Quantcast
The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread

My Ride
    NC1

The last 90 minutes at Talisman is only $5!

About 5 years ago we had a Beyond crew that would go 3-4X /week! And then everyone got lazy.

Anyway, PM me if you want to join in. My crew can play on other days as well, except Friday night. We usually have 3 players for sure, it's getting that 4th person can be hard sometimes.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

Well I'm trying to find a 4th person to play tonight so if anyone wants to join, PM me! If more people show, can always alternate on and off.

9:30pm-11:00pm Talisman!
    I am user #49

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

awww I cannot play during those times until school starts and I switch my times at work.

sweet thanks for the website I will definitely join the one in sept, and the one in november for sure.

150 bucks for a whole semester is pretty good, how many hours do you play and what time during those days?
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

My Ride
    POS

That's awesome guys I think I'll try to hit up Talisman one of these days. Haven't picked up a racquet in years, but played quite a bit back in the day, even played in the alberta summer games back in 92 I think (yes I'm old).

Is it everyday that the last 90 minutes is $5?

My Ride
    NC1

Yeah everyday!

I'll be there tonight for sure. Got a team of 4 going. Always up for a friendly match!
    I am user #49

Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

Haha he's not out of his prime oh and his brothers 11 I believe but he'll probably give you a good warm up maybe? Glad you actually found some people to play with.
    Haha I'm totally out man, I'm just getting fat nowadays.
    My brother is 11, but he'd give most people a pretty good warm up.

He does private lessons on saturdays, so if you have a partner or something, him and his coach would give you guys a challenge for sure.

max_boost: Too bad I live far NW, or else I'd drop by talisman for a game or two during those nights. Keep this thread going guys! If enough people are interested maybe we can organize a day for everyone to come out or something.

My Ride

i live far in the NW too, I live in hidden valley to be exact, but I love going for long drives just to do something haha. so im basically down for saturday at talisman. I'm also looking at that site for badminton alberta, and it makes me regret i haven't started this earlier when I was still in my teens. But I guess its still not too late to pick up the raquet with a good attitude.
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

My Ride
    NC1

Had a good session tonight. Syeve came out to play some doubles. Damn 6ft+ tall guys. Can hit everything haha
    I am user #49

^ up two. Haha that's pretty sweet.

Would this be your first official Alberta tournament?

My Ride

yes it would be my first, what about you?

btw, im reading the site, and it doesn't say: but do I need to pay for a membership in order to sign up for tournaments around the country/province?I know that my friend's auntie knows some top ranked korean players that played in the olympics and other major tournaments around the world. I should see if I can get in on the action ahah.

edit #2: also what would you guys consider the best way to increase endurance/stamina exponentially? I heard interval training was the way to go, for example: SPRINT like mad, then go at a slower speed for about 30 seconds then at an even slower speed for 60 seconds then SPRINT like mad again.
    Last edited by r0g3r; 08-26-2008 at 01:36 AM.

I've played tourneys before haha but I'm done now. It's all my brother's time now..

Um, well technically you're supposed to pay for membership in order to join the tournament. That way you can be ranked and you can be registered as an "Badminton Alberta member."

However, if you just want to say join the tourney and not get ranked, you just sign up for an account on tournamentsoftware.com or whatever and you just pay for the tourney and you're registered for just the tourney. You can get around paying that badminton Alberta fee if you want I guess.

Haha yeah by all means try to get some playing time with them. I know of a korean player named Yale, he's up in citadel. He used to play pretty hardcore back in korea, maybe your friend's aunt may know him.

For speed and stamina, I'd probably get a court or even like a basement. Pretty much you get a space and you start at the center. You take a few steps to get to the right top corner..then back to the middle. Then left top corner...back to middle. Right bottom corner, back to middle, etc. If you do this, it should increase your stamina exponentially as well as helping your footwork.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-...eature=related

My Ride

Originally posted by gqmw
    For speed and stamina, I'd probably get a court or even like a basement. Pretty much you get a space and you start at the center. You take a few steps to get to the right top corner..then back to the middle. Then left top corner...back to middle. Right bottom corner, back to middle, etc. If you do this, it should increase your stamina exponentially as well as helping your footwork.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-...eature=related
    nice, I remember doing that during highschool when we had to warm up before playing games. I think my footwook is down, since I play quite a bit of squash and soccer.

edit: any of you watch professional badminton? my all time favorite player is taufik hidayat, his shots are known to be very tricky and very well know for his backhand smash. he is my hero, a 2004 olympic gold medalist, along with 2005 world champion. the other player I watch is Lee chong wei of malaysia, which in my mind should have won the gold instead of Lin Dan of china during the bejing olympics. Peter Gade was also an excellent player during his prime, but now a days hes just like taufik, a second class player. =(
    Last edited by r0g3r; 08-26-2008 at 02:12 AM.

My Ride
    2005 F350

the yearly fee for joining badminton alberta is about $36. you can join as many tournys as you like with that fee. if you just plan to join 1 tourny, it would cost you around $10-$15 for the BA fee.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by max_boost
    Had a good session tonight. Syeve came out to play some doubles. Damn 6ft+ tall guys. Can hit everything haha
    OMG so sore. Havn't played in years...I am paying dearly!!

Thanks again for the invite, it was good times!!

Steve

My Ride
    M3/C300

I'll try and make it for Weds night's session.

Is it pretty dead where you guys play in talisman?
    Say I bring a friend or 2 will there be courts to play in while we alternate between games?

hahaha there should totally be a beyond badminton meet at talisman lol
    never knew soo many ppl on here played

My Ride

Originally posted by SOAB
    the yearly fee for joining badminton alberta is about $36. you can join as many tournys as you like with that fee. if you just plan to join 1 tourny, it would cost you around $10-$15 for the BA fee.
    oh good, thanks, thats cheap, and how can I pay this $36? Do i have to go down to the office of badminton alberta? (not that I mind)

Originally posted by r0g3r

oh good, thanks, thats cheap, and how can I pay this $36? Do i have to go down to the office of badminton alberta? (not that I mind)
    You can pay when you register for the tournament. I think it's a little bit more than 36 but I can't remember. When you pay for a tourney, you can just select the box where it says if you need to purchase membership as well. It's pretty easy, and you just credit card the whole transaction.

Hidayat is my favorite player to watch as well haha. His backhand smash is sick. He's always so cool and calm it almost looks like he's never trying =D.

My Ride
    cayenne S/250ninja

hey john,
    you going to play at talisman this week?
    i'n in.
    sam you play wednesday's?
    i stopped playing like 8 months ago and I want to get back into it. but i rather get some pretty competitive rally's in. we used to go all the time after 9:30pm.
    who says girls can't beat guys!

Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast