Quantcast
Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Does anyone know if it matters if you start a business while on EI? I would think it would only make a difference if that business is profitable/paying you money, is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

I think SP had a similar idea where he was going to do some contract work at not take out any money from the business until his EI ran out. Don't know if anything came of it.

Well they do have the one very specific line in the report, have you completed any work that you will receive money for now or in the future. Always a big risk to do so if you get caught...

My Ride
    Ford F150

As long as long as you don't pull a salary or dividend for the period you're on EI you should be fine. Most businesses arent profitable on day one anyways.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Does anyone know if it matters if you start a business while on EI? I would think it would only make a difference if that business is profitable/paying you money, is that right?
    Here's the kicker - you need to be available 8am-4pm for full time work, or whatever they tell you that you need to be available for - or you are non-eligible for EI.

As soon as the hours of your business interfere with what they feel should be core working hours, they cancel your EI. If you're doing any sort of work or labor (including self-employed income) it needs to be declared, and a percentage of the value, up to certain values are deducted from your EI claim every couple weeks. It's a big pain in the ass from experience.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:36 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    It is kind of a BS rule though. I agree that people shouldn't be going to SAIT or UofC, online courses can be done fully outside of business hours, and are flexible around any job hunting activity or future job hours. I don't have to tell them how many hours I read at night before bed, or how many hours I spend doing recreational activities, or how many hours I spend on the can. Why do I have to tell them how many hours I spend doing self studying activities?
    /Rant
    Because I believe if you are going full time school, you can't get EI unless you are approved.

It's more like old rule doesn't quite adapt to the new world of internet.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I was pretty sure you don't qualify for EI if you get severance. Well, you do qualify but they don't start paying until after the amount of time passes that they expect your severance to have lasted you. Mine wasn't going to start paying for 16 months

Originally posted by Xtrema

Because I believe if you are going full time school, you can't get EI unless you are approved.

It's more like old rule doesn't quite adapt to the new world of internet.

I've always been curious how that whole scenario works. I have met my share of welders/similar programs who get "laid off" and then go get there upgraded ticket while receiving full EI and come back to company after done

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Swank
    Mine wasn't going to start paying for 16 months
    That's actually awesome and not .

You either enjoy some paid time off or find another job and get dual income for a period of time.

What would anyone want EI is beyond me. That's just to save your ass to buy you time to cope.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just a heads up on the nuts and bolts of the process.
    I initially requested a service canada access code, and THEN applied for EI.
    You really don't need to request that access code, as you will get one mailed to you after you do that initial application.

So, if your ROE is submitted online, you don't even need to look at it, just apply online right away, and then couble-check your ROE after they send you the access code.

I ended up with two access codes, which isn't really helpful.

So I filled out my first two Two-week reports today. Was out of the country for three weekdays. It's not too tough to figure out how they want that filled out, but it's annoying, you basically have to tell them three times that you weren't available for work. Sort of stupid, but it's government, what did I expect?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    that is basically it. Stay home and watch Netflix or play Xbox all you want... But don't you dare do something productive with your time!
    No kidding eh? EI sounds like a shit show

Originally posted by colinxx235

I've always been curious how that whole scenario works. I have met my share of welders/similar programs who get "laid off" and then go get there upgraded ticket while receiving full EI and come back to company after done
    If you can prove that you need to be "re-educated" in a different field because there is no work available in your current career and no other jobs available, you can get EI while being in school. Lots of people were on that program back when I was at NAIT. Very onerous though, you have to go to every class, have the instructor sign off you were there, and there are other rules.

All of this EI talk makes me happy that I have skills/abilities that require minimal capital and are cash-under-the-table type work.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So Telus have given me a severance package of approx 25k. EI website says I need to call them to find out how much of a delay there would be if I collect EI. How much delay did you guys experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Well they do have the one very specific line in the report, have you completed any work that you will receive money for now or in the future. Always a big risk to do so if you get caught...
    Does this apply to renovations as well? If I was to spend a bunch of time adding a bedroom to rent out, theoretically I'm going to be deriving future income from the work I'm doing.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by nzwasp
    So Telus have given me a severance package of approx 25k. EI website says I need to call them to find out how much of a delay there would be if I collect EI. How much delay did you guys experience?
    Find out what your weekly pay was before. Severance divided by weekly pay is the weeks of your EI delay will be.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    It's not complicated, every week you fill out a very simple online questionnaire. The weeks you're out of town, specify that. You don't receive benefits those weeks. They resume when you're back.
    Yep, and definitely do not try and get away without telling them. When a bunch of us were on EI about 6 years ago after getting laid off (my first and only time using it) one guy went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, already had it booked. Got caught when they flagged him as leaving the country, he had to pay back everything he had been paid up to that point, paid a hefty fine, and he was ineligible for EI for 5 years. Not worth the risk, just suck it up and lose the week or two of pay.

Funny, I was on it for several months and never had to say a word about applying for work. It surprised me actually, I assumed I'd be sending in contact info of places I was applying to. We actually get people in to work here now that just walk up to the front desk and ask if they can put us down as a place they applied at. They don't even bother applying, but want us to say they did. WTF.

Originally posted by FraserB

Does this apply to renovations as well? If I was to spend a bunch of time adding a bedroom to rent out, theoretically I'm going to be deriving future income from the work I'm doing.

I wouldn't know if that would apply, probably also depends if that is your main residence? As I was under the impression that income from renters isn't taxable (I could be wrong, I own a house and had a buddy rent for 9 months before moving home due to economy in Sept).

The main things I see it applying to are people doing under table jobs, or any Engineer consults doing lots of work and finding a way to invoice the client several months later for accumulated totals and dodging EI.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I wouldn't know if that would apply, probably also depends if that is your main residence? As I was under the impression that income from renters isn't taxable (I could be wrong, I own a house and had a buddy rent for 9 months before moving home due to economy in Sept).

The main things I see it applying to are people doing under table jobs, or any Engineer consults doing lots of work and finding a way to invoice the client several months later for accumulated totals and dodging EI.
    Income from renters is definitely taxable. Unless you are renting for significantly under market value (i.e. your brother is chipping you a few hundred for a cheap place to live) or your expenses out weigh your income.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast