Quantcast
Friend as a short term roommate? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Friend as a short term roommate?

Originally posted by baygirl
    And is he the type to go out partying on the weekend and will bring random girls/guys home?
    Yep. That part isn't healthy for a young kid in the house. Although if he's an adult, he should be able to keep it down for 3 months.

Originally posted by JfuckinC

He broke up with his girlfriend, has his place rented(paid for), it's not like he got fired and fell on hard times, def make him pay rent lol..
    Yep. He's gotta pay. Discounted but c'mon, he's getting income and living for free.
    He should be able to provide proof that he's served his tenants a cancellation of lease due to his circumstances. The time frame needed after this is served is 6 months.

There is lots to rent out there and I'm certain he could find a fully furnished bedroom to rent in the mean time.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You need a lawyer to break up with a girlfriend now?
    If you're common law, it's not as simple as you'd think.

Originally posted by spike98

Common law partnerships aren't always that simple. Hopefully your buddy has at least seen a lawyer. Pre-common law assets would be safe, but after that...Split it.
    Yep.

Alternatively, why wouldn't he just continue renting his place out (assuming he signed them up for a year lease at a much higher monthly rate) then find his own place a bit cheaper and profit?? It's difficult to find tenants right now so he's got some and making money so why not keep it that way.
    Him renting a room off someone would be a few $100's/mnth. Breaking that lease early wouldn't be the end of the world. But that's just me. I don't know, maybe he's a bad business guy and losing money on the condo rental.

I have been there for (many) friends in similar situations and friends have been there for me in the past (once)... Overall it has been fine but once produced a less than favourable result, although not a nightmare, it did tax a long standing friendship that has never recovered fully.

Really it will come down to how well you know each other and having a clear understanding of expectations.

As you have a younger child in the house, her comfort and safety is paramount. Obviously your rules in this regard must be solid. Things such as no drugs, random people/guests you are not comfortable with, parties, behaviours etc all be 100% under your control and by your approval only. If he is a good friend he should understand this and be enthusiastic about making as little of an impact on your day to day living as possible and be happy to do so.

Outside of that, consider things such as tidiness, personal grooming habits, sharing duties such as cooking, cleaning etc, schedule crossing (if you both need to shower before work etc it can be a PITA if there is only one bathroom for example) etc.

It may seem simple but the smallest things can put a strain on an otherwise normal friendship, but by the same token, helping a friend is rewarding and will come back to you one day if you ever find yourself in need.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Update?

My Ride
    G37X

Getting them in is one thing, getting them out? Heh..good luck with that.

Originally posted by jwslam
    Update?
    I told him that we would have to get together for a beer and discuss things but he didn't bring it up again. Turns out he signed a fixed term lease and the tenant wasn't willing to leave until the lease was up, which is October. He's still with the friends he was originally with and now looking a buying another place and keeping the one he has now as a rental.

Originally posted by cet

and now looking a buying another place and keeping the one he has now as a rental.
    Hopefully he'd at least bring the KY into your place when he moved in and started fucking you over for $$.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3