Quantcast
Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced?

Default Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced?

Hey guys,

So I just got my first speeding ticket since I started driving. I was going 142 in a 110 zone around Cochrane, and this cop turned on his lights and pulled me over

I've heard lots of instances of people taking their tickets to trial and getting their fines reduced by a significant amount, but since I'm new to this all, I'm not sure how that works.

Do I just set an appointment to go downtown, and then plead guilty, and actively ASK the judge for a reduced fine? If so, what are some statements that usually work? I'm just afraid they've heard the "I'm a student accumulating school loan debt etc etc" far too many times..

Anyways, any help at all is greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Yes I know there is a giant sticky above, but I don't really see the specifics of speaking to the crown elaborated on...
    http://www.youtube.com/jjianc/

Nadeau & Associates

Bring your ticket to these guys.
    Curse you imageshack..

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

So you got pulled over by an RC? I don't think they are as friendly as CPS.

Originally posted by YCB
    Nadeau & Associates

Won't that cost me more money?

Originally posted by lilmira
    So you got pulled over by an RC? I don't think they are as friendly as CPS.
    Yeah, it was an RC... Do I have no hope?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced?

Originally posted by Chojo
    EDIT: Yes I know there is a giant sticky above, but I don't really see the specifics of speaking to the crown elaborated on...
    What specifics were you expecting? A secret handshake? A password? It really doesn't get much more clearer than that and even if it didn't this topic is brought up so many times you could've searched.

Just go down there and tell them you didn't know you weren't allowed to speed.

Default Re: Re: Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced?

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

What specifics were you expecting? A secret handshake? A password? It really doesn't get much more clearer than that and even if it didn't this topic is brought up so many times you could've searched.

Just go down there and tell them you didn't know you weren't allowed to speed.
    I did try a search, but I wanted just a bit more clarification.

The one piece of applicable information on the sticky states that "This would be where you would go to argue any sort of disagreement between what the Peace Officer said happened, and what you say happened."

Obviously, I know that I just tell them straight up what happened. I was just under the impression they might be getting less tolerant of the cliche pleas for reducing fines, and wanted to see how people usually go about this.
    Last edited by Chojo; 12-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.

luxor Guest

Default Re: Re: Re: Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced?

Obviously, I know that I just tell them straight up what happened. I was just under the impression they might be getting less tolerant of the cliche pleas for reducing fines, and wanted to see how people usually go about this.
    Wait till Kloubek comes in, his "advice" to you will be "just pay it" LMAO.

Although this thread is fucking redundant and I normally wouldn't even bother telling your to SEARCH, I will just tell you since I'm already here. Go see the Justice of Peace, wherever that is due to the fact that it was RCMP who issued you the ticket, and say you plead guilty to a reduced fine. Then talk to the crown and just ask for a reduction. That's all, you don't need any sob stories or bullshit excuses, now get on that.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Re: Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced?

I was just under the impression they might be getting less tolerant of the cliche pleas for reducing fines, and wanted to see how people usually go about this.
    Tell them you had a turtle head poking out, and were trying to get home to go the the washroom, but because you were pulled over, you ended up shitting your pants. Then provide shit laden underwear as proof.

They probably haven't heard that one often, at least not with evidence in hand
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Newbie to speeding tickets! What's the general strategy to have the fine reduced?

Originally posted by luxor

Wait till Kloubek comes in, his "advice" to you will be "just pay it" LMAO.

Although this thread is fucking redundant and I normally wouldn't even bother telling your to SEARCH, I will just tell you since I'm already here. Go see the Justice of Peace, wherever that is due to the fact that it was RCMP who issued you the ticket, and say you plead guilty to a reduced fine. Then talk to the crown and just ask for a reduction. That's all, you don't need any sob stories or bullshit excuses, now get on that.
    Lol, thank you, that's all I needed to know. I just thought they would ask you for a reason why you want the fine reduced.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Man, you know, you block a guy and you *still* get his bullshit attitude coming through quotes from other people. I mean - you're quoting shit from what... a year ago? Two? Time to find new material.

Actually, my first piece of "advice" would be to search the board since this has been discussed probably more than any other topic over the years.

But for the record - you're right... if this was me, I'd just pay it and be done with it. It isn't like I've never fought tickets before - but I've only fought those where I believed the cop was being unreasonable. I know, I know Luxor... you believe cops are useless and we should be able to do whatever we want. We have differing opinions. Get over it.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Man, you know, you block a guy and you *still* get his bullshit attitude coming through quotes from other people. I mean - you're quoting shit from what... a year ago? Two? Time to find new material.

Actually, my first piece of "advice" would be to search the board since this has been discussed probably more than any other topic over the years.

But for the record - you're right... if this was me, I'd just pay it and be done with it. It isn't like I've never fought tickets before - but I've only fought those where I believed the cop was being unreasonable. I know, I know Luxor... you believe cops are useless and we should be able to do whatever we want. We have differing opinions. Get over it.
    I'm with Kloubek on this one. You know you were speeding, and not a little bit, if you get caught you pay for it. If you were going 110 and for some reason got a ticket then yeah I'd probably fight it or get it reduced. But you were the one speeding, knowingly speeding. You have to pay to play, remember.
    -U

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Calling them will give you an idea of what you can get, then go to the Justice of Peace and ask for the same. Since its RCMP you might have to go to another Court House not the one downtown.
    If its your first time they might be willing to help you more.
    As far as i know its first come first serve.
    Call before you go and give the clerk your ticket number so they can check to make sure its in the system to save you a trip.
    Put on a suit and tie.
    Dont expect any change in the demerits but they might lower the fine and give you an extension.
    or you can just pay it in full and save your time. Or pay it late and get hit with a fee.

WHAT IS YOUR TIME WORTH?

Do a search I know I have seen this before on here.
    Last edited by roll_over; 12-04-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Originally posted by YCB
    Nadeau & Associates

+1

This guy is the man... Got a ticket at the end of this past summer so I took it to him on the advice of a friend. Asked me if I wanted to keep the points and lose the fine, lose the points and keep the fine, or reduce points and fine. I told him that I heard you can't get rid of the points all together anymore. He just laughed and said leave it to him so I asked him to try and get no points and take the fine. Paid him his $40.00 and left. Calls me the day after the court date and got exactly that... No points but I paid the fine. More than pleased! Best $40.00 I have ever spent...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You can't go to the Calgary courts for this ticket, it will be in Cochrane's jurisdiction. There will be a little checkbox with the appropriate courthouse next to it.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Attend to the court of jurisdiction on the first appearance date (the date written on the front of the ticket). I'm going to assume Cochrane court house will be where the court is set for. If you go downtown Calgary they will tell you to pay the entire amount or go away, its not their jurisdiction.

When you arrive in the morning at the cochrane court house, find the "first appearance crown". There will no doubt be a line or a wait...15 min to 2 hours, depends on the day.

Once you find the first appearance crown ask him to please reduce the fine and you will plead guilty and pay that day. Chances are, unless the crown is a prick or in a bad mood, that they would entertain a 15 over (2 demerits $89) at the very least they will round you down from a 4 demerit offence (32 over) to a 3 demerit offence (30 over) and reduce the fine to match. If its your first speeding ticket in a long time, make sure to say so, it does matter.

You can ask the first appearance crown for whatever deal you want, the worst he's going to say is no. If he's in an "i don't care, I want to go home or do something else" mood he might make you a great deal just to get you out of his office.

Good luck

Originally posted by tirebob

+1

This guy is the man... Got a ticket at the end of this past summer so I took it to him on the advice of a friend. Asked me if I wanted to keep the points and lose the fine, lose the points and keep the fine, or reduce points and fine. I told him that I heard you can't get rid of the points all together anymore. He just laughed and said leave it to him so I asked him to try and get no points and take the fine. Paid him his $40.00 and left. Calls me the day after the court date and got exactly that... No points but I paid the fine. More than pleased! Best $40.00 I have ever spent...
    Yeah, $40.00 per ticket, and you generally save an additional 20-30% on top.

I mainly did it so I wouldn't have to take a day off work to deal with the c-train, downtown, and waiting in line.

You got the ticket because you got caught and messed up.. you gotta pay for it.. these guys just makes it just a bit easier.
    Curse you imageshack..

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Just tell them you thought the posted speed limit was only a suggestion and it never occured to you that you were breaking the law.(let me know how that works)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

sorry if this is posted but i was not going to read every post

on your ticket it has a court date that date is just to make a plea (guilty or not guilty)

if you know your at fault and just want it reduced then on that date do to the court and speak to the justice of peace and tell them you would like a reduced fine and bam easy as that they will reduce it right there and cost you nothing more then the reduced fine

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

haha to the just pay its.

Bull-shit if you have the chance to get a discount you take it!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Good luck in Cochrane court. Another beyonder hired a lawyer to drive there ($$$) to fight his ticket, and got absolutely no fine reduction or demerits. Small time courts aren't backed up like Calgary, so they don't hand out reductions like here.

I've gotten lucky there once, cop didn't show up for the court date.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast