Quantcast
Home Security Companies - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Security Companies

Default Home Security Companies

hey guys,

i just moved into a new home, and i'm looking at some home security companies. so far, i'm looking at ADT and Vivint. my friends and family seem to like their services. What are your guys' thoughts? My home is already pre-wired for an alarm system.

thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    12 audi a5

I went with United as they gave me the lowest monthly rate of 19.99.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

I'm rocking Vivint and so far it's pretty good, had them install their tstat, panel, doorbell camera, door sensors, motion sensors, and electronic door lock. Their services cost us $70 a month including tax but I can operate the systems from their app on my phone.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I have Vivint as well. But just the basic security package.

If I lived in Calgary though, I'd probably get United. Cheap rate and good service it seems from all the reviews.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Originally posted by StreetRacerX
    I'm rocking Vivint and so far it's pretty good, had them install their tstat, panel, doorbell camera, door sensors, motion sensors, and electronic door lock. Their services cost us $70 a month including tax but I can operate the systems from their app on my phone.
    $70.00/month? A little excessive IMO.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I thought $20 was too much, and now I pay $0. Have been happy with the service so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Originally posted by roopi

$70.00/month? A little excessive IMO.
    Was in a house in Chaparral replacing a humidifier yesterday and the home owner uses ADT, they pay $65 a month for door sensors, motion sensors, the tstat, a couple mobile cameras, also able to do a couple things from their app. The thing that shocked me is they paid $2000 for each of those cameras which look like higher quality baby monitors that have WiFi,

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I'm with vivint as well on that same plan and I'm happy with it.
    I will agree that $70/month is steep but most of my gear was free so I can live with that

My Ride
    my bike

Has anybody tried Rogers since they entered the AB market? Prices seem to be competitive, but it can get pricy adding all the additional options.

for you guys with vivint, how much did it cost for installation and equipment?

my friend who just got vivint as their provider has the same plan as most of you: $70/mo. are their call centers in calgary?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

We got the door to door guy, equipment and install was free, he says he gives a deal to two houses a day (took it with a grain of salt as it could be bull shit high pressure sales technique ) apparently if I refer people to him they get the same deal and I get a free month hahaha, dunno though.

My Ride
    Trucks

Pretty much the same sales tactic for Liberty Security out here in Cochrane. I bought home and auto insurance from the same guys, after I did my homework extensively, and saved about $140/month on premiums and pay $70 for monitoring and automation. Certified monitored security will cut home insurance premiums from any insurance company.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    for you guys with vivint, how much did it cost for installation and equipment?

my friend who just got vivint as their provider has the same plan as most of you: $70/mo. are their call centers in calgary?

They are doing installation free now I believe. Their head office is in Utah so not sure if call centers are there as well BUT the good news is their call center agents speak English and aren't from India!

I like them due to their customer service, on phone for maybe a minute hold and whatever problems I have, fixed always after the call. As well, I've had a few lawn signs get damaged from wind, etc and give them a call and they send new ones free. I believe United will charge you for new signs.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

United has their call centre here in Calgary. If that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

^I have been using United for over 2.5 years now with their WiFi system with app control (no landline) for about $38 per month. No complaints whatsoever and their call centre is Calgary during the weekend and sometimes BC during the weekends.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    United has their call centre here in Calgary. If that matters.
    No they don't. Nearly all alarm companies use the same top 5 monitoring stations in the country. United included! Every time these stations call you they will answer the phone and talk with you as if they work for the dealer who sold and installed your system.

The name of the game in the business is accounts. Everyone has their own approach and some will require you pay upfront costs for equipment but lower monthly rate. Others provide you no costs upfront but get you for $900/year on a three year term. At the end of the day they installed around $1000 of equipment for the full setup and sitting on the remaining $1700.

So if you're a guy paying $360/year for monitoring but shelled out $1200 for parts (they need markup) you come out ahead.

Just remember that the cost of a monitoring fee to a typical alarm dealer is $3-6 per account. And as companies go broke and merge and change names etc.. They sell your accounts off to other companies. You may be united now. Untill they run into a financial strap and sell them to Relliance for pennies on the dollar.
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

_=bump

shopping around for an alarm system , pricing seems about the same across the board average $45-$50 per month for gsm no land line, no cameras. 2 doors, 5 windows, 2 motions, 2 fobs.

ADT, United, Vivant, EIT, supreme, all include equipment, some want activation fee but give discounted first couple months. add $10/mth for cameras but need wifi.

did you folks negotiate for lower monthly?
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I found it was tought to negotiate for lower monthly.
    Had an easier time negotiating the equipment costs and lowering the contract term

i just called united for a quote:

They have an anniversary special right now for $29.99/month, but you need to have a landline. This package uses an older control unit (non touchscreen).
    http://www.unitedalarm.ca/special-promotions/#

If you don't have a landline, then there's a gold package for $34.95 a month that includes the touchscreen.

Both of these plans were on a 38 month contract. Has anyone had success at negotiating a shorter contract term? If so, any tips on how to negotiate this?

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

We just signed up with Vivint about two months ago. Salesman came to our door and we usually don't entertain them but we were looking for one and he happened to come off very professional and friendly.

He said it was a "promotion" and they only have X number left to sell but this is what we ended up getting:

$60/month + $99 Activation for 5 Years
    Free Installation and Free Equipment (no landline needed)
    1 Camera
    1 Doorbell Camera/Mic
    Two-way Touchscreen Panel (Skycontrol Panel)
    1 Motion Sensor
    3 Door Sensors
    4 Window Stick/Sensors

So far it's been working well and the sales rep checked in with us twice to make sure everything is working as it should. The best part is that all of the equipment was free. The 5 year contract didn't bother us since we just moved in a year ago so by the time that's up, we may potentially move.

I particularly like the doorbell camera/mic because it notifies us on our phones when someone rings it and we can talk to them if we're away through our phones as well. You can set up custom notifications too (ie., doorbell camera senses someone = notification).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast