Quantcast
US car or Canadian car? Why do Canadians not like US cars? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: US car or Canadian car? Why do Canadians not like US cars?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default US car or Canadian car? Why do Canadians not like US cars?

US car or Canadian car? Why do Canadians not like US cars or is fear mongering?

I would rather have US spec car from most US places over a local car.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: US car or Canadian car? Why do Canadians not like US cars?

Originally posted by thetransporter
    US car or Canadian car? Why do Canadians not like US cars or is fear mongering?

I would rather have US spec car from most US places over a local car.
    For myself:
    -I don't know what would cause a US seller to want to export to Canada

On daily use:
    -I hate having to read the smaller scale on the speedo.
    -I can't use the odo to directly calculate L/100km
    -Temperature in deg F

Obviously I believe some of the newer cars can resolve some of those daily use issues I listed.

Because the percieved notion that someone brought a car from the US and is some how hosing you on the price.

A seller doesn't export the car to Canada. Someone goes, buys it and imports it. Generally, seller has no idea you're even from Canada.

Pros:
    Depending on where it's from, less rust.

Can always switch the speedo, etc. and some, like BMW require you to do so if you plan on keeping the warranty.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Speedo and temperature were already mentioned, and many vehicles can take care of that. Still, analog gauges are still common and I agree - having to read the smaller number can be a real pain on some vehicles.

I think I've always felt that if you brought a vehicle in from the US you probably got a smoking deal - and as such, the buyer feels you should pass the savings onto them.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Lots of things here are true... However, having purchased a car from the US in 2009, the selection of good quality used cars is car better down there. I was looking for something very particular (1998+ SC400) and to find a decent example in Canada was impossible. I purchased a low mileage one which was always a California car and although it was about 10 years old at the time, it was truly like brand new.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For a rare or collectible car, I think it makes a lot of sense to search the USA, and if it's from Cali or Arizona, it should be in great shape.
    For a common vehicle? The only reason is if you get a great deal, and therefore, when you sell it, expect to GIVE a great deal too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by Kloubek

I think I've always felt that if you brought a vehicle in from the US you probably got a smoking deal - and as such, the buyer feels you should pass the savings onto them.
    The savings is/was true though, my sister bought a new lexus when the dollar was near par and she saved huge.
    She knows it will be a tougher sell when time comes but i would think its still worth it.

My first car was from the USA, I have no regrets. It was about 40% cheaper than Canadian equivalents and a way better sample than anything I saw up here. MPH was annoying but you get used to it in the first 5 minutes and never think about it again. Also most speedos have the KM/h in tiny letters under the MPH if you can't do basic math. As long as the exchange rate is in your favor, and the costs to make it legal here are still in your favor, I think it's nice to have the option.

That being said I probably wouldn't buy a USA car locally unless they showed me what they paid for it because depending on when it was bought, they could have saved some huge money.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    My first car was from the USA, I have no regrets. It was about 40% cheaper than Canadian equivalents and a way better sample than anything I saw up here. MPH was annoying but you get used to it in the first 5 minutes and never think about it again. Also most speedos have the KM/h in tiny letters under the MPH if you can't do basic math. As long as the exchange rate is in your favor, and the costs to make it legal here are still in your favor, I think it's nice to have the option.

That being said I probably wouldn't buy a USA car locally unless they showed me what they paid for it because depending on when it was bought, they could have saved some huge money.
    Why does that matter?

Do you ask every other business what their profit margins are?

If someone went through the trouble of importing a vehicle at the right time in order to make some money then good on them!

At the end of the day, importing/ exporting cars is a business. If the customer is happy with his/her purchase then so be it (as long as the seller isn't selling the vehicle under false pretenses).

Originally posted by vengie

Why does that matter?

Do you ask every other business what their profit margins are?

If someone went through the trouble of importing a vehicle at the right time in order to make some money then good on them!

