Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your/the current employment status

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • There have been layoffs but there will not likely be anymore

33 16.84%
  • There have been layoffs and there will likely be more

61 31.12%
  • Steady as she goes - No layoffs yet and there will likely not be any coming

40 20.41%
  • I'm currently looking for work because I was laid off/quit.

23 11.73%
  • Our company is actively hiring

17 8.67%
  • I switched industries

16 8.16%
  • I may have been laid off/quit but I am back in school

6 3.06%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!)

My Ride
    Bicycle

The way I see realtor vs job is you are basically on call 24/7, at least for a while until you can build up a team to deal with 1st line response.

Especially if have not established well enough and stuck as buying agent. A lot of work for peanuts.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Xtrema
    The way I see realtor vs job is you are basically on call 24/7, at least for a while until you can build up a team to deal with 1st line response.

Especially if have not established well enough and stuck as buying agent. A lot of work for peanuts.
    Curious why you think buying vs selling determines value?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 89coupe

Curious why you think buying vs selling determines value?
    Buying = a lot of work, driving clients around until deal is done. Even worse if it's a 1st time buyer because you don't have a selling lead.

Selling = sit and wait for buying agents bring the right people to you. May be do some staging and open houses, that's about it.

All I'm saying is, if commission is split 50/50 between buying and selling agents, buying agent has potential more time invested by the time deal is closed.

There will always outliers where this theory doesn't panned out. If you moved 10 $1M properties and collected your half of ~$350K of commission with ease as a buying agent, good for you.

But that isn't the norm for majority of realtors. They may have to move 20 $500K properties or more if value is less. So it may take them 2x to 3x effort to get the same #s you had.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-07-2016 at 11:07 AM.

My Ride
    '23 4Runner TRD Pro

Originally posted by Xtrema

Buying = a lot of work, driving clients around until deal is done. Even worse if it's a 1st time buyer because you don't have a selling lead.

Selling = sit and wait for buying agents bring the right people to you. May be do some staging and open houses, that's about it.

Buying has no advertising/listing costs associated with it. Fuel costs to drive or meet a client at a house but that would be very minimal compared to the costs associated with a proper listing package.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:42 PM.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

For me I was bored out of my skull, 8-5pm stuck in an office. Seismic activity was at an all time low, literally had no work for 5+ years of the 11 years I worked at my last O&G company.

Now being self employed I make my own hours, and work when I feel like working. I golf 2-3 times a week, work-out during the day and take my kids to the movies on week days.

It almost seems surreal, feels like I'm retired, but at the same time making shit loads of money.

It was scary making the transition, so use to getting a steady paycheque, but now that I'm in a groove, I can't imagine going back to that mundaine routine.

No regrets
    In my experience working with my realtor, 'making my own hours' and 'working when I feel like working' seems like a bit of a stretch. In my case my realtor showed the places when I was available, which happened to be on friday night. Then the next afternoon (saturday) I put an offer in; My realtor had to leave his dinner plans and come meet me downtown for about an hour to retrieve my signature and finish the negotiations.... Definitely worth it for the paycheck that he got, but I wouldn't really consider those ideal hours.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by leftwing

In my experience working with my realtor, 'making my own hours' and 'working when I feel like working' seems like a bit of a stretch. In my case my realtor showed the places when I was available, which happened to be on friday night. Then the next afternoon (saturday) I put an offer in; My realtor had to leave his dinner plans and come meet me downtown for about an hour to retrieve my signature and finish the negotiations.... Definitely worth it for the paycheck that he got, but I wouldn't really consider those ideal hours.
    I agree, I drop everything for my clients when they need me, but with today's technology, getting a contract signed takes no time at all with docusign. They don't have to leave their home, and I don't have to leave mine.

As for ideal hours, every Realtor seems to manage their time differently. For me it's been amazing so far, and the clients I have worked with have been great.

With sales down so much from the peak, wouldn't the total pie of realtor commissions have shrunk considerably as well?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

The volume of transactions is still pretty high.

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    The volume of transactions is still pretty high.
    Not compared to 2014.

My Ride
    Bicycle

For me it's been amazing so far, and the clients I have worked with have been great.
    Client matters. If you keep yourself in the high end of the biz, you tends to have better clients and better commissions.

Some realtors I have met still have a day job and try to juggle both life. Or has went into property management on the side to have another income stream. It's definitely not all sunshine and rainbows like yourself and Jordan.

And I'm sick of 1 realtor keep cold calling me every year or so if my house is for sale, 12 years straight. I think some Indian family has a hardon for my house. It's always some Indian real estate agent.

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    With sales down so much from the peak, wouldn't the total pie of realtor commissions have shrunk considerably as well?
    The pie can never sustain every realtors in town anyway. It's just get more competitive and usually more established players can weather it better, just like everything else in business.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-11-2016 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

I wouldn't suggest becoming realtors lol... For every Jordan there's about 10000 realtors that are starving not knowing when their next commission check is coming in...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I feel like if I knew a lot of people with money well enough that being a realtor wouldn't be bad. I could then market myself as a high-end homes realtor.

It's all who you know.
    Last edited by msommers; 10-11-2016 at 10:40 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
    I wouldn't suggest becoming realtors lol... For every Jordan there's about 10000 realtors that are starving not knowing when their next commission check is coming in...
    Not sure if it would be 10,000 but it would still be a fair number
    My Dad is still doing quite well in real estate by he's in multi-million commercial realty where deals often take longer than 6 months to put together.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    # of overall real estate transactions is down = less work per realtor, combined with a glut of realtors in general. I don't see now being a good time to get in.

I have no doubt I could support myself financially doing it, I've been staging houses and taking photos since I was 16. Letting the current cushy gov job combined with the fuel sales business run its course and see how my investment of time and money in those two fields pan out. If they are a dud, I'll make a career change in 2 years by either going back to school or into something with minimal retraining that lets me utilize my fantastic charisma and social skills

:Rofl:

I personally believe any business opportunity requires a commitment of 5 years to be able to remotely evaluate its success. Technologist diploma worked so far (year 6), fuel business is looking promising (year 2, 100% year/year sales growth, looking to double if not triple next year).

RE agent may cut into my racing time, COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE
    It won't just cut into your racing time. Being a RE agent will cut into the last bit of respect anyone had for you.

Becoming an RE agent is basically announcing to the world that you're a moral less and selfish person. A type of person that's OK with supporting themselves by abusing a monopoly to scam the general public for over-priced commissions. The realtor commission structure is setup to encourage working against your own client while lying to them about how you're working in their best interest.

Realtors are pure trash.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Originally posted by RedDawn

It won't just cut into your racing time. Being a RE agent will cut into the last bit of respect anyone had for you.

Becoming an RE agent is basically announcing to the world that you're a moral less and selfish person. A type of person that's OK with supporting themselves by abusing a monopoly to scam the general public for over-priced commissions. The realtor commission structure is setup to encourage working against your own client while lying to them about how you're working in their best interest.

Realtors are pure trash.

wow

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Did a real estate agent fuck your wife or something?

Care to share your occupation so we can all judge the ivory tower you seem to live on?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Exploded.

My Ride
    TL

RedDawn has some serious resentment towards realtors, but I do think the MLS system is quite dysfunctional how it really puts the control with realtors. It's unfortunate, maybe there needs to be a rework in place

My Ride
    Bicycle

Realtors are pure trash.
    and

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast