Quantcast
Los Angeles for a week. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Los Angeles for a week.

My Ride
    E46 M3

Default Los Angeles for a week.

Going to do some googling too but thought I'd get some Beyond feedback as well.

Going to LA for the first time with the wifey. Are there ever any deals on tickets/admission to Disneyland or Universal Studios? We are planning to do 2-3 days at each theme park.
    Any personal recommendations on must-eat places or things to see/do in LA?

Also, is it relatively safe to walk around LA (near the beach) at night time? We've never really been to this type of city before in the US.

My Ride
    V8s

For disneyland, get a park hopper or whatever for at least one day. Also, for any new attractions, make sure you line up for a speedpass in the morning, or do the singles line (I did the speedpass). Makes life so much easier, and I wish someone told me to do that before I went.

When I went to Universal Studios, they had a place where they were giving away free tickets for a Leno taping either that night or the day after or something. I'm not even the biggest fan of Leno, but did it anyways, and it was actually a really really cool experience. Universal was awesome too, big fan of the studio tour and the transformers 4d experience, that was fuckin sweet.

Also, I do not recommend doing a star tour in hollywood. I did one back in like '08 and it was pretty sweet, but I have friends that went last year and said it was lame ass because all the big stars moved elsewhere pretty much. It consisted of a lot of "so and so used to live here, but they moved". If you have a rented car, it's worth a trip to just putter around in Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive though. I just wouldn't pay someone for it.

Venice beach is a must see, but make sure you get out of there before 8pm. It's sketchy during the day and way sketchier at night.

I'm sure other ppl will chime in with more useful info.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Check out the various versions of the "smart destinations card".

you can choose prepackged bundles, or build your own. I prefer the "build your own" option, as you get exactly what you want and save 20%.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by cjblair

Venice beach is a must see, but make sure you get out of there before 8pm. It's sketchy during the day and way sketchier at night.

I'm sure other ppl will chime in with more useful info.
    Santa Monica pier as well. Venice Beach is a must see during the day, just walk along the boardwalk. Lots of cool street art and people watching

My Ride
    A250

My girlfriend and I did 1 day park hopper for Disneyland and it felt pretty hectic. We managed to go on the rides we wanted to, but because you're planning on spending 2-3 days at each park, it'll definitely be more enjoyable. I didn't get to go to Universal Studios this time but personally I like that park more than Disneyland.

There's a bunch of fancy restaurants in LA if you're into those things. A quick google search will pull up a list but our personal favourite was Providence.

If you don't mind driving a bit out of town, El Matador Beach is beautiful and significantly less busy compared to the other beaches (or I might have just been lucky).

In my opinion, Griffith Observatory is worth a trip as you can see the sunset there or enjoy the beautiful views at night since it's on top of the hill. Hopefully someone else can chime in but the traffic going to the Observatory is insane at certain times of day.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Since it's your first time, yeah check out Venice beach. It's a total tourist trap but there's lots of shops and people and stuff. The beach itself is okay.

Santa Monica beach isn't as busy by comparison and there's free parking for the first hour (or two?) at some of the lots along 1444 4th St.

If you want a beach to relax and hang out during the day, go to the Anaheim/Orange County beaches like Huntington or Newport. They're much cleaner and less people. I went to Huntington in January during the day and there was almost nobody there.

Griffith Observatory is cool and free (? I didn't pay, wasn't sure if I was supposed to haha). I'd go to that at night.

Depending on when you're going, maybe go watch a game at Staples Center. LA Live is across the street and it's kind of an entertainment area with theatres and restaurants.

You can also try catching a Jimmy Kimmel or Conan recording. I'm not sure about Kimmel, but if you want to watch Conan, I think the recordings start at 4 or 5, but you need to be there before noon the latest. If you don't get tickets in advance, check the website the morning of the day you want to go because sometimes they release last minute tickets.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

a budget and interests would help to customize suggestions, LA is just so big with so many different areas and things to do

but i guess i could tell you about my last trip down there? i've done all the theme park stuff in the past, even going as a youth it never really interested me, but for purely rides only knott's berry farm was pretty fun

this last trip we went with a mix of luxury and beach, was just an extended weekend

day 1: rented a ducati, rode up the PCH to malibu for lunch, then rode around the canyons, did the entire length of mulholland hwy, back to the hotel in beverly hills and got ready for dinner, grabbed an uber and headed over to nobu (if you like fusion sushi, this place is awesome, but $$$$) then back in an uber and off to a lounge in hollywood

day 2: returned the bike, shop was down near venice beach so we went down there got a coffee and walked the whole boardwalk... its uh... interesting, lots of sketchy people selling weird art, tacky ass shops that sell the same stupid ass clothes the whole way down, and a hell of a lot of "doctors" trying to sell you an exam for medical weed. after that it was over to in n out for some of the best food for a hangover you can get, then we drove down the coast alllll the way to la jolla (huge time waste, but you do get to pass through a bunch of cool little beach towns, the freeway is MUCH faster though). checked into the hotel and went for dinner.

day 3: booked a surf lesson for a couple hours, that was fun. then grabbed some awesome mexican food for lunch, and then passed out on the roof top patio at the hotel for a few hours in the sun, then dinner and bed

day 4: went for a massage, then breakfast at some crazy pancake house and drove back to LA and hopped on the plane

You're going to be in for a nice shock with Venice beach and the chinese theatre if you've seen it on tv and movies. Venice beach is a shithole but cool to see if you like wierdo watching, go during the day though. We noticed most popular beach areas get pretty shady at night so be careful. I would do atleast 2 days for disney because 1 is way too rushed, take a day or 2 off in between though. Unless you're both into theme parks i would save universal for the next time around because universal is a full day thing.

Traffic is a nightmare and the freeways are intense so bring a gps or rent 1. Plan out your activities according to area so that you're not driving all over. The distances might be short according to google but the traffic is so bad it could literally take you an hour to drive a short distance.

If you like scary things, do the queen mary in long beach. We did the ghosts tour and there was only another couple with us that day and it was fucking scary.

If you're more specific about shopping im sure people can narrow down places. Glendale galleria is a cool place to check out

The food in LA is insane because theres so much choice.

I've been to LA lots and for the most part its pretty safe, the only time i really felt uneasy was the first time we went to venice beach because we got there as the sun set and it was just me and my gf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

OT, but I prefer San Diego to LA. Headed there for a week tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Everyone always talks about Venice and Santa Monica. Total tourist traps and overrated as hell. Venice beach is the biggest dump ever. Santa Monica is the exact opposite with very high rents so you get a lot of overpriced restaurants and boutiques. Go to those places if you wanna hang out with other clueless tourists and homeless people.

Go to any other beach - Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan. If you don't mind a drive, go down to the OC beaches - Hungtington, Newport, Laguna. Way cheaper food, free parking, and you will feel safer in the OC. I'd rate LA as the least tourist friendly place in the world. Everything is a hour drive and one wrong turn and you end up in the 'hood.

Like other mentioned the best part about LA for me is the food. They have the best of every type of cuisine - Korean, Japanese, Mexican are all top notch and super cheap. There's a guide to LA/California on this forum if you search for it.

If you are going to Disney, buy the California pass from Costco. You'll get 3 day pass to Disneyland and California adventure, Universal Studios and Seaworld. And I agree, Santa Monica and Venice is a tourist trap, but if it's your first time, might as well check it out. I prefer Newport and Huntington however, I usually stay in Anaheim so it's closer to those beaches.

Originally posted by Clever
    And I agree, Santa Monica and Venice is a tourist trap, but if it's your first time, might as well check it out.
    you have to do the tourist trap things your first time around.

I'll admit though, ive been to venice beach more than once lol Its a shithole of a place but still an interesting way to kill an hour or two

we rented bicycles in santa monica. i thought that was a kick-ass afternoon activity.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

If you are going to universal studios get the vip pass, or at least the fast pass. IMO, it's worth it for what you pay. Free valet parking, food when you get there, gourmet lunch, private tour to places you wouldn't be able to visit with just the regular pass and a few extras. Make sure to book ahead of time. Even my frugal wife who didn't even know what Hollywood was thought it was worth it. Six flags is a good one as well if you like rides. There are plenty of things to do as well in San Diego if you can put it in your schedule.

my wife has most of her family in Socal, and we fly into LAX probably 2-3 times a year

we have come to the conclusion that there is nothing to be offered to a tourist in LA, outside of decent restaurants... otherwise unless you are interested in seeing an incredibly polarized view of afluance and poverty... there is nothing offered.

She has family in woodland hills, thousand oaks etc... but they are really just suburbs.

yes its cool to check out Sunset blvd on the west side, Santa monica, Universal etc... but if you want a good Socal experience... Go south, enjoy the piers all the way down in Orange, and into Carlsbad/San Diego

Anything east of LA is ghetto until you get far enough into Palm Desert/Springs which is also fun, but way too hot at this time of year to be enjoyable.

There are endless things to do, but I prefer the areas south and north of LA county