Quantcast
A790's Training Log - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A790's Training Log

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default A790's Six Month Rehabilitation

So, as you guys and gals all probably know at this point, back in January I injured my back. At the time I estimated that it would take six weeks to get me back on course. Well, it's now July and my back problems are worse than they were in January.

For three months after the initial injury (caused by poor deadlift form and too much weight, I believe) I had minor-moderate back pain. Starting late May it transformed into almost entirely leg pain. It's been nothing short of debilitating: my right leg has a severely restricted range of motion, and bending over has become absolutely brutal.

I haven't been to a gym since early May. I've gained weight, fat, and I know I've lost a lot of strength. It's frustrating the hell right out of me. But, I'm tired of being depressed about it.

I have an MRI booked for July 28th, and until I get the results back I won't be doing any chrio, active release, physical therapy, etc. as I've already found little success using any of those for relief. Acupuncture actually made it worse for a few days.

My attitude is this: I injured myself exercising, and I'm going to fix myself with exercise too. Here's my plan:

+ Walk/Run at least 10km per week. My usual loop around my house is 4.7km long, with a shorter 2.79km version for those days that I'm feeling lazy or am hurting pretty bad.

+ Basic core conditioning exercises. Things like push ups, sit ups (very painful), squats, planks, pelvic tilts, stretching, etc.

+ Gradual introduction of weight training. Going to perform basic exercises with nominal weight as my strength rebuilds.

Oh, and I'm not taking any medication for it at this point. I've spent the last six weeks on a muscle relaxant/anti-inflammatory cocktail. Unless the pain becomes so great that I just can't bear it, I'm done with it. When I run (well, hobble thanks to my limp) I feel fantastic both during the time I'm running as well as for a few hours after.

I know this thing can be fixed. Maybe I'll never weight train in the same way again, but regardless, I know I can at least get out of bed in the morning without excruciating pain.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Hope it works out for you man!

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by kaput
    How has your diet been these last few months? Shouldn't good clean eating have helped to mitigate or even prevent the fat loss even without good training, or does genetics trump that card?
    When you're in pain, and depressed, you eat. I've been eating a lot of shit. Changed my diet last week, lost a pound. I think they're related

Went for a 4.79km walk today. Did it in 41 minutes, 26 seconds. Averaging 8.49 minutes per kilometer- not bad seeing as how I'm limping along like a weetard.

I'm in a similar situation as you, 790, but not as bad....SO FAR.
    I've been following your progress as I started about the same time as you, as well as a similar size/strength routine.
    I'm going heavy with weights as well as cardio (about 10k a week).
    Last few times on bi's/back I started noticing pain when doing standing curl. within a day or two it was almost crippling. So i stopped my curls when standing and just did them seated. No more pain when lifting but I have a bad pain in my back that hurts ALL the time. The odd time I bend or move a certain way and I almost yelp from pain.

so now, I'm not sure who to go for diagnosis. Doc...chiropractor...physio.

Then on top of that, last week I pulled my groin fairly bad playing hockey. So I'm off the treadmill and onto a cross trainer.
    Stopped all dead lifts but keeping up with heavy lifting on everything else.

How successful do you find the physiotherapist?

Good luck on your recovery...I'll be following it closely.

My Ride

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    I'm in a similar situation as you, 790, but not as bad....SO FAR.
    I've been following your progress as I started about the same time as you, as well as a similar size/strength routine.
    I'm going heavy with weights as well as cardio (about 10k a week).
    Last few times on bi's/back I started noticing pain when doing standing curl. within a day or two it was almost crippling. So i stopped my curls when standing and just did them seated. No more pain when lifting but I have a bad pain in my back that hurts ALL the time. The odd time I bend or move a certain way and I almost yelp from pain.

so now, I'm not sure who to go for diagnosis. Doc...chiropractor...physio.

Then on top of that, last week I pulled my groin fairly bad playing hockey. So I'm off the treadmill and onto a cross trainer.
    Stopped all dead lifts but keeping up with heavy lifting on everything else.

How successful do you find the physiotherapist?

Good luck on your recovery...I'll be following it closely.
    Go to a Doc and start the process. They'll likely get an x-ray first, and may progress further into a CT scan/MRI if warranted. I noticed little/no change with physiotherapy after about 9 sessions.

Where do you feel the pain?

Can you do yoga with the injuries? Even if you didnt go all out on the moves, I think it will help. I have tried yoga at work, and it reduced alot of my neck and back pains I get.

My Ride
    NC1

Get well and stay strong!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Went for another walk with the girlfriend. 4.79 km in 48 minutes. Did some stretching throughout the walk.

Had a bit of a limp for the first 10 minutes. By the end I was walking/jogging normally. Suggests that there's hope...

Going to try Yoga once I see the results from the MRI.

My Ride
    TypeR

gotta go to yoga. i messed up my back bad last year deadlifting when i ran outta juice through half a rep (255). Fucked up my lumbar joint so bad i could even take my shoes off i was in the same boat as you feeling depressed and shit. Just learn from your mistakes and dont deadlift for a long time. You got to strengthen your core like crazy and always go for walks/jogs to loosen up your back. I just started deadlifting again 3 months ago and now im around 150ish but i feel my legs and core are able to handle it alot easier. I have a 600+ leg press and a 225 squat with a bar. Im telling you just remember that laying around and not doing shit is gonna make it way worse.

My Ride

Core training today. Three sets of unweighted squats (20 reps), 1 set of lunges (10 reps per leg), 2 sets of pushups (35 reps), inverted superman (three reps of 60 seconds), crunches, twists, etc.

Lots of stretching.

It hurt, but not as much as last time.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

You'll get back to form soon with hard work and persistence. It's frustrating, as I am also fighting injury and health issues.
    Good to read threads like this and get encouragements and sometimes pushes from others.

My Ride
    95 240SX

Originally posted by A790
    Core training today. Three sets of unweighted squats (20 reps), 1 set of lunges (10 reps per leg), 2 sets of pushups (35 reps), inverted superman (three reps of 60 seconds), crunches, twists, etc.

Lots of stretching.

It hurt, but not as much as last time.
    you nailed it on the head with stretching. I injured my knee very badly in febuary (3.25" coil nail via 120psi thru the patella into the femur). The exercises I do have strengthened my leg, but the stretching is what keeps the pain and discomfort down. I do an hour of stretching daily now and will be disappointed in myself when I stop because I'm back at work.

Since it's your back, may I suggest Yoga. It will go a long way in healing your body.

Btw, accupuncture doesn't start taking effect really until after a few sessions. The worsening you felt was normal. I get accu done once a week now, but I was getting it 3x week for a month or so. It really helps relax the tension in my leg. So maybe keep trying, or PM me if you want a good place to go.

My Ride
    95 240SX

Not to Jack your thread, but since I mentioned it, I thought I'd share my injury.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Originally posted by RecoilS14
    Not to Jack your thread, but since I mentioned it, I thought I'd share my injury.
    OMFG

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by interlude
    Can you do yoga with the injuries? Even if you didnt go all out on the moves, I think it will help. I have tried yoga at work, and it reduced alot of my neck and back pains I get.
    After I dislocated my shoulder and had surgery on it, I had chronic upper back pain for years. I tried physiotherapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, prolotherapy injections, chiropractor, etc. etc. The ONLY thing that worked, and continues to work is yoga.

My Ride

Casual walk last night with friend. 4.24km in 50 minutes. Felt decent. Didn't stretch during walk at all.

Hurt like hell when I woke up this morning.

My Ride
    2003 MB E320

There's a stretch DVD that comes w P90X. Got it on avi if you don't wanna buy the whole set.

My Ride

Quick update:

Walked 3.6km yesterday.

Walked 3.6km today. Did core training/stretching today. Severely restricted movement in my right leg/pain. Ugh.

My Ride

Quick update:

Jogged 4.9km yesterday. Walked 2.7km the day before.

Still hurt like hell. BUT, I get my MRI on Monday! They called me yesterday and let me know they had pushed it up

EDIT: Walked 3km and jogged 1.7km today.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast