Quantcast
Motormaster (Canadian tire) batteries - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Motormaster (Canadian tire) batteries

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    +1 for Interstate, you can buy them directly from them from their location. Get the Megatron Plus series. They get used on all the aircraft service equipment and vehicles at my work and they do pretty damn well through the extreme temps they get put through.
    Looks like I'll pick this up for the Land Rover! The Motomaster it came with is too small for the frame so definitely not spec size.

For me, I found Kirkland batteries to be great, especially in winter.

I've read that it's just rebranded Optima batteries but I'll leave it as heresay.

So it's time for me to buy a new battery. I was looking at Interstate as per the previous recommendations, however it doesn't look like they make their premium AGM batteries (MT7 AGM) for Civics. Does anyone know a brand that makes the really high end AGM's for a Civic? I want the absolute maximum cold weather performance for these -30 start-ups, happy to spend $100-200 or whatever.

Also interesting that consumer reports rates the Kirkland batteries quite a bit ahead of the Interstate Megatron II...not sure how much weight there is being that though. No AGM's on the list.

Canadian tire makes some but I have no idea if they are garbage:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...l#.UqezgeIlhWE

Any other reputable AGM manufacturers? Are the CT AGM's OK?

Also I see some of therse AGMs have less CCA than normal batteries...are they measured differently or anything? I would think an AGM is way better in the extreme cold.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Optimas are pretty good. I bought mine from Mopac but i'd recommend buying it anywhere else if possible.

Originally posted by sabad66
    Optimas are pretty good. I bought mine from Mopac but i'd recommend buying it anywhere else if possible.
    Some quick research suggests most Optima's are excellent, but the ones purpose-made for the Civic seem to have a disturbing amount bad premature failure reports. Maybe there is an issue with that specific model. Either way thanks for the suggestion. As long as you don't buy it online, they have pretty good warranties.

CR Rates the Optima yellow top extremely high.

People seem to be quite happy with the Motomaster AGM and it's 5 year replacement warranty, however I do not trust some of those CT reviews haha.

Odyssey and DEKA batteries look to be the top-end, but it's difficult to find dealer info.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-10-2013 at 07:55 PM.

If you need some help finding a battery can PM me. I know where to get odyssey, trojan, bosch, optima and a few others
    Euro

I bought a few Deka batteries from Battery World not far east of chinook mall.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Where does one buy Interstate batteries?

The OEM battery in the Civic doesn't seem overly eager to turn over the motor in the winter.

I wish I could remember what I had in my S4's. Those cars turned over like it was a hot summer day after all night in -30 no problem.
    Just replaced the batt in my A4 after seven years (original battery) with an OEM from glenmore Audi. Not bad for $130 averaged over that time.

My S4 - which has been sitting every winter from new for 6-9 months, is now five years old on the original battery, and has started first time every spring without fail

Had a few crappy tire batteries on other vehicles and they never seem to last more than two/three years

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by sabad66
    I've heard nothing but awful things about Optimas for the past five years or so. Once upon time they were the best out there, now it seems they've gone to crap.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I've heard nothing but awful things about Optimas for the past five years or so. Once upon time they were the best out there, now it seems they've gone to crap.
    The more I read, the more I am finding this as well. They were bought by another company a few years ago I guess, and haven't been the same. Odyssey and Trojan seems to be the best. I'm still looking though. I just want crazy amounts of CCA at temperatures well below freezing.

The Motomaster AGM has over 600 CCA at -18C, which is pretty good for $150. I can't find much else about the quality of the battery though, it might be garbage. At least it hasa 5yr warranty.

I'm looking at that Motomaster one and the Odyssey PC925T.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The more I read, the more I am finding this as well. They were bought by another company a few years ago I guess, and haven't been the same. Odyssey and Trojan seems to be the best. I'm still looking though. I just want crazy amounts of CCA at temperatures well below freezing.

The Motomaster AGM has over 600 CCA at -18C, which is pretty good for $150. I can't find much else about the quality of the battery though, it might be garbage. At least it hasa 5yr warranty.

I'm looking at that Motomaster one and the Odyssey PC925T.
    I am looking to replace the OEM battery (lasted 3 years, died 4 times already this winter) in my mom's civic as well. If you find anything with decent CCA please do let me know.

Originally posted by HiSpec

I am looking to replace the OEM battery (lasted 3 years, died 4 times already this winter) in my mom's civic as well. If you find anything with decent CCA please do let me know.
    I'll let you know what I get. I find the OEM Civic battery to be a bit weak in the cold, and I am a very low KM driver, so AGM batteries make sense for me. I'm guessing any "premium" battery will be an improvement over OEM, but I'm happy to pay $150-200 for a ridiculously good one if it means I will likely never need a boost or get stranded if I leave an interior light on or something.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

Go to Honda, get a OE Honda battery from a K24 equipped Honda, those should be bigger/more CCA.

$130, free 3 year warranty, plenty of CCA.

Then you can say your Honda runs on HondaPower. Power of Dreams!

At Crappy Tire last time my mom bought a battery there you had to pay for warranty beyond a year. Still true?

Replaced my 5 yr old optima yellow top with a motomaster eliminator today. $170 after battery exchange. 5 year replacement warranty, AGM, and I think about 630 CCA.

So far so good but the true test will be on a cold day

My one car's been parked for the past 3 weeks in this terrible cold, although in the garage, at -30 it's still pretty damn cold in my garage hahaha. Anyway, today after work when I got home, I went to go and fire her up - BOOM!!!! No probs at all, not even a bit of hesitation. This is that Interstate battery I picked up a few months ago now to replace the dead OEM battery. Just saying....S-O-L-I-D battery from personal experience.

my sons Civic barely started btw. Sat for about a week...maybe not enough CCA, dunno, but his car isn't running an interstate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 05:11 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    My one car's been parked for the past 3 weeks in this terrible cold, although in the garage, at -30 it's still pretty damn cold in my garage hahaha. Anyway, today after work when I got home, I went to go and fire her up - BOOM!!!! No probs at all, not even a bit of hesitation. This is that Interstate battery I picked up a few months ago now to replace the dead OEM battery. Just saying....S-O-L-I-D battery from personal experience.

my sons Civic barely started btw. Sat for about a week...maybe not enough CCA, dunno, but his car isn't running an interstate.
    My truck was the same way. The only issue I had with my truck was low fuel and possible water in the lines causing a no start issue. A bit of starting fuel and away she went.

Love my Interstate battery too.

I also picked up a 1.25 amp deltran battery tender for the summer car this weekend - on sale at CT for $49.99. For those who have a car parked for the winter, definitely recommend this, better than a trickle charger. keeps the battery from dying.
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

I thought I should report back, I ended up with a MotoMaster ULTRA AGM battery. I discovered it is a re branded Exide battery, not actually made by CT (the data safety sheet CT has on the battery is an Exide data sheet as well). 5 year warranty and $160 (cheaper than the Exide branded one).

Had it for a couple months now, really happy with it so far. My car turns over like a hot summer day in the -30 deep freeze we had for those few weeks in Jan/Feb.

I have a bettery tender under my hood that plugs in with my oil pan heater+battery pad. Its perfect.

battery tender is pimp, like I said...great investment for those who keep summer toys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast