Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Crowchild Tr FYI

Author
Thread
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by rage2
Hilarious that costs went up over half billion dollars 4 years later, still don't have the money, but whatever!

Well that is only one library extra so no big deal
They can just install a permanent speed camera at the new abominable location to pay for the road.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2017 04:36 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

WTF just happened?

Trudeau is in power, we are legalizing pot and taxing the crap out of it. Let's get your wish list in now.

Old Post 05-09-2017 04:39 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kertejud2

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by schocker
I thought that is the cities shtick. Wait until it is years late and way more money with more complexity and then do it.

And when they do it the proactive way and build something like the airport tunnel when it would be the cheapest and least complex way of doing it people still bitch and complain because doing it that way means you're still spending a lot of money without seeing the benefits for a long time.

By the time a project has shifted from being early enough to be cost efficient and in demand enough to be politically worthwhile the scope of the project has likely shifted anyway so the process has to be started again and complexity goes up and more stakeholders become involved to drag the process on further etc.

There may be a cost benefit to doing things proactively but there is rarely a political benefit. You're just making things easier down the road for somebody else while you get all the heat.

Old Post 05-12-2017 06:08 PM
kertejud2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kertejud2 Click here to Send kertejud2 a Private Message Find more posts by kertejud2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by kertejud2
And when they do it the proactive way and build something like the airport tunnel when it would be the cheapest and least complex way of doing it people still bitch and complain because doing it that way means you're still spending a lot of money without seeing the benefits for a long time.

By the time a project has shifted from being early enough to be cost efficient and in demand enough to be politically worthwhile the scope of the project has likely shifted anyway so the process has to be started again and complexity goes up and more stakeholders become involved to drag the process on further etc.

There may be a cost benefit to doing things proactively but there is rarely a political benefit. You're just making things easier down the road for somebody else while you get all the heat.

This is why I set anyone straight who dares bring up the tunnel. 'But it goes to nowhere!!!'. They should have just given some firm numbers on what it would cost to build the tunnel under an active runway and with permission from the airport authority at a later date.

Old Post 05-12-2017 07:35 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Personally I don't know why they even bothered opening the airport tunnel. Its going to need to be completely redone for the train anyways. How many more millions will that be to venture a guess?

Every cent that went into finishing and maintaining it is money down the drain. But no council needed it open to show off and brag about their tunnel to nowhere.

Country hills is literally 60 seconds further up barlow in the meantime...

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 05-12-2017 07:40 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Y'all might be surprised how much traffic the tunnel is actually seeing - I've used the tunnel regularly for almost the past year and it is most definitely becoming busier and especially so now that 36th Street has seen improvements. I suspect it's being used to avoid McKnight and Country Hills at rush hour - Country Hills will be a non-issue once it's 4 lanes all the way through the NE but who knows how long that'll take.

Old Post 05-12-2017 07:50 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by schocker
This is why I set anyone straight who dares bring up the tunnel. 'But it goes to nowhere!!!'. They should have just given some firm numbers on what it would cost to build the tunnel under an active runway and with permission from the airport authority at a later date.

The tunnel is burning $1.5m a year right now, with costs continuing to go up over the years. The argument isn't that it's cheaper to build now than later (not sure how that math works with ongoing operating costs plus the cost of the interchanges/land purchases which was never included in the first place), but if it was even needed in the first place with Country Hills Blvd being 1.5km away. IIRC the argument was that Country Hills Blvd isn't meant to be a huge throughway, but it's being expanded as such today.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 05-12-2017 07:57 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kertejud2

What I drive:

quote:

The tunnel is burning $1.5m a year right now, with costs continuing to go up over the years. The argument isn't that it's cheaper to build now than later (not sure how that math works with ongoing operating costs plus the cost of the interchanges/land purchases which was never included in the first place), but if it was even needed in the first place with Country Hills Blvd being 1.5km away. IIRC the argument was that Country Hills Blvd isn't meant to be a huge throughway, but it's being expanded as such today.

Nothing says proactive planning like having only one E-W connector route between Stony Trail N and McKnight Blvd.

Old Post 05-12-2017 08:16 PM
kertejud2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kertejud2 Click here to Send kertejud2 a Private Message Find more posts by kertejud2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: C63S
Posts/Day: 1.12

quote:

Nothing says proactive planning like having only one E-W connector route between Stony Trail N and McKnight Blvd.

Nothing says good planning like having 3 of said connectors in a 4 km stretch of a nearly 10km span.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 05-12-2017 08:19 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Originally posted by killramos
Nothing says good planning like having 3 of said connectors in a 4 km stretch of a nearly 10km span.

Not to mention it's not even a true E-W connector. Airport Trail terminates in the middle of the city into residential area.

Unless we bulldoze Nose Hill and a bunch of communities west of it, we actually can't have another E-W connector through the city aside from Country Hills and McKnight/John Laurie (which also terminates into a residential, but at least on the west edge of the city).

Here, let's visualize all the possible E-W and see which one makes sense.

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:14 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jwslam
Second Gear

What I drive: is easy to spot
Posts/Day: 0.44
Trader Rating: (61)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

Unless we bulldoze Nose Hill and a bunch of communities west of it, we actually can't have another E-W connector through the city aside from Country Hills and McKnight/John Laurie (which also terminates into a residential, but at least on the west edge of the city).

How do we petition to dig this awesome tunnel idea of mine?
Not a perfect E-W connector but would save so much time from driving around the hill

Attachment: capture.jpg

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:27 PM
jwslam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwslam Click here to Send jwslam a Private Message Find more posts by jwslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sexualbanana
Second Gear

What I drive: Altima Se-R
Posts/Day: 0.39
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

Don't forget the south end where there isn't a E-W connector between Anderson Road and Stoney (formerly 22x). Or, since Anderson doesn't even go entirely E-W, Glenmore to Stoney.

Approx 6.1km, according to Google Maps.

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:31 PM
sexualbanana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sexualbanana Click here to Send sexualbanana a Private Message Visit sexualbanana's homepage! Find more posts by sexualbanana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kertejud2

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Don't forget the south end where there isn't a E-W connector between Anderson Road and Stoney (formerly 22x). Or, since Anderson doesn't even go entirely E-W, Glenmore to Stoney.

Approx 6.1km, according to Google Maps.

Already too many in the south with Southland so close to Anderson, no point in adding another.

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:43 PM
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Already too many in the south with Southland so close to Anderson, no point in adding another.

I just want them to take the lights out of any w-e road down south, just one

Old Post 05-12-2017 10:44 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

quote:

Isn't that like saying no point adding Airport Trail because McKnight is so close to 32nd?

Old Post 05-13-2017 12:34 AM
kertejud2

What I drive:

quote:

Isn't that like saying no point adding Airport Trail because McKnight is so close to 32nd?

Meh, all the redundant roads blur together when looking at a map.

Old Post 05-13-2017 12:50 AM
adam c
Second Gear

What I drive: has a turbo
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I wish Southland terminated at Blackfoot, would ease so much congestion in that area on Deerfoot

Old Post 05-13-2017 12:53 AM
adam c is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam c Click here to Send adam c a Private Message Find more posts by adam c Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:03 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Crowchild Tr FYI

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: