Quantcast
The BBQ and Smoking Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ and Smoking Thread

Exclamation

Originally posted by Dave P
    So who is doing some holiday smoking? Im thinking a bacon wrapped turkey in the smoker for xmas day.
    I'm thinking about smoking some pork shanks. Anyone ever done a shank? I need a good recipe.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Heads up for anyone looking at the Bradley Smokers... Canadian Tire has both models on sale until tomorrow. 499 for 399 and 399 for 299...

BBQ Galore will also match if you bring in a copy of the add.

The Vision Kamados are back in stock at Costco for $599. Waiting for price drop or when BGEs come back to buy one.

Check out this crazy temp/air controller:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Heads up for anyone looking at the Bradley Smokers... Canadian Tire has both models on sale until tomorrow. 499 for 399 and 399 for 299...

BBQ Galore will also match if you bring in a copy of the add.
    The lazy man in me is really tempted. Not having to fuss with coals is a big plus. Anyone have comments on electric versus charcoal taste/flavour wise?

Originally posted by phreezee

The lazy man in me is really tempted. Not having to fuss with coals is a big plus. Anyone have comments on electric versus charcoal taste/flavour wise?
    taste is a little different... compared to briquette's, its better

compared to lump... different

it tastes like just wood smoke, but not the charcoal itself, and as such, some items kinda taste like bacon (that type of smoke taste)

I am intriqued with buying one, strickly due to convenience, but the price of the refills has me turned off a bit

Get a Masterbuilt electric smoker then. It uses just regular wood chunks.

I read up on the Masterbuilt and apparently there's lots of complaints about metallic smoke taste due to the paint on the wood scoop.

Got advice from a Bradley owner and I've ruled it out. His cons list was longer than the pros list.

I have a Masterbuilt, there is no metallic smoke taste because there's no paint on the wood... scoop... What the fuck are these people even talking about? Paint isn't even made of metal.

Okay, some have Titanium dioxide in them. But my wood holder is just metal. Maybe the metal taste comes from the metal of the scoop.

U could always go for a propane smoker

My Ride
    TRD Pro

What were the negatives on the Bradley?
    I am planning on buying one tonight....

I know the wood chips are more expensive, but I figure thats a price you pay for being lazy. I used a friends on the weekend and it was great.. set, left it for 4 hours.. checked on it..added wood, left it again for another 3.
    Last edited by R-Audi; 03-19-2013 at 02:42 PM.

My Ride
    oooo

I have the Masterbuilt 30" Digital and I really like it.

Has a remote control too so I can keep an eye on the temperature without having to go outside.

Truth is I've only used it maybe 4 or 5 times but I made wings on it a couple weeks ago and they were deadly. Salmon came out good too. I really have no idea what I am doing with it but it is very forgiving and everything that has gone in has come out fantastic.

http://www.masterbuilt.com/index.php...al-smoker.html
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Hows the electricity consumption on these electric smokers? I'm thinking it uses a lot since it takes hours to smoke. Yes? no?

Originally posted by R-Audi
    What were the negatives on the Bradley?
    I am planning on buying one tonight....

I know the wood chips are more expensive, but I figure thats a price you pay for being lazy. I used a friends on the weekend and it was great.. set, left it for 4 hours.. checked on it..added wood, left it again for another 3.
    Probably too late but, he said it's hard to keep temps unless weather is perfect (windy, cold). The proprietary pucks is obvious. Tough to clean. But the clincher was he said his digital smoke generator froze and stopped working, after about 1.5 years ownership. Maybe he had a lemon?
    Last edited by phreezee; 03-19-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Originally posted by suntan
    I have a Masterbuilt, there is no metallic smoke taste because there's no paint on the wood... scoop... What the fuck are these people even talking about? Paint isn't even made of metal.

Okay, some have Titanium dioxide in them. But my wood holder is just metal. Maybe the metal taste comes from the metal of the scoop.
    Read about it last year when I was shopping them, maybe just older models: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-Ge...ews/B003XJGEGY

Or maybe the owner didn't properly season the smoker, don't know if it's required in the instructions.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Well I went and bought the Bradley digital anyways... ended up going to BBQ Galore and they price matched with Canadian Tire, so I am pretty happy about it all. Basically ended up with a free cover and two boxes of wood pucks for the regular price.
    They were a little shocked that Cdn Tire had them so cheap... they werent that happy about matching but did it anyways.

Originally posted by phreezee

Read about it last year when I was shopping them, maybe just older models: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-Ge...ews/B003XJGEGY

Or maybe the owner didn't properly season the smoker, don't know if it's required in the instructions.
    Yeah I suspect he didn't season it properly if at all.

The Amazon reviews are always eye-opening because it's clear that some people are incredibly shitty with following directions and assembling anything more complicated than a ham sandwich.

Oh yeah, another thing that will result in an acrid taste is smoking too much. Yes, there is such a thing. For most items you should only smoke for the first 3-5 hours. Any more and things get acrid. Also hickory is very strong and should be used lightly. Applewood is a much, much better beginner choice.
    Last edited by suntan; 03-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

Alright its been awhile since i have posted in here and ive got to say if you are serious about smoking and want an awesome BBQ i would pick up the big steel keg. I have always loved using charcoal over propane or natural gas and after a slight learning curve its super easy to maintain a 235 degree smoke for 14-16 hours, or a 800 degree steak sear, here is my current setup

Also another must have in my arsenal is the Oregon wireless digital thermometer best 50.00 dollars ever spent pop the probe unit in the smoker to monitor temperature take the wireless readout back up stairs a go back to bed the alarm will go off if it rises above your preset maximum temperature

As for recipes its all about trial and error through experimentation here is one of my favorites that a good starting point http://chefbolek.blogspot.ca/2011/07...ime-world.html I cant think of much more to say any questions i can gladly try to answer
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

I would love a big steel keg!!!

Check out this little beauty! Just saw this yesterday and it's the cheapest ceramic grill i've see....a little more in my price range.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/akorn-ka...tionPage=false

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sick dude. Glad to see you got the pennies together, that's both functional, and cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Sick dude. Glad to see you got the pennies together, that's both functional, and cool.
    Thanks i didnt think this was the right section for the making of part of the penny table so i put those pictures in the "what did you do around the house today" thread
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast