Quantcast
How did he even make it to the cockpit? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How did he even make it to the cockpit?

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    HEs not charged with a DUI though. He's charged with having care and control of an aircraft while impaired which is a VERY serious federal offence.
    Well then that's even more ridiculous that he is facing such a joke of a punishment. That's how Canada rolls though. It will probably end up being even less, and on top of that he will probably still get time served credit for any time leading up to the verdict.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Then again I've always been of the opinion that a DUI should carry an attempted murder charge
    Referring strictly to driving a car, that sounds impossible as there is no victim unless you injure someone.

Originally posted by Feruk

Referring strictly to driving a car, that sounds impossible as there is no victim unless you injure someone.
    I know I am probably in the minority, but that's what I feel like. Driving intoxicated you already know that there's a decent chance you might kill someone, and you still make the decision to do so. Kind of like blindly firing a gun into a crowd - maybe you hit someone, maybe you don't - should you just get a slap on the wrist UNLESS you kill someone? In my opinion no, but again I realize I take a very harsh stance that may not be shared by others. Or maybe you intend to murder someone, but miss your shot - should you not get an attempted murder charge? I don't know the answer, but IMO you should. That pilot didn't injure anyone either, and may have miraculously completed the flight successfully if allowed to fly, but knowingly endangering those people IMHO deserves an extremely harsh penalty.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-21-2017 at 03:17 PM.

My Ride
    G6

I know I am probably in the minority, but that's what I feel like. Driving intoxicated you already know that there's a decent chance you might kill someone, and you still make the decision to do so. Kind of like blindly firing a gun into a crowd - maybe you hit someone, maybe you don't - should you just get a slap on the wrist UNLESS you kill someone? In my opinion no, but again I realize I take a very harsh stance that may not be shared by others. Or maybe you intend to murder someone, but miss your shot - should you not get an attempted murder charge? I don't know the answer, but IMO you should.
    In 2010, the USA had 112 million self-indicated instances of drunk drivers and 10,228 deaths related to it. Based on those stats (link below), every time you drink, you have about a 1 in 10,000 shot at killing someone. That doesn't even consider that some of those who died were the drunk drivers themselves.

Harsh? No, it's borderline insane to suggest an attempted murder charge.

http://visual.ly/united-states-drunk-driving-statistics

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I know I am probably in the minority, but that's what I feel like. Driving intoxicated you already know that there's a decent chance you might kill someone...
    I can appreciate where you're coming from, and the same could be said for texting, speeding, or swatting at 2 squabbling kids in the back seat - there's a decent chance those driving habits might result in killing someone.

Looking at both sides of the coin, how many fatal accidents have been avoided because the driver was drunk? Instead of blowing through the amber light cuz you didn't notice or care due to intoxication, you slam on the brakes, lose control, and end up with some corpses on your hands. Obviously there would be no way to have stats on that, no way to count it at all. And it would really be bad stats to have available, imagine the ad campaign at the liquor store showing how many lives drunk driving saved last year I'm not encouraging getting behind the wheel of anything drunk, just thinking out loud with text.

I guess in this case the pilot preferred to try to get away with it as calling in to work drunk one or more times doesn't exactly result in you keeping your job. Gambled and lost, but what a shitty gamble

I have a feeling regardless of the severity of the charges he will never fly commercially in north America again the public outcry would be insane, no company would touch him.

Should get a much harsher sentence though IMO

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Hes a contract pilot from Eastern Europe. He will likely get on with another carrier (outside N/A) without issues. There are experienced pilot shortages in several places around the world and so he should be OK if he keeps things on the down low.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    3 to 6 month sentence proposed??? Are you fucking kidding me?
    Well then that's even more ridiculous that he is facing such a joke of a punishment.
    3-6 months is the sentence proposed by his defence, it's her job to lowball.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Z

Well then that's even more ridiculous that he is facing such a joke of a punishment. That's how Canada rolls though. It will probably end up being even less, and on top of that he will probably still get time served credit for any time leading up to the verdict.
    why wouldn't he get credit for time served? He'd have been an innocent man in jail until convicted
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2