At the end of the day, importing/ exporting cars is a business. If the customer is happy with his/her purchase then so be it (as long as the seller isn't selling the vehicle under false pretenses).
    It would bother me. Or I would just go get the same deal myself if it was still an option. If they were trying to sell a USA car for the same money as a Canadian car, why would I want that? It's just going to be that much harder for me to sell when I'm done with it, not to mention the extra hassle I have to go through to confirm it is legal to drive in Canada.

And yes, I almost always know profit margins (or original purchase price) on vehicle purchases, it's part of the research process.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It shouldn't matter, but it does. A lot of people have a zero-sum mentality, and therefore is someone selling an item is getting a big win, then the person buying must be loosing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Reason why I asked

I listed a friends toyota landcruiser (is it two words or one word?) anyway as LHD I got a few calls saying "oh its from US , we dont want it " they wanted a Canadian land cruiser. I am not sure .........

My Ride
    '16 Civic

LOL It only bothers people because people are naturally greedy. The second you find out that the last guy got a smoking deal, you need to be a part of it too because if you're not, you're being 'ripped' off.

If it was still an option, you would've already gone down to the states to buy straight up but since it's not right now, too bad.

I might want a USA car because it's cleaner, or hard to find. Like Land Cruiser or perhaps a classic? For a Honda Civic, forget it.
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

My Ride
    '16 Civic

Originally posted by thetransporter
    Reason why I asked

I listed a friends toyota landcruiser (is it two words or one word?) anyway as LHD I got a few calls saying "oh its from US , we dont want it " they wanted a Canadian land cruiser. I am not sure .........
    They're idiots because Toyota hasn't made a Land Cruiser for the Canadian market since 1995 when the LX450 was released. So unless you're selling a ghetto model, anything newer and similar to the Lexus design, they'll have to get that or get a US TLC
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Because the percieved notion that someone brought a car from the US and is some how hosing you on the price.

A seller doesn't export the car to Canada. Someone goes, buys it and imports it. Generally, seller has no idea you're even from Canada.

Pros:
    Depending on where it's from, less rust.

Can always switch the speedo, etc. and some, like BMW require you to do so if you plan on keeping the warranty.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I wouldnt even waste a reply if you asked me to show you what i paid if i was selling a US car lol How do you figure you should get the discounted price when you didnt do any of the work or take advantage of the market when it was at par.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Rocket1k78
    I wouldnt even waste a reply if you asked me to show you what i paid if i was selling a US car lol How do you figure you should get the discounted price when you didnt do any of the work or take advantage of the market when it was at par.
    You've got a point. Do it yourself if it's so easy. It's kind of like thinking you can buy a condo for what it cost 15 years ago

My Ride
    2013 C63 AMG , 2022 Acura RDX A Spec, 2005 BMW M3

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    You've got a point. Do it yourself if it's so easy. It's kind of like thinking you can buy a condo for what it cost 15 years ago
    I'd just give him a random address in the middle of no where to waste his time
    2022 Acura RDX A Spec
    2013 C63 AMG Sedan
    2006 Nissan X-Trial
    2005 Bmw M3 vert
    2008 Ducati 848
    1977 Ford F150

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Exactly!

Sir, i pulled up your assessment from 15 years ago and back then you only paid $200k for your home. You're asking over 400K now and although its worth that i would like to offer you 300k because i dont think its fair youre making so much money off of me. I do understand you could easily sell this to anyone else for your price but im an entitled prick who wants a free hand out so please accept my offer that way we can both be happy

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

A US car carries variables a Canadian car doesn't. People worry about inspections, MPH, how it was imported, were any corners cut when adding daytime running lights, warranty, etc. Then there's always the question of why you have an American car in the first place and many think it's because you got it cheap. I mean if you have the choice of two identical cars one Canadian one American I couldn't fault anyone for choosing the Canadian one. I would probably choose the Canadian car as well.
    Last edited by heavyD; 04-13-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast