Quantcast
New garage construction - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New garage construction

My Ride
    Treg/B7

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
    Built my own garage, had pad poured by a concrete company.

24x24, 10 ft walls, 2x4 walls (I should have just went with 2x6, to late now), insulated, OSB sheeted and painted white walls (So they don't fall apart whenever I smash things into the wall) electric (220V 60AMP), retarded amount of electrical plugs and lighting, gas heater, epoxied floors, Just under $20,000.

The only thing I didn't do myself was concrete, electrical and gas line. Dug the trenches myself though.
    What did you do for epoxy floors? How is it holding up? Cost?

Originally posted by Prelude_dude

At this point right now i am probably going to do insulation and VB.... is it bad to cut it down half way? I just want to get rid of the pointy end if anything.
    Why bother? They're going to be covered by 4" of insulation. You've probably got a few thousand of them. They're roofing nails...it's not like you're going to be able to just clip them like a fingernail.
    No one does that.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Small bump

I am entertaining the idea of either building my garage myself or GC'ing it. Got one quote for a full build (24x24 approx but not square) with a full stucco finish (expensive - $6000) for around $32,000. This includes everything (permits, concrete, framing, finish, electric sub panel, GST) but does NOT include insulation and drywall finish. I think the quote is pretty on par with what I expected but I know I can save a considerable amount by doing majority myself.

My one concern about GC'ing the build is that I do not have a square lot so my garage will not be square in order to utilize the space. I have no idea how to measure the out the concrete pad in order to ensure I don't end up to close to the property lines or break any by-laws.

Is my best bet to try and hire a garage builder to get my pad done, and I will take it from there? Would concrete companies have any expertise in this area or will they just crib and pour what I ask.

Any help is appreciated.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I would just have the property lines surveyed, have utilities located, calculate your total square footage based on your RPR and lay it out yourself.

The city is actually pretty helpful when it comes to codes and building requirements, they are very willing to answer questions.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2