3rd lane" shortcut so I can't even use that anymore.

My latest record from home to downtown door to door during morning rush hour is 14 mins, although some say 7am isn't considered rush hour even though Crowchild is already backed up to Northland Drive. 17km, 14mins, 69km/h.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by rage2
    My latest record from home to downtown door to door during morning rush hour is 14 mins, although some say 7am isn't considered rush hour even though Crowchild is already backed up to Northland Drive. 17km, 14mins, 69km/h.
    7am is not rush hour, nor is west-end really downtown relative to where I am at the Core.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Ain't no thang...most people are hauling 90km on Beddington most of the times. Trick is to not get caught behind a law abiding slowpoke actually doing the limit jokes!

Now that it seems like I'm an exception, maybe it is time to re-evaluate my driving habits, or at least learn how to tell time correctly
    I have no problem cruising 110-120 on Beddington Tr between Deerfoot and Country Hills, but I've seen too many speed traps in the 60 zone along Hidden Valley. Whenever I visit friends in Kincora/Evanston, I approach Country Hills and think I'm almost there... but then I realize I'm not even half way, with another 200 traffic lights to go.

If you're staying on Crowchild, you're doing it wrong.
    Had all intention of dodging 24th Ave by going 32nd -> Morley, but saw that it was backed up to Dalhousie and realized even that wouldn't help me. Maybe Shag exit up and over to 40th Ave to Brentwood Road to Morley to 19th?

Even Parkdale blvd was screwed from people avoiding Crowchild.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There was only 1 day where it was backed up to Dalhousie, and that was due to an accident between Shag and Northland Drive. So yea, that's not typical Crowchild traffic.

Even at 8-8:30am where it's backed up the most, it only backs up to Brisboise turnoff. That's in the summers. In the winters, ie first snow, it will backup to Shag.

But yea, I'm off Crowchild well before that anyways.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    You Crazy

Forest Lawn bitches!

I can ride my bike downtown in 20 minutes. Sheesh.

I might get mugged or shot on the way, but hey, it's friggin close and convenient!

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

So, I timed myself going downtown to a buddy's place around 6:30pm last night. I'll do it again next time I head down that route but it was a pretty typical commute.

Here's the breakdown:

Sage Hill to Beddington/Deerfoot ramp- 7 minutes
    Deerfoot ramp to Memorial - 6 minutes going a steady 110km
    Memorial to Riverfront - 3 minutes.

It took me 16 minutes to get to downtown, and I don't even weave in and out of traffic to get ahead.

I would post my commute dashcam vids, but I'd rather not have people copy my shortcuts. Already made that mistake with the Crowchild "3rd lane" shortcut so I can't even use that anymore.
    Speaking of 3rd lane shortcuts...

Biggest tragedy was when they changed that 3rd rightmost lane on Shaganappi after John Laurie from a merge to a full lane.

We lost the easiest option to cut in front of the pack
    Originally posted by Toma
    Forest Lawn bitches!

I can ride my bike downtown in 20 minutes. Sheesh.

I might get mugged or shot on the way, but hey, it's friggin close and convenient!
    Yeah, but the real question is how much does your bicycle make on the dyno?

Last edited by rx7boi; 10-09-2015 at 09:02 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Traffic was so good today only 18 mins to my carpooler and then like 7 minutes into the parking lot. First day I have been able to use shag across stoney since school started!

Originally posted by CLiVE
    I've been commuting from the NW for 15 years, and now bike / run commute from Sherwood year round (last 2 years). Downtown in 40-45mins on a bike, and home in ~50 with the climb up nose hill.

Just out of curiosity, what path do you take? I've also been toying with the idea of moving out to Sherwood, but I thought the bike routes would suck in the winter.

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

does anyone know when they are planning to complete the 14st over pass on stoney trail?

What routes do most people take to downtown in the morning? I typically take Symons valley to Stoney, Stoney to Shag, Shag all the way to memorial and then into downtown. Beddington to Deerfoot, and Deerfoot to downtown is out of question for me as its a parking lot. I've tried Shag to John Laurie to 14th but found there are too many lights on 14th.

Originally posted by ArjayAquino
    does anyone know when they are planning to complete the 14st over pass on stoney trail?
    This is in the other thread, but looks like they are not planning to start construction until 2019.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast