Quantcast
Career - Enjoy or Tolerate - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Is it a need to enjoy your career or simply tolerate it?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enjoy

49 50.00%
  • Tolerate

49 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Career - Enjoy or Tolerate

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Originally posted by Buster
    I love what I do. I'm lucky. My biggest fear is that it will all dry up some day.
    I have the same fears...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think there is a big difference between not enjoying what you do and having aspects of your job you tolerate.

If you hate what you do your ability to be motivated, to do the best you can do, and to do what you are doing for an entire career is going to be challenged.

I think people who hate what they do just tell themselves that's what life is like for everyone in order to make their own lives seem more bearable in comparison. Personally I know lots of people who love what they do, and that doesn't mean for one second that there aren't challenges associated with their jobs that they dislike.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I really enjoy my career. But were just not busy enough over the year, so I might start exploring options.

Last year:

- Busy Jan/Feb/March
    - Didn't do any projects April/May/June
    - Small amount of work July/Aug/Sept
    - Busy Oct/Nov/Dec

I definitely enjoy aspects of my work, mostly the customer relations part, and getting sweet rides through the shop is cool, but if I am being totally honest, just like everything, when you are past the point of always learning new things it can become a bit of a grind at times. Mostly though it is fun for me.

this poll shouldnt be so black and white. there are varying degress of 'enjoy' and i think people are seeing this as either 'love' or 'tolerate'. maybe it should be a scale. like 1-5 how much should you enjoy your job? 1 is hate, 2 is tolerate, 3 is tolerate half the time and enjoy half the time, 4 is enjoy most aspects and 5 is love your job. i dont know just an idea.

I think it's important to enjoy your job but also unrealistic to think you should love it every day and be excited to go into work all the time. there is a balance. if i loved my job too much, i'd probably neglect my family. if i hated my job too much, i'd probably be a miserable prick.

I think most people do not do what they love, or we'd all be out test driving exotics for a living or some similarly unattainable job. I think it would be a better poll with 3-4 options rather than like/tolerate. I mostly like my job and I like that it gives me enough money for a reasonable lifestyle, which goes a long way toward quality of life in general.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

It's always been tolerate for me, I LOVE my hobbies, none of which would bring a reasonable income, so I tolerate work to make sure I can enjoy multiple hobbies in my free time, and so I can retire one day with decades to enjoy those hobbies.

I have lots of artist/musician/etc. friends and while I envy their ability to stay out late on weekdays, tour, etc. I've seen where that leads 10 years down the road for 99% of them. I went back to school, grinded through various entry level positions (including 100+ hour work weeks) and now am in a position that has a work life balance. Because I sacrificed earlier in my career, I now have the experience to do more stuff at my job that I consider fun, but it will always be a drag getting up at 5 am.

Every day I day dream about retirement, and getting to spend all my time on hobbies. I also think of how much it would suck if I didn't get a tollerable career, and was still a high school grad who had fun in my 20's but didn't make any steps to a career with a future.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Like you, I started with what was (for me) a dream job. I loved what I did and over the years I became really good at it. I went from being a work horse to finding more joy in mentoring the younger guys which has definitely been the most rewarding aspect of what I have accomplished so far.

I really like being the go-to guy for questions from my peers however lately I've found myself tapped out with what I am learning. I'm rarely being challenged and I don't really see an opportunity to move up so I've shifted from "enjoy" to "tolerate". I tolerate my job now and that worries me.

To me, enjoying what you do is important as work is where you spend the majority of your day. If I'm not enjoying things then I need to take a step back to evaluate what I am doing and what I can do to change that or move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    something green

I hate my job, I've been on autopilot for 10 years....
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by Maxt
    I hate my job, I've been on autopilot for 10 years....
    How's the pay for an "autopilot"?
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2