Quantcast
iPhone sales to be banned in USA? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: iPhone sales to be banned in USA?

Default iPhone sales to be banned in USA?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...an-for-iphones

Ongoing royalty dispute with Qualcomm.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Never going to happen. That's what courts are for. Click bait sensationalist thread title

My Ride
    Silverado

Reminds me of a Toma thread.

ZenOps is retarded?

Not really.

http://fortune.com/2017/04/28/apple-...ties-qualcomm/

Apple is already $500 million short on payments to Qualcomm. Qualcomm is well within their rights to refuse sales to anyone who does not pay. Apple says royalties are too high and will refuse to buy - and you can't build *any* phones without chips.

Qualcomm doesn't want to sell for lower price, Apple doesn't want to buy at high price. No phones get made or sold, simple US Trumponomics.

Y'know, Bloomberg and Fortune are *fairly* reputable business writers. I'm surprised that apple fanboys simply cannot fathom that they will not be allowed to buy a possibly non-existant product because of US trade disputes.

Trump wants to build nukes and dig for coal, he does not want to buy "overpriced" iPhones made in China... If you got a problem with it, take it up with the new USA.

I mean, they can still *make* Iphones - They just wont be any faster or better with each new generation. LOL.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-07-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Apple doesn't use Qualcomm anymore though they stopped a couple years ago and started using Intel. Do you read the articles??? Where do you come up with your off tangent replies??

edit: bloomberg and fortune are regurgitated news outlets.

My Ride
    V8s

Qualcomm does not make *just* chips, they have patent rights that Apple uses in its very core, the transistors firing in specific ways, the antenna layouts, etc.

Now, Intel can license this off of Qualcomm and then resell a specialized piece of silicon to Apple but that seems like a strange workaround.

I know apple fans are pretty on the train about their product, but this is solid news that the future Iphones may not be for sale in the US (directly anyhow) in the very near future. Its sort of like how in Canada we can't buy a mouthful of Wisconsin cheese, even though they produce 3 Billion pounds of cheese each year.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:42 PM.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Today I learned that ZenOps found the asterisk key and likes to use it to put emphasis on certain words in his gibberish ranting
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    My (somewhat limited) understanding of the situation is that Qualcomm somehow owns the patent (or a conglomerate of patents) to the idea of a smartphone with high speed data capabilities.

So it doesn't even matter what chipset they use... if it is a smartphone with high speed data capabilities, they owe Qualcomm a cheque.

My guess is to get into such a lucrative monopolistic position, they probably spend a lot of the money they get on lobbyists (AKA bribing senators) in DC, so if Apple doesn't pay up, it is possible the government will side with Qualcomm on this issue.

I am kind of with Apple on this... it is BS
    Yea, whatever chipset Apple decides to use, they have to pay royalties to the Qualcomm patents. But that's really not the focus here. The reason why Apple all of a sudden stopped paying royalties was because Apple co-operated with Korea in the Qualcomm antitrust investigation. Qualcomm lost that case in Korea, so they got all pissy with Apple, raised their rates by stopping rebate payments against patent licensing on using Qualcomm chips. So Apple retaliated by not paying anything at all, and here we are.

Qualcomm thinks Apple is out to get them by pushing antitrust issues everywhere from their licensing model (they lost in China and one pending in US IIRC). But that makes zero sense, because Apple was paying significantly less than other manufactures due to volume and dodgy licensing rebates to get around antitrust laws. In the end once this is sorted out, Qualcomm will need to take in less money to satisfy the antitrust issues, and Apple will pay more. Both sides lose haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by rage2
    In the end once this is sorted out, Qualcomm will need to take in less money to satisfy the antitrust issues, and Apple will pay more. Both sides lose haha.
    Consumer also loses with far inferior Intel radio and lack of 5G support on near future iPhones.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Consumer also loses with far inferior Intel radio and lack of 5G support on near future iPhones.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    And the reason why Intel's radio is inferior is because Qualcomm only licenses the bare minimum of patents to Intel to create their competing product. They won't license the patents that allows Intel to create an equivalent or better performing chipset. Qualcomm isn't allowed to do this, because they agreed to license their patents at fair value to others when they worked with standards organizations for building cellular standards. That's the core of the FTC investigation.

Whatever happens, this is the downfall of Qualcomm. No standards committee is going to allow Qualcomm to use their technology/patents as part of future standards because of this mess, and that's where they make pretty much all of their revenue.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by eglove
    Apple doesn't use Qualcomm anymore though they stopped a couple years ago and started using Intel. Do you read the articles??? Where do you come up with your off tangent replies??

edit: bloomberg and fortune are regurgitated news outlets.
    i dont know anything about iphones but i do know Qualcomm invented cdma and the iphone 7 (some models?) may have the CDMA modules.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by thetransporter
    i dont know anything about iphones but i do know Qualcomm invented cdma and the iphone 7 (some models?) may have the CDMA modules.
    It's not just CDMA, they hold patents for LTE as well and have to license this fairly to both companies that use them and competitors that build competing products because they pushed standards committees to use their technologies as part of CDMA and LTE standards. So really they didn't invent these standards, they won the right to use their tech as standards and as such needs to allow others to use it fairly which they're not doing.