Quantcast
Replace or rebuild transmission? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Replace or rebuild transmission?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

First step: google
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    Was that with a T-5? That's something you easily could've tackled yourself. A few basic hand tools, snap ring pliers, feeler gauges, and a bearing puller is all you need. Super simple shit. If a trans shop can't work on one then that shop is full of monkeys.
    Yep. Good old T-5. Very weak transmission apparently despite having the "upgraded" SN95 version. This was National Transmission on Macleod. They gave me some line "all the gears are worn" Oh really? Even 3, 4, 5 and R? Which were gears that never grinded at all.

Second gear synchro in my accord is feeling a little worn. Wish I could get a better than OEM synchro installed in town I keep hearing that GM SynchroMesh is a decent band aid fluid. Any thoughts on that?

It's an easy enough job sure, but when you live in a condo it's not really possible. Plus when it's your only car and you just want it fixed quickly so that you can get to work tomorrow.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by raceman6135
    I'm a domestic car guy, and don't know much about this particular Honda transaxle, but I'm wondering if the output shaft bearings or bushings (whichever this vehicle uses) are worn so much that the shaft moves so much the seals can't do their job?

And perhaps on this transaxle, the output shaft bearings/bushings can't be replaced without partially disassembling the transmission?

If that were the case, by the time you disassemble both sides to replace the bearing/bushing, you might as well pull the entire transaxle and replace with a rebuilt one.

The labour charge to drop the transaxle, partially disassemble, replace the bearings, reassemble, and then reinstall the transaxle would be higher than simply R&Ring the entire assembly.

For example, on a GM TH400 transmission, there is an output shaft bushing at the very end of the tailshaft (right behind the seal) that can be replaced rather easily by removing the tailshaft. However, there is also a bushing further inside the case, and it can only be replaced by dropping the transmission and completely removing all the internal components in order to remove the output shaft. If you have to go through all of that work, you might as well replace friction discs and steels, bands, and a few other things while in there.

We certainly need more details about WHY the seals failed before we simply suggest throwing more seals at it.

A second inspection may reveal that the CV shafts are in bad shape where the seal rides (maybe a groove is worn into them, or there are nicks or burrs that damage the seal when the CV shafts are installed), which could also explain why seals that are only a couple of months old are already leaking.
    This... we have an 07 dodge ram that needs a new rear end. Symptons, constant leaking of the axle seals.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3