Quantcast
Looking for MWD in the Patch - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking for MWD in the Patch

Don't get me wrong, wireline can be a blast at times, but it can also be erratic. There are times when sleep and work come first, eat when you can and nothing else matters. Then there are times when the days are short and your entire shop can do something fun like go out golfing on a Friday afternoon. But who you work for can make a big difference as there are some companies right now that seldom work and others that seldom get a chance to rest. As a driver the long days and physical work can get pretty overwelming, but I don't know if the same goes for field supervisors/engineers or not. I am currently in a dillema where I am next in line at my shop to be trained as a field supervisor but not sure if I want to take it when the time comes.

MWD probably pays better on average than wireline, not? Again the regional thing really comes into play with wireline.... some of the shallow gas and heavy oil work is bid at insane prices and it takes a lot of work to get the bonus built up.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

If you can do cased hole and sleep in your own bed every night than I think thats a pretty good option. Not sure if he still posts on here but AWD seemed to have a pretty good gig going out of Red Deer? I think

To me the biggest difference between wireline and D&M will always be this:

Do you want to live/sleep/work here:

or Here

Lots of D&M guys quit right away once they realize there may be more money at another company, or that the hours aren't what they wanted, but ont he other hand most of the guys that have been around for a long time have been around for a LONG time. we have many 10+ year guys here.

I'm guessing not having to work out of a truck adds to longevity in the field.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

man that's so cool.

D&M D&M!!!

all the way

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I'm going to be honest with all of you guys.

MWD is the highest paying/work load ratio job ever.

You just have to deal with stress well and keep your gear in tip top shape.

I was field for 7 years and I now have 10 years experience doing it. If any of you guys want to know anything feel free to ask me via PM. I'll be 100% honest about Schlumberger and their practices.

Like i said before they have the best tools in the biz and their training is fantastic, but they don't have a clue about keeping their employees happy.

Later skaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Oh and by the way if you want to know what a top MWD hand makes as a consultant. Its around 150,000 to 200,000 a year. Depending on how much he/she wants to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Message LT247 he is a MWD currently working for Kambi.

Hey guys,

I have been an MWD for 5 years now, It is a great job for the money. Just be prepared to spend alot of time away from home.

I live in calgary, and I work about 200 days a year.

Could you guys let me know how much you get paid and your experience? I just recently made the jump to consultant and I want to make sure I get a fair rate.

I have 5 years experience on every tool my company has and am making $725 per day plus $50 sub and $1 per km.

Cheers!

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

I'd say shop around for what you really wanna do..

I'm just starting out with Halliburton and there's tons of crap available if you wanna stick around and shake some hands. Wireline, Tools, Cementing, Foam, Logging/Perf, Frac, Nitrogen, Bulk, etc.. Just sleep around and learn it all! Pretty interesting stuff if you ask me.

Make it be known to your managers of all the skills you posses outside of your degree. On my resume all I put was Class 1 license and some lease handing, but definitely letting everyone know on my crew that I can run a computer inside and out. It's making me the next prime candidate to be the commander of a foam van, and then more doors start to open as time goes on etc.

There's soooo much shit to learn and explore, don't get tunnel vision and focus on just one thing for the money or days on/off (unless that's all you're into).

BTW, if you ever make it into the field with that degree you got.. At least 'try' to hammer some iron, be part of the crew.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by monopauly
    Hey guys,

I have been an MWD for 5 years now, It is a great job for the money. Just be prepared to spend alot of time away from home.

I live in calgary, and I work about 200 days a year.

Could you guys let me know how much you get paid and your experience? I just recently made the jump to consultant and I want to make sure I get a fair rate.

I have 5 years experience on every tool my company has and am making $725 per day plus $50 sub and $1 per km.

Cheers!
    Sounds like you are on the mid to high range of MWD consulting spectrum.

Most consulting places I know of are starting guys at ~ 500/day day rate, + 100 GR, + 100kms, + Sub etc... All in they are only getting 700/day, if you are getting 700 for just day rate I'd say you are doing alright.

Now Ive also heard there are some STUD MWD hands over at phoenix that can watch movies better than anyone - They are apparently making close to 900/day.

Hope that helps.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    cardboard box

Hi,
    got an offer from SLB doing coiled tubing - anyone know what i'm getting into? Looking for people's opinions.
    Seems to be okay, other than retarded hours.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by The_gateway
    Hi,
    got an offer from SLB doing coiled tubing - anyone know what i'm getting into? Looking for people's opinions.
    Seems to be okay, other than retarded hours.

you work on a truck. have fun....

http://www.slb.com/services/coiled_tubing.aspx

My Ride
    cardboard box

Originally posted by broken_legs

you work on a truck. have fun....

http://www.slb.com/services/coiled_tubing.aspx
    I've read their website front/back, inside and out. What i'm looking for is personal experiences working with them. I've googled them and heard some horror stories - one guy said they were the "walmart of the oilfield" I.E. thousands of employees, ridiculously low pay and really high turnover.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by The_gateway

I've read their website front/back, inside and out. What i'm looking for is personal experiences working with them. I've googled them and heard some horror stories - one guy said they were the "walmart of the oilfield" I.E. thousands of employees, ridiculously low pay and really high turnover.
    What you just wrote is true. I'm a open hole wireliner with Slb and morale is in the dumpster here in llyod and engineers are dropping like flies due to the horrendous pricing they have here in heavy oil (not alot for job bonus). Management here has been incompetent at best. Alot of the bad managers have been transferred out so we'll see how things change. But one thing I can say is that the training provided here is second to none... It's very good.
    Last edited by A2VR6; 09-04-2010 at 02:14 AM.

My Ride
    cardboard box

Well I think my 12 month plan is to get all the training and then get the heck outta there. I guess i'm thinking too much into it, but there are just so many reviews online that says they have gone downhill...I can\t ignore what the majority of people are saying about it.
    I dunno, just take the job and see where it goes from there I guess

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Let's bump this 5 year old thread..

All you MWD hands, DDs, etc. on beyond, how are y'all weathering this downturn?

With no contracts on the horizon, things are getting tight. Are people going out of province for work? Switching industries temporarily (or permanently?).

All oilpatch workers (victims) welcome to comment.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Ford F150

I have one friend still working, his day rate was dropped by 60% though. Not much in the way of work rumours coming from head office, you know it's bad when they don't even make oil patch promises.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Life is relaxing. No big checks rolling in but not broke either. Decided to go back to school.

Got 2 friends working for Phoenix still. They have fired a looooootttt of guys though. A lot a lot.

Might go back some day if it picks up and I have no other choice.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Changing out of the field contract work. It's not a schedule I want to keep up with and this is as good as excuse as any to go back to school, especially when it's being paid for.

A few friends have had the usual "we're starting up in June" bullshit. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if licenses are expiring or what but I don't know why they would even try to be optimistic this year!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Wankels!

Originally posted by themack89

Got 2 friends working for Phoenix still. They have fired a looooootttt of guys though. A lot a lot.
    You're not kidding. In the shop Maintenance got cut by more than half. Engineering/Manufacturing/Sustaining/Reliability all cut by more than half. I was unfortunate enough to get hit in the last round of cuts. Skeleton crew over there.

I'll be looking for work in all industries - no good reason to be tied to O&G.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Spring meetings are claiming there's a decent amount of work for June and July. But 75% of staff hands are gone and there's dozens of consultants that are benched so I think the future looks pretty grim.

Kind of a shitty year for this to happen since I'm getting married next week. I'll wait it out till Christmas and if nothing pops up by then, then I'll think about changing industries.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast