Quantcast
Buying a house - N/E/S/W orientation? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying a house - N/E/S/W orientation?

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

I have a north facing house/south facing backyard and its awesome. I love sitting outside on the deck so it is totally worth it. In addition, the sun lights up the kitchen and nook and I much prefer natural light over artificial light

Cons: house gets crazy as fuck hot, driveway/sidewalk is always snow and ice, and my 1 1/2 yr old deck is completely bleached and looks like it is 10 years old. Also the bbq cover and hot tub cover are losing their color, but hey thats a dfirst world problem

Isn't there a premium for south facing lots? $10000? $20000?

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Originally posted by canadian_hustla
    I have a north facing house/south facing backyard and its awesome. I love sitting outside on the deck so it is totally worth it. In addition, the sun lights up the kitchen and nook and I much prefer natural light over artificial light

Cons: house gets crazy as fuck hot, driveway/sidewalk is always snow and ice, and my 1 1/2 yr old deck is completely bleached and looks like it is 10 years old. Also the bbq cover and hot tub cover are losing their color, but hey thats a dfirst world problem

Isn't there a premium for south facing lots? $10000? $20000?
    Always a premium, and on the the resale market you usually get an Air conditioner

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

north facing back yard here. As far as i'm concerned it is perfect.

No AC in my house in summer and no need. A key feature is I back onto a green space, and in Edmonton the dominant wind direction is from the north north west. Master bedroom is at the back of the house too so that is another factor for not trying to sleep in a sauna. IMO airflow is something overlooked.

i hated living in a west/east positioned house before, because it baked in summer and had zero airflow throughout it.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I paid a 10-20g premium to have a south facing back yard and then had to spend another 5g-10g-20g on a sunroom or deck coverings to make a futile attempt to block out the inferno creating sunlight.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

South facing backyard and kitchen, and east facing master bedroom. Sucks if you want to sleep in I guess but it's what I prefer. If in a high rise I could see having the living room west facing really nice as you'd catch the sunsets and the mountains
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    TDi

South facing backyard, kitchen and master bedroom. I am facing green space though so it's a good view from the bedroom and kitchen

It gets pretty bright in the morning so I definitely can't sleep in unless I get curtains.

My driveway barely melts.. it sucks
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Originally posted by Kloubek
    In our new build (which we get in 2 weeks - yay!) it has an East facing back yard. We didn't buy the lot for it's orientation though, so this was just the way it worked out.

We have floor to ceiling 20ft windows in the back of the house where the great room is, so it should make for one hell of a bright morning - which I like. It also means that the rear should get a reprieve from the sun past noon, which is good for our son who's room is in the back, as well as ensuring that when everything is at it's hottest that the great room doesn't become unbearably hot with all that glass.

It also means that while the sun moves through the day that the home on the south side beside us should shield us somewhat from constant sun and help avoiding overheating the house. (The trade-off is more heating in the winter I guess)

Then in the evening, the front gets the sun which I like in case I want to work in the front or on my cars in the PM.

Yes, it would be nice to have the sun in the back yard after work so we can enjoy it, but sometimes it is nice to have a cooler spot to sit as well. Our back yard is big enough that as long as the sun isn't way down on the horizon, we should have at least SOME direct sunlight there even in the evenings.
    Are you still staying in Kincora?
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2