Quantcast
Don't complain about power - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Don't complain about power

My Ride
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350

Default Don't complain about power

Hi everyone!
    Currently I am on vacation in South Africa, and I thought I'd give people an idea of the vehicles here. First off, in North America, our cars like the Civic are nice and bi compared to these. Also, they have a lot more power.

Hyundai Getz 1.1 - Not even worth mentioning.
    Toyota Corolla 140i - with a massive 65 hp, it couldn't get out of its own way. 100 KM/H in 5th yielded 4000 RPM, and I was climbing hills in 3rd. A lot of stalling.
    VW Polo 1.6 Sport - A bit better than the Corolla, but the brakes were sh*t
    My grannies '97 Nissan Sentra 160 GS - a tin can, with a carb that likes to flood
    Dad's '04 Benz C180 Kompressor - One of the better cars I've driven
    Aunts '87 Benz 230E - Catch a snooze while accelerating
    VW Golf Mk5 2.0 - Eh, it was ok
    VW Citi Golf 1.4i - A brand new Mk1 Golf, it felt unsafe
    Opel Corsa Bakkie 1.3i (its a pickup) - Go weedeater power!

I'm sure I'll have the pleasure of driving more of these fine beasts over the next 2 weeks. However food for thought: My Chevy Colorado is a freakin sport car compared to these. Also being 6'4 in one of these cars is not a good idea. It is hilarious though to see a Geo Metro 1L towing a trailer. Also, these cars tend to go at least 180 KM/H, posted limit is 120 to 130. I found out as well that 1) Fuel injection is a option, 2) Airbags are almost non-existent, as they are quite expensive, 3) You CAN buy leaded fuel here still. It is great though to see a 2nd gen Civic with no rust.

So that is a look into the world of vehicles in South Africa. To sum it up, they are expensive, gutless, and small.
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2009 Smart ForTwo "Passion"

My Ride
    03' Vitara\VW GTI

Personally I love the "look" of the CITI golf and heard it's been reasonably redone ask an MK1

I believe there is a high output version like the old GTI available

My Ride
    EK Civic Si

Default Re: Don't complain about power

Originally posted by Ashers
    Hi everyone!
    Currently I am on vacation in South Africa, and I thought I'd give people an idea of the vehicles here. First off, in North America, our cars like the Civic are nice and bi compared to these. Also, they have a lot more power.

Hyundai Getz 1.1 - Not even worth mentioning.
    Toyota Corolla 140i - with a massive 65 hp, it couldn't get out of its own way. 100 KM/H in 5th yielded 4000 RPM, and I was climbing hills in 3rd. A lot of stalling.
    VW Polo 1.6 Sport - A bit better than the Corolla, but the brakes were sh*t
    My grannies '97 Nissan Sentra 160 GS - a tin can, with a carb that likes to flood
    Dad's '04 Benz C180 Kompressor - One of the better cars I've driven
    Aunts '87 Benz 230E - Catch a snooze while accelerating
    VW Golf Mk5 2.0 - Eh, it was ok
    VW Citi Golf 1.4i - A brand new Mk1 Golf, it felt unsafe
    Opel Corsa Bakkie 1.3i (its a pickup) - Go weedeater power!

I'm sure I'll have the pleasure of driving more of these fine beasts over the next 2 weeks. However food for thought: My Chevy Colorado is a freakin sport car compared to these. Also being 6'4 in one of these cars is not a good idea. It is hilarious though to see a Geo Metro 1L towing a trailer. Also, these cars tend to go at least 180 KM/H, posted limit is 120 to 130. I found out as well that 1) Fuel injection is a option, 2) Airbags are almost non-existent, as they are quite expensive, 3) You CAN buy leaded fuel here still. It is great though to see a 2nd gen Civic with no rust.

So that is a look into the world of vehicles in South Africa. To sum it up, they are expensive, gutless, and small.
    I am in Lebanon right now, we have 98 Octane gas. The cars here have more power than the ones I drove in canada. w124 Mercedes 200/230E, w210? E230/E240, BMW 318s,little Hondas have no trouble going up hills

My Ride
    a wrx.

I drove a petrol 1.4L Polo on a roadtrip and I have to say I was extremely impressed with it. Even though it was a subcompact rolling on 13" wheels and skinny tires, it handled very well through twisty mountain roads. It was predictable, the steering was communicative, and the car was responsive to being tossed around. It was also rock solid at highway speeds of 160 km/h, which is impressive for a car that tops out at 175ish.

The chassis tuning on these little VWs is light years ahead of their Japanese counterparts. This car easily outperforms the Fit, except for in a straight line and it definitely is more fun. I should also mention that thanks to good gearing, the 1.4L is surprisingly peppy too. The Yaris is so terrible it's not even worth mentioning...that pile feels like it'll tip over at anything over 100km/h, plus it feels like a minivan. I guess it makes sense though, the Polo was built in a country with the no speed limit autobahn and the Yaris was built in a country where the dash chimes at you when you exceed 100km/h. It's easy to guess who will make a more performance oriented car.

If VW ever brought the Polo over, especially the Polo GTI, I'd be all over it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Don't complain about power

Originally posted by Wehbeast

I am in Lebanon right now, we have 98 Octane gas.

98 (RON) octane = 93 (R+M)/2 octane
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    oooo

no country in the world has "average" cars with the horsepower we have here.

Our fuel is still dirt cheap compaired to most other countires. I filled up a diesel Skoda in Prague recently and it was $100.00. CDN. (which is a lot of $$$ for people over there)

the thought of a V8 over 5 liters is mind boggling there.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Default Re: Don't complain about power

Originally posted by Ashers
    W Golf Mk5 2.0 - Eh, it was ok
    2.0 from the MK3's? or the 2.0T from current Audi/VW's ?
    I assume the ol' 2.sl0
    Interesting read...

My Ride
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350

yeah, it was a straight 2.slow. You can get them as a 2.0 FSI as well. Its quick, but noisy and lacks that "punch".
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2009 Smart ForTwo "Passion"