Thread: Review: Guacho VS Bolero

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Review: Guacho VS Bolero

Gaucho
    5920 Macleod tr sw

Bolero
    6920Macleod tr s

Both of these Restaurants offer an all you can eat meat deal, both Brazilian in nature. I decided to write this review based on a few select categories, and what stood out between the two.

Service: Edge to Gaucho
    Service at both was very good. Staff at both were polite and friendly, offering timely advice. Things that gave Goucho the win: At Bolero, the meats took their sweet time in coming more often than not, and at times, our waitress ended up helping the serving staff serve the meat, thus taking her away from her tables. The cuts from the servers varied wildly between Baygirl's and my plates. Some were nice trim pieces on my plate, while it looked like they used a salad tong to rip off another for Baygirl and vica versa. When the servers were also not trying to look down Baygirls shirt, they seemed very abrupt, and rushed. Gaucho was more relaxed, the servers were very consistent with their cuts, the different meats came out at a steady pace, our waitress did plenty of table touches without being over bearing.

Decor: Edge to Bolero
    Bolero was wide and spacious, nice tones throughout and a nice ambiance. I felt like it was lacking in lighting thought. It felt really dark, but to each their own, Baygirl really liked it. At Goucho, the tables were a little tight together, it felt like if we moved at all, we would be disturbing the people sitting around us.

Food: Edge to Goucho
    While both places served very similar dishes, we just found that the food tasted better, was presented better, and seemed better quality at Goucho. While it was nice to see nice smoke rings on the food at Bolero, Goucho seasoned their meats to perfection, with tastes that were vivid in your mouth, whereas at Bolero, it was more bland and in many cases charred too much. The salad bars were both pretty much the same, Goucho has an amazing chicken (I think) stroganoff in a red sauce that is simply awesome! Bolero must be catering to some vegans as well as the grilled veggies and pineapple and buns came around quite a bit.

Goucho
    Service:4/5
    Ambiance: 3/5
    Food:4.5/5
    Total:11.5points

Bolero
    Service: 3/5
    Ambiance: 4/5
    Food: 3.5/5
    Total: 10.5

difference in price between the 2 is that at Bolero, the meal is $3 more per person for dinner.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

That grilled pineapple at bolero

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Good review.

We only have one choice when it comes to Brazillian Steakhouse in Edmonton called Pampa's. Never been there myself yet but even some people recommend driving all the way to Calgary and trying out Bolero/Gaucho instead. I believe Pampa's is a set menu at $45/person. They were also featured on a Food Network TV show.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Originally posted by EK69
    That grilled pineapple at bolero
    +1

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For what it's worth, the only brazillian guy I know claims Gaucho is more authentic.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I've never been to bolero, but I've been to gaucho a few times. Not my thing. Salt overload, and all of the meats taste the same (and its not that great, either). I end up getting tiring of the meat pretty quick, and it seems really expensive for what I actually end up eating.

My Ride
    2003 ML55 AMG

The pineapple at Bolero alone makes it better then Gaucho IMO
    Otherwise relatively similar food wise.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Been to Guacho a few times now. Good service and tasty food. It's basically a buffet except you sit at the table and wait for the skewers of different meat (chicken breasts/chicken heart/all kinds of beef) to be brought to the table.

Great if your really hungry as it is $45 per person. But that's what you gotta pay for the uniqueness of it in Calgary.

Gaucho all the way. The last few times I've been to Bolero the meat has been quite bland. You can request for the grilled pineapple at Gaucho (:

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Gaucho is terrible. FixedGear is on the money. Oversalted, everything tastes the same, buffet bar sucks. Bolero is so much better.

My Ride
    2003 ML55 AMG

Originally posted by YuZai
    Gaucho all the way. The last few times I've been to Bolero the meat has been quite bland. You can request for the grilled pineapple at Gaucho (:
    We went with a group of 6 and requested pineapple but they said they do not have any. Our waiter was horrible that day as well so who knows.....nonetheless they are both worth trying out at some point.

My Ride
    G6

Going to a Brazillian restaurant and expecting the meat to NOT be oversalted is like going to a sushi place expecting no soy sauce. Just about all the meat I had in Brazil was oversalted.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Feruk
    Going to a Brazillian restaurant and expecting the meat to NOT be oversalted is like going to a sushi place expecting no soy sauce. Just about all the meat I had in Brazil was oversalted.
    Hahaha bad analogy.. You can easily have sushi with no soy sauce. More like.. Going to Chinese restaurant and expecting no MSG and grease.

Personally I like Bolero due to their selection. They have more/varied meats/cuts and occasionally they have fish (like swordfish). That's a win in my books. The other thing I didn't like about Gaucho was how small and cramped it is in there.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    TRD Pro

In my opinion Id much rather go to a place like Caesers/wherever steakhouse and be guaranteed one really good steak instead of a barrage of miscellaneous meats, some which I like, some which I dont that are rarely cooked exactly how I want them. If I pay $40+ for a meal it better be good. (Neither had a salad bar that was really worth the money and only filler.. so its basically a $40 main course)

My Ride
    W204

^^^ agreed but it's fun and different. I personally love their meat, and you can always ask for a rarer piece. Also, when they come out, they're usually fresh and pipping hot, whereas a steak is only piping hot the first minute and then gets cold pretty quick.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Bump
    Went to gauchos for Sunday Lunch 23 bucks a head cannot complain.
    It was full of people and i did not feel cramped at all.
    The service was amazing. Only thing i didn't like was the chicken heart and the beets.
    Foodie groupies give it a try for Sunday lunch.I'll be in again.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

A new place down by Eau Claire opened up earlier this year, which adds another option. I haven't tried it myself yet but I stopped in to have a look at their menu since I live near by. They even have brunch specials on the weekend.

http://minassteakhouse.com/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/19366...khouse-Calgary

Pampa's is quite a bit better than bolero/gaucho, but the price is getting up there. For the price of pampa's I'd rather go somewhere else

Any newbies going, don't get sucked in by the salad bar.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Any newbies going, don't get sucked in by the salad bar.
    But hearts of palm and kale salad

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    A new place down by Eau Claire opened up earlier this year, which adds another option. I haven't tried it myself yet but I stopped in to have a look at their menu since I live near by. They even have brunch specials on the weekend.

http://minassteakhouse.com/
    Beyond lunch meet to try it out?

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast