Quantcast
Screamfest Experience - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Screamfest Experience

My Ride
    VAG products

Default Screamfest Experience

Sorry if its long! Coles notes at the end.

Last night, my girlfriend (no pics ), and two friends went to Scream fest. One of my friends who came with us is in a wheelchair and we assumed Scream fest would be accessible for him to enjoy it just as much as we anticipated... but it turned out to be the complete opposite

Before I start... None of us had ever gone before and did not know what to expect of the handicap accessibility.

When we had purchased our tickets NONE of the staff suggested it may be difficult to get our friend through or about the million flights of stairs... (yea in hindsight we should have asked, but we figured if they sold him it no problem, there must have been a way)

This is where the assholery begins.

We got out of the ticket purchase area and arrive to a HUGE staircase, so we ask the security guy if there is a ramp or a way to get him down. First, he bickers with the other security guard about who has to help carry him down because apparently that was the only way. Next, we could clearly hear them bickering about who has to do it. So finally the initial guard who talks to us tells us we have to do it.. and we're said "okay... fine, thanks for nothing..."
    And then he fucks off and doesn't even offer to help at all.

We attempt to take him down the stairs and at the halfway point a medic truck came and actually brought us around to the OTHER way we could have taken (props to them). He also shows us the way around and a better place to pick him up that would be much easier than combating flights of stairs...

Finally, we are in, and its a fucking gong show in there ( I guess 9pm on a Saturday is a shitty time to go? lol) We cruise around and realize that we are not going to be able to get him in ANYTHING and decide to leave and opt for a refund thinking it would be an understandable situation that would grant us our money back or even a rain check (which the medic suggested when he saw us leaving)

We get to the ticket purchase counter, and KINDLY explain our situation to the lady out our desk and asked for a raincheck or a refund. She quickly in a "I don't give a fuck attitude" says " noooooo sorry. No refunds." I was apalled at the way she treated us (and yah, I saw the NO REFUNDS on the sign, but come on... give us a break) I told her "thanks for nothing" and just walked away from it.

At the end of it, we were all out 20$, not scared, and pissed at the attitude and service we got ( minus the medic)

We have contacted the owner of Scream fest about it and were seeing what might be done. Hopefully it will be contained before we take this one step further.

Before you hate, yes, we possibly could have asked or checked ahead, but I did look at their website and it didn't say handicap NON accessible

and excuse my shitty grammar/punctuation. I'm lazy

Coles notes:

-Went to Screamfest on Saturday with friends (one in wheelchair)
    - Get no warning regarding handicap accessibility
    -asshole security guards promt us to carry him down lots of stairs
    -Find out it is very difficult to take him through and couldn't go through any "haunted houses"
    -decide to leave and get a refund
    -ticket clerk didn't refund us
    -we leave pretty upset about the whole situation and contact owner of screamfest

update:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoke with the owner of Screamfest and he was very upset with the situation and how some of his staff had acted.

He offered us four speed passes and our money back on any night we wish!
    (so long as we show him our unmarked wristbands, which we have)

He was very also adamant about finding out which ticket clerk and security guards served us. He told us he's considering firing them. But that is his choice.

Props to the owner for understanding our situation and compensating us! Thanks!!

thanks for listening to my random shit that most won't give a fuuu about.
    Last edited by pf0sh0; 10-25-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Phone Tony Tigh at Global. They'd love this story.

That's a terrible way to spend an evening. I can't stand how people who work at these places have that "I couldn't give a shit" attitude.

Maybe make a few comments here:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calgar...y/134733865732
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 10-24-2010 at 08:17 PM.

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Funny cause I thought that this would be one of those stories that would make the news.

But, I think I'll wait to hear from the owner to contact us first before taking it to that level.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

You have a girl friend? Pics!

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    VAG products

It really was a bummer man. Total moodkill after we left.

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by Joe-G
    You have a girl friend? Pics!
    Post some of yours + Loida... then maybe I'll consider it.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I understand your frustration, but I think blame isn't the only avenue that can be navigated in this situation.

Just as a question, maybe you can ask yourself this.

"What could I have done to avoid or minimize the chances that this event is not wheelchair friendly."

"If the responsibility was 100% mine and it was 100% up to me to prevent a situation where you and your friends are turned away because of accessibility, what would you do?"

I don't wanna sound insensitive, but it's always so easy to blame other people, while avoiding taking any responsibility for situations that are totally in your control.

Could you have called ahead of time and inquired about the accessibility issues?
    Probably.

Is there other things you could have done to minimize the risk, yes.

To be clear, I'm not blaming you, I'm simply saying that it's not productive to remove any personal accountability for your actions and failed ventures.

It's unfortunate that this person is in this situation, but the world does not owe this person anything, and nor does it have to cater to their every need.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    VAG products

^^^ true, totally agree.

It was a really spur of the moment "lets go" type deal, so we didn't investigate very hard.The doubt did cross my mind and I assumed if the site didn't say otherwise.

I understand, I could have asked the clerks but at the same time.. they also didn't say much.

I do assume some "blame", but the way we were treated was fucking atrocious .

Originally posted by Modelexis
    I understand your frustration, but I think blame isn't the only avenue that can be navigated in this situation.

Just as a question, maybe you can ask yourself this.

"What could I have done to avoid or minimize the chances that this event is not wheelchair friendly."

"If the responsibility was 100% mine and it was 100% up to me to prevent a situation where you and your friends are turned away because of accessibility, what would you do?"

I don't wanna sound insensitive, but it's always so easy to blame other people, while avoiding taking any responsibility for situations that are totally in your control.

Could you have called ahead of time and inquired about the accessibility issues?
    Probably.

Is there other things you could have done to minimize the risk, yes.

To be clear, I'm not blaming you, I'm simply saying that it's not productive to remove any personal accountability for your actions and failed ventures.

It's unfortunate that this person is in this situation, but the world does not owe this person anything, and nor does it have to cater to their every need.
    Sure, they could have called ahead. But the Einstein selling the tickets could have looked up from his or her cash register for half a second, in between blowing bubbles, snapping gum, and texting friends and once saw a wheel chair was in the midst, politely informed; "I'm sorry we have no handicap access, do you still want tickets?" Then at the very least, when the customer couldn't partake of the venue's event because of this, could have made an exeption and given their money back.
    DB move on all parties of Screamfest.
    Should be interesting to see if management even addresses the situation.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I think it's virtuous that you are able to recognize a level of responsibility in this situation.

On the topic of who's fault it was to notify who.
    It could be said, rationally I think, that you failed to notify the attendant ahead of time and the attendant failed to speak up as well.

So I would say these two failures contradict each other and almost cancel each other out. The no refund sign was posted so that is a debatable topic, but I think the initial entry with lack of communication was equal.

In defense of the attendant, this person doesn't know their handicap, and it could be just as likely that this person rolls around in a chair and uses walking canes when they arrive at a point that requires walking.

I agree that the right thing to do would be to refund, despite their policy, but they aren't legally obligated to.

At least it didn't end with a screamfest between you and the security/ticket salespeople.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 10-24-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Originally posted by C_Dave45

That's a terrible way to spend an evening. I can't stand how people who work at these places have that "I couldn't give a shit" attitude.

Maybe make a few comments here:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calgar...y/134733865732
    Not all of the people working at Screamfest have the "I couldn't give a shit attitude" - this I would know because I know numerous people working out there (including my wife and two sons) and they certainly don' t go about their lives with that type of attitude.

What is unfortunate is how the situation was handled with respect to the OP and to his credit, I will agree - there is nothing on Screamfest's web site or at the on-site ticket office (from what I can remember) that would indicate that this event is not handicapped friendly. And yes, it is entirely possible that the OP happened upon a very unobservant ticket seller, but Modelexis did also bring up some very valid points with regards to what the OP could have done with respect to the situation. After all, it is COP and the terrain out there is not, for the most part, very handicapped friendly.

But regardless of any of the above, the proper thing would be for the owners to contact the OP and provide a refund despite the posted signage and to that end, OP - please keep us updated with respect to this situation.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by speedog
    Not all of the people working at Screamfest have the "I couldn't give a shit attitude" - this I would know because I know numerous people working out there (including my wife and two sons) and they certainly don' t go about their lives with that type of attitude.
    Totally agree with you. My bad. I should have worded it differently. It's unfortunate when one DOES deal with workers like that. But certainly there are many who will go above and beyond and actually be helpful...in every business. No dis to your family.

My Ride
    VAG products

I'm sure your wife and and two sons weren't involved.

It was a terrible experience lol. But I think things will be sorted out.

I'll keep you guys updated

LOL what the fuck is going on in the world. Everything is sue-able, everything is complain-able, everything can be cried about. Have you seen the majority of people working at screamfest? It's either teenagers or carnies. They don't give a flying fuck about anything, all they do is stand there, probably high as fuck, take money, hand out tickets, and text. You admitted that you didn't do your due dilligence regarding the wheelchair problem. You didn't call ahead, you didn't look it up online, and you didn't even ask at the counter. After all that, there was a clear NO REFUND sign up. I understand what you're saying about the insensitivity, 100%. But none of it was their fault. I just don't understand what complaining to the owner or going to the damn NEWS would do? Let it go, forget about the $20 bucks, and move on in life. This is why I hate the motherfuckers who sue for millions when they slip and fall in Mcdonalds. The funniest part about the whole post is the italicized threat. "Before we take this one step further". Why? Did they kill someone? Again, I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm attacking the general idea of going to a stupid place like Screamfest and expecting ANY standard of service or outstanding courtesy, and then remixing the situation to make it sound like they spat on someone.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Funny thing is i knew one of the owners of that place, and to say the least, im not surprised at the attitude you got from your experience there (with my experiences dealing with them).

Definitely bring it to the news though.
    Only good things could possibly come from that.

My Ride
    TSX / R6S

Originally posted by Scuderia
    LOL what the fuck is going on in the world. Everything is sue-able, everything is complain-able, everything can be cried about. Have you seen the majority of people working at screamfest? It's either teenagers or carnies. They don't give a flying fuck about anything, all they do is stand there, probably high as fuck, take money, hand out tickets, and text. You admitted that you didn't do your due dilligence regarding the wheelchair problem. You didn't call ahead, you didn't look it up online, and you didn't even ask at the counter. After all that, there was a clear NO REFUND sign up. I understand what you're saying about the insensitivity, 100%. But none of it was their fault. I just don't understand what complaining to the owner or going to the damn NEWS would do? Let it go, forget about the $20 bucks, and move on in life. This is why I hate the motherfuckers who sue for millions when they slip and fall in Mcdonalds. The funniest part about the whole post is the italicized threat. "Before we take this one step further". Why? Did they kill someone? Again, I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm attacking the general idea of going to a stupid place like Screamfest and expecting ANY standard of service or outstanding courtesy, and then remixing the situation to make it sound like they spat on someone.
    +1

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by Scuderia
    I get what you mean but I never said I was going to sue them and I did check online( coulda done more.. I get it)

Only reason I italicized it was because some people had suggested going to the news etc., but I thought it was important to note I wasn't going to without speaking with the owner. Not to emphasize a threat.

My Ride
    ESI-R

You didn't really miss out on anything. Waiting in line for 45 mins. just for a 2 minute walk through 2 connected trailers filled with cheesy decorations. And don't get me started about the kids. ugh.

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

isn't it a requirement to have pretty much any type of business handicap accessible these days?
    Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    G6

Only dick move I see on their part is not refunding you. However, I don't see them as having done anything else wrong. You'd think your buddy in the wheelchair would realize that... he's in a wheelchair... and ask about the accessibility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast