Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > The Scotch Thread

Author
Thread
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

Nice gift ! I had the 1989/2005 bottling the other day and it's fantastic.

You guys checked out the new COOP World of Whiskies store yet ?

Where is this?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2016 06:25 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

RX_EVOLV
First Gear

What I drive: '16 Golf R:.
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (9)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by roopi

Where is this?

In the Wetherford building downtown, on the +15 level

Old Post 12-19-2016 07:59 PM
RX_EVOLV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RX_EVOLV Click here to Send RX_EVOLV a Private Message Find more posts by RX_EVOLV Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TYMSMNY
First Gear

What I drive: AMGGGGGGsixtythree
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (24)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

prices there are for the most part $$.

Something like Mac 21, cheaper at Liquor Depot and Olympia.

Old Post 12-19-2016 10:17 PM
TYMSMNY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TYMSMNY Click here to Send TYMSMNY a Private Message Find more posts by TYMSMNY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
89coupe
Third Gear

What I drive: BMW 750i M Sport
Posts/Day: 0.50
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

A little humour

Old Post 12-23-2016 05:34 PM
89coupe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 89coupe Click here to Send 89coupe a Private Message Visit 89coupe's homepage! Find more posts by 89coupe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

Past 2 nights has been Oban Little Bay for me. I was never a fan of Oban 14 but really like the Little Bay. I think I might give the 14 a try again. It seems like over the past year I've been moving away from the smoke/peat that made me fall in love with scotch.

Old Post 12-23-2016 06:10 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drtoohotty1
First Gear

What I drive: 03 CBR F4i, 04 ralliart, 01 tracker 12 outlander
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

FYI scotch guys

Craft Cellars (1345 32Ave NE, where XS Cargo used to be) has some tasty scotch deals for Robbie Burns day.

From their email (More specials in store), with a few comparison prices:

GLENLIVET FRENCH OAK 15 YEAR OLD
Price: $51.99

GLENFIDDICH 15 YEAR OLD DISTILLERY EDITION
Free Whiskey Glass w/purchase
Price: $65.99
($80 Liquor Depot, $95 LCBO, $86 LCBC)

BENROMACH 10 YEAR OLD
Price: $61.99

MACALLAN FINE OAK
17 YEAR OLD
Price: $269.00

GLENFIDDICH RUM CASK 21 YEAR OLD
Price: $245.99

ARDBEG 10 YEAR OLD
Price: $63.99
($70 Liquor Depot. $100 LCBO. $90 LCBC.)

LAPHROAIG QUARTER CASK
Price: $59.99

HIGHLAND PARK 12 YEAR OLD
Price: $53.99
($60 Liquor Depot, $75 LCBC/LCBO)

SCAPA 2001 VINTAGE
Price: $94.99

The free whiskey glass is a boxed authentic Glencairn glass printed with a random distillery name, worth $5-10 on its own. Some of the whiskies specifically mention "Free Glass"; I was given a glass with my Ardbeg as well. YMMV.

[Edit: All Alberta prices +GST & Deposit]

Originally posted by Unknown303
Everything makes me upset.

Originally posted by Mibz
Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Old Post 01-22-2017 03:13 AM
drtoohotty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drtoohotty1 Click here to Send drtoohotty1 a Private Message Find more posts by drtoohotty1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Those are good prices, but at the same time, why are they comparing them to prices in other provinces that have much higher liquor tax rates?

Old Post 01-22-2017 03:18 AM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drtoohotty1
First Gear

What I drive: 03 CBR F4i, 04 ralliart, 01 tracker 12 outlander
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (22)

quote:

I just copied and pasted from rfd instead of linking it.

Originally posted by Unknown303
Everything makes me upset.

Originally posted by Mibz
Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Old Post 01-22-2017 03:41 AM
drtoohotty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drtoohotty1 Click here to Send drtoohotty1 a Private Message Find more posts by drtoohotty1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tenth

What I drive: 06 WRX
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Those are good prices, but at the same time, why are they comparing them to prices in other provinces that have much higher liquor tax rates?

Personally, I look at other markets for relative value. I read a lot of reviews, and often the overall score is based on the price paid. I like to compare AB pricing to US and other Canadian provinces to see if we can get better than normal value, or if the product is priced way higher here than other markets. A good value example is the Bruichladdich Octomore, I bought the 7.3 at Highlander for $120 as compared to $170 USD at a couple of US vendors I looked at and $270 at the LCBO. Given the praise it has received at US/Ontario pricing, that was a no brainer to me. On the flip side, Aberlour A'bunadh, while delicious, is now meaningfully cheaper basically everywhere else ($120 here vs $100 tax-in in Ontario), so I tend to look at other sherried scotch with more value in our market as a substitute (Glenfarclas 105 or Glendronach 15 are both well priced at zyn).

I don't know that they do have higher taxes after the double hit we took from the NDP/Conservatives back in 2015, or whether the higher cost on scotch at the LCBO, etc is due to simplistic markups by the provincial monopoly. Most whisk(e)y under $50 is now cheaper at the LCBO and other provinces, while higher priced whisk(e)y is mostly cheaper here. I'd kill to still be able to grab Four Roses Single Barrel for $46. When it left our market it was closer to $55, and the last bottle I found in a small shipment was $66.

Old Post 01-25-2017 05:01 PM
tenth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tenth Click here to Send tenth a Private Message Find more posts by tenth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 79cx500 01UCF31
Posts/Day: 1.52
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Willowpark's scotch fest tomorrow! This one is usually more enjoyable than the fall one, less busy and easier to get info on stuff... it's sold out but I have a buddy with an extra ticket if anyone was thinking of going

Old Post 02-24-2017 11:38 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sorath
REAL Pedophile

What I drive: VANS AND MORE VANS
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (52)

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
Willowpark's scotch fest tomorrow! This one is usually more enjoyable than the fall one, less busy and easier to get info on stuff... it's sold out but I have a buddy with an extra ticket if anyone was thinking of going

damn, i wish i could make it

Originally posted by C_Dave45
I walked into one the other day, at 11:15 and she says "sorry, it's past 11". I said, "but the eggs are RIGHT THERE....in THAT door. You either grab me an egg, or you grab me a piece of turkey....what's the difference??". She still said "Sorry". WTF??

So I ordered the most disgusting tasting 12" sub, and at the end, said "Actually, I changed my mind. I'm going to head to the Subway down the road. They serve the breakfast sandwich all day long. Tell your boss, he can have this sandwich. Thanks anyways".

karmas gonna bite you in the ass

Old Post 02-24-2017 11:55 PM
Sorath is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sorath Click here to Send Sorath a Private Message Find more posts by Sorath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Not scotch, but drinking Bulleit bourbon tonight. Don't like it as much as makers mark, but gets me where I need to go.

Old Post 02-25-2017 03:13 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:21 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > The Scotch Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: