Quantcast
Anyone getting AMD Ryzen? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone getting AMD Ryzen?

Originally posted by schocker

Yeah, I bet pricing will come down from intel like nvidia does when new amd video cards come out, but it definitely won't close that huge gap. What would have been better is if they had timed vega to come out sooner so that they have a gpu to suit their high end cpus.
    It's true - anyone preordering Ryzen probably has an Nvidia GPU spec'd haha.

Some interesting discussion at the end of this thread (pages 28-30 or so) from people who seem to have very good technical knowledge. Makes me more excited about Ryzen, especially if it has positive scaling after an OC (i.e. not linear, but better than linear):

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...499879/page-30

And some overclocking info:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-overclocked-4ghz/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-24-2017 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Upgrading an older i5 2500K (with a 970) - was looking at an i5 7600K. Anyone think there will be any price pressure at this level from Ryzen or just in the higher i7 space? My 2500K still isn't even a bottleneck for me but the wife's machine is getting flakey so she'll get my old one.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

Originally posted by Khyron
    Upgrading an older i5 2500K (with a 970) - was looking at an i5 7600K. Anyone think there will be any price pressure at this level from Ryzen or just in the higher i7 space? My 2500K still isn't even a bottleneck for me but the wife's machine is getting flakey so she'll get my old one.
    In the USA, Intel has started lowering prices already but especially on the Xtreme line, nothing material. I haven't seen anything drop in Canada yet aside from the perpetual $10-30 off "sales". The Ryzen i5 *price* competition isn't coming out until later, however an i5 7600K right now is $330 at memex and an 8-core Ryzen 1700 is only $440. The 6-core/12t Ryzen 1600X is going to be ~$350 like that i5 CPU, but it won't be out until a bit later this year. Ryzen's direct i5 competition (4c/4t) is only going to be ~$200.

If I were you I'd just grab one of the beastly 8c/16t chips for only ~$100 more than that i5. It also depends what the usage is, and whether or not it benefits from cores more than clock speed.

I am assuming you have a GPU since those CPU's don't have onboard video.

Some more promising news (if true):

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700...pu-benchmarks/

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800...arks-passmark/

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700...ng-benchamrks/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-27-2017 at 05:24 PM.

My Ride

Hrm, I'm mostly gaming, so single threads still seem to rule. But if I got similar single performance AND 8 cores, I'd pay 100~ more for the flexibility. But I'm guessing the i5 7600K at 4.7-4.8 Ghz is going to be pretty tough to beat. But if the 1700 is within 5% I'd probably go for it.

Edit: I'm keeping the 970 - wife can recycle her old 260.

But no rush, so I'll wait for the indepth gaming benchmarks I suppose. That i7 vs 1700 gaming link you posted above looks promising though.

Well the press embargo is lifted on March 2, so you don't have long to wait until the internet is flooded with benchmarks on retail hardware and overclocking potential is revealed.

Press embargo is lifted. The entry Level Ryzen 1700 (not X) at 3.9 GHz going toe-to-toe with an overclocked i7 7700K @ 5.0 Ghz:

This is from highly respected reviewer "Joker".

Other reviews suggest there is a bug with Windows supporting SMT, and some benchmarks are inconsistent, so there are probably a few things that need to be ironed out still given how new it is, and the variations with review setups (Ram, mobo, bios versions, windows high performance mode setting, etc.). Certain benchmarks favor certain CPUs as well - lots of variables to consider with all of this. I think "part 2" reviews in a couple weeks will be more concrete.

This one is also interesting, look at CPU/GPU usage:

Lightroom export performance sandwiched between Intel's $1500 and $2300 offerings:

Cinebench Multithread:

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-02-2017 at 11:08 AM.

My Ride

Well damn son I think I might just have to jump. I had my Z270 board all picked out but time to adjust. Really happy they seem to have a winner this time around.

Originally posted by Khyron
    Well damn son I think I might just have to jump. I had my Z270 board all picked out but time to adjust. Really happy they seem to have a winner this time around.
    So far so good. I think after the initial bugs are worked out with compatibility, etc. it will be quite excellent. Also keep in mind developers have been writing games for Intel for pretty much the last decade due to their monopoly, so it will take a bit of time for various titles to get fully optimized for AMD again too. I'm just happy to see the market get shaken up.

Lisa Su is doing an AMA right now on Reddit too.

Right now you're seeing things like this, which are just too early to explain (~50% variance on same benchmarks):

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

The stats for price looks good, but I am very happy with my Z170.

My Ride
    Grimace

Checking out the reviews with regards to games, and even overclocked it is getting outgunned by the 7700k and sometimes even the 6700k (Mine so I am happy)

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews...chmarks/page-7

Also AMD was trying to pull tricks themselves:
    1440p Benchmarks (Introducing a GPU Bottleneck)

When we approached AMD with these results pre-publication, the company defended its product by suggesting that intentionally creating a GPU bottleneck (read: no longer benchmarking the CPU’s performance) would serve as a great equalizer. AMD asked that we consider 4K benchmarks to more heavily load the GPU, thus reducing workload on the CPU and leveling the playing field. While we fundamentally disagree with this approach to testing, we decided to entertain a mid-step: 1440p, just out of respect for additional numbers driven by potentially realistic use cases. Of course, in some regard, benchmarking CPUs at 4K would be analogous to benchmarking GPUs at 720p: The conclusion would be that every GPU is “the same,” since they’d all choke on the CPU. Same idea here, just the inverse.
    Still good chips but not the huge improvement in games people were expecting. Very good performance on a production environment though.

Originally posted by schocker
    Checking out the reviews with regards to games, and even overclocked it is getting outgunned by the 7700k and sometimes even the 6700k (Mine so I am happy)

Also AMD was trying to pull tricks themselves:

Still good chips but not the huge improvement in games people were expecting. Very good performance on a production environment though.
    It very much depends. Multi threaded games it blows the 7700K out of the water, not so multi-threaded games it's about equal. CPUz single core performance is within 2% of Kaby 7700k and that's with the Ryzen clocked lower. Also keep in mind these are more workstation CPUs, so if they give you the best of both worlds that is awesome. Game developers have said all their code is optimized for Intel so there are huge gains to be had on the AMD side with an update.

Another very interesting thing, the Ryzen CPUs seem to have a learning property. Running Cinebench 6 times showed improvements every run, where Intel benches remained flat over 6 runs.

Also if games are GPU bottlenecked and the FPS is already ridiculous (see above graph vs overclocked 7700K), generally speaking it's going to be better to have 8 cores instead of 4 because of all the other stuff you can do, and with more and more games coming out with SMT support.

With the high variability in benchmarks though I think it's difficult to come to any conclusions at the moment. All we know is that they have put out something impressive and it will definitely disrupt the market - how much is yet to be seen. Need to wait until the initial kinks are ironed out with BIOS versions, etc. Ryzen also loves super high MHz RAM.

The real win is that Ryzen 1800X = $669 (or an Overclocked 1700 at $430), Intel i7 6900K = $1,500, and the Ryzen matches or beats it in virtually all tests. It you can also game with it and get the FPS you want, that's a pretty big win for Workstation users. Wherever the final numbers land I don't know, but I think what they've done in a single generation is pretty amazing.

Here's 1080P on a GTX 1080 so we know the GPU isn't the bottleneck:

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-02-2017 at 02:43 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Check out the graphs on these page though, much different story:
    https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proces...ng-Performance
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...00x_1700/9.htm

This makes it look like the 7700k, at least for pure gaming, is an awesome deal now.

I can't open some of those unfortunately.

Apparently Asus was sending out BIOS updates at the 11th hour, some people didn't have Windows in high performance mode, etc. so who knows where everything will be when the dust settles. Some people aren't seeing 162 on Cinebench ST, which means they are doing something wrong. It's all over the place. Most websites have already stated they are working on a second iteration of their review. Remember there is an enormous amount of optimization to follow given that everything has been written for Intel for the last decade.

If some people can get super high benchmarks though, we at least know that's what it's capable of. Lower scores suggest there are some other issues or variables. It's kind of like a lap time - if someone can get a certain time, then that's what it can do. If either CPU can get you high FPS at your desired gaming resolution with your chosen graphics card, but one is also a workstation beast, that's awesome IMO.

Basically the win is if you can get 7700K gaming performance (or better with SMT titles) and i7 6900K (or better) workstation performance, all in one CPU for ~$430, that's pretty great. Customers win either way.

I suspect it will be the same old story - depending on what you're doing, one will be slightly better than the other, but overall they are very similar. In this case though there is a $1000 price difference to consider as well, which would make it an easy decision even if it was slightly worse everywhere which it's not.

I keep telling myself I don't need to build a new computer because I don't play a lot of graphics intensive games. Then someone throws up a benchmark for Lightroom. Damn.

What benchmark should I be looking at for video rendering or encoding? (say video rendering from photoshop, or vegas movie studio)

my current rig - i7-950 paired with 980Ti (weird, i know. started life with a GTX470, then GTX670)

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
    I keep telling myself I don't need to build a new computer because I don't play a lot of graphics intensive games. Then someone throws up a benchmark for Lightroom. Damn.

What benchmark should I be looking at for video rendering or encoding? (say video rendering from photoshop, or vegas movie studio)

my current rig - i7-950 paired with 980Ti (weird, i know. started life with a GTX470, then GTX670)
    Keep in mind nothing is optimized yet and the Asus boards send out in the press kits had known bugs with SMT:

Rendering benchmarks for you:

Encoding Benchmarks:

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Too early... never going to get the first generation of a new architecture, ever. But for my uses Ryzen looks like a really good fit - Cubase can use a lot of cores and I'm tired of the compatability/reliability issues that come with a split duty audio/gaming computer, so I'm going to give Ryzen a good look when time for my next build comes

Originally posted by b_t
    Too early... never going to get the first generation of a new architecture, ever. But for my uses Ryzen looks like a really good fit - Cubase can use a lot of cores and I'm tired of the compatability/reliability issues that come with a split duty audio/gaming computer, so I'm going to give Ryzen a good look when time for my next build comes
    Almost every site is re-doing their benchmarks. Turns out many weren't even using a fresh windows build, had performance mode off, or didn't update to the BIOS Asus sent out at the 11th hour. The Asus board had known bugs, and it got sent out in the press kits which was a bit of a blunder. It was all a bit rushed. Microsoft should have a patch out in a month or so to fix the SMT issues, AMD has sent them drivers already. Basically though it's toe-to-toe with a 7700K for gaming, and equal or better to a 6900K for workstation, for 1/3 the price of a 6900K. For people like me who game on their workstation that is a huge win. You will also be able to use the same socket for the next 2 iterations, including apparently their first 7nm CPU, so hopefully that's true.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I have nothing to add except I am enjoying reading this thread for the info...

and Mitsu totally fails at Beyond meme's. Can a mod change the title to "Anyone going to be rocking AMD Ryzen?"

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Almost every site is re-doing their benchmarks. Turns out many weren't even using a fresh windows build, had performance mode off, or didn't update to the BIOS Asus sent out at the 11th hour. The Asus board had known bugs, and it got sent out in the press kits which was a bit of a blunder. It was all a bit rushed. Microsoft should have a patch out in a month or so to fix the SMT issues, AMD has sent them drivers already. Basically though it's toe-to-toe with a 7700K for gaming, and equal or better to a 6900K for workstation, for 1/3 the price of a 6900K. For people like me who game on their workstation that is a huge win. You will also be able to use the same socket for the next 2 iterations, including apparently their first 7nm CPU, so hopefully that's true.
    There's always quirks on the software side to consider too, or with motherboard implementations of various things... I still have a lot of reading to do, but I'm not sure if there are any Thunderbolt bolts for Ryzen yet, for example.

I'm still months away from a new build anyway. I'll let other people experiment first and if it looks like stability is good, I'll make the jump. Then I'll move my gaming computer downstairs where the big screen and theater is so I can use my good setup more

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast