Quantcast
CarCostCanada worth it? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CarCostCanada worth it?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    I think i was misunderstood... If someone brings me a carcost report... GREAT! They really didn't have to do that though... I will gladly show my invoice cost. You basically just spent 40 bucks for something I would have shown you for free... that's why I think it's a waste of money.

Also, there ARE variables in cost... perhaps it costs me more to bring a car in since I brought it from another dealer and a deal fell through on it... there are many variables.

Anyway, if it helps you sleep at night, great, get it! It makes my job easier as well, so I am all for it, I would just never spend money on it myself.
    Being naturally skeptical, I always look for independent information. Sorry, I simply don't trust car salesmen. Their job is to part me from as much money as possible.

Then again, I really don't trust anyone.. so don't feel discriminated against.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by codetrap
    Being naturally skeptical, I always look for independent information. Sorry, I simply don't trust car salesmen. Their job is to part me from as much money as possible.

No hard feelings, as I said... you are just saving me time from having to search the car on the computer and print out stuff.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

No hard feelings, as I said... you are just saving me time from having to search the car on the computer and print out stuff.
    I think what's confusing people is that you said you would likely give a better deal to someone who did not have a CCC report, but if you show them invoice anyway, why does one person get the better deal when in both scenarios the customer is aware of the cost?

I'd think a quick $500-$1000 profit or whatever sale is better than no sale, but I'm not in the industry.

It all depends on the person really. I'm not going to lie, I may be different than others... but if a person is respectful and kind, I tend to do better for them.

If someone comes in shoving a car cost in my face demanding "BEST PRICE BEST PRICE" I will show them a decent price, but it's likely not as good as I can do. Have I ever lost a deal over price? Only once, and that's because another dealer was inflating the guys trade but just showing it in the price of the car.... greasy.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Yes, sometimes it's more than $$$. Good service from dealer and after sales stuff is important.

Originally posted by codetrap

i'm 100% in agreement with you. I wouldn't trust a car sales guy if he showed me some paper with his cost lol. $40 isn't much when you look at the big pic.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

It all depends on the person really. I'm not going to lie, I may be different than others... but if a person is respectful and kind, I tend to do better for them.

If someone comes in shoving a car cost in my face demanding "BEST PRICE BEST PRICE" I will show them a decent price, but it's likely not as good as I can do. Have I ever lost a deal over price? Only once, and that's because another dealer was inflating the guys trade but just showing it in the price of the car.... greasy.
    I understand your point, however, I disagree with you. I'm not in the biz, so I can't really say what it's like day to day, but I would personally be trying to build a reputation of giving the best (read same) deal to everyone, indiscriminately. Why? Because once your name is out there for giving great deals all the time, then people will flock to you to buy a car. When people start to compare notes, and find out one guy got a better deal than another, which has personally happened to me, then you lose credibility. Consistently the same best deal all the time. That's a track record that someone can look at and be able to trust.

I don't buy the whole thing about building a relationship to get the service aspect. Where you buy your car, and where you get it serviced are often two different places. I bought my Mazda on the south side, but I get it serviced at Stoney, because it's WAY closer. I bought my truck in Olds, but I get it serviced in Airdrie, because it's closer.

I also look for the best quality of service, you are probably a great salesman, but if your service dept is shit, you're never going to see me again. Then again, you're probably never going to see me again anyways.. I can count the number of sales guys I've kept in touch with on one finger. I'm not sure what you mean by "bring to the table for me" in regards to other stuff... do you mean like buying the prepaid service? Or all that extra crap?
    Last edited by codetrap; 07-04-2014 at 10:24 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Silverado

Personally, I do not like telling a salesperson that I know anything about the car. Even if I know every minute detail.

I will ask him questions I already know the answers to, see if he is a knowledgeable and trustworthy person.

Same would go for a CCC report. I would buy it, snd I would ask them what their invoice cost was.

My Ride
    NC1

Are you paying cash? Do what that one guy did, find out your exact model, options, color etc. and call all the dealers asking for the best price. Best price wins lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Went in today, spoke with a sales person. I knew what I was looking for, went on a test drive without her and when we came back she had worked the numbers on the car.

MSRP: $23,506

She said that because they got my info on unhaggle and knew I was shopping around, that their special dealer price was

$24,928

She told me that the their profit was only $1000 and that it was 5% above cost. She told me that without a deal, the vehicle price would come out to $26,047.

Now, ill remind you guys, I've never purchased a brand new vehicle before. Her numbers didn't make sense now that I'm looking at the sheet. When I add everything together it comes out to. $23,735. That's including all the pdi, AC tax, freight, "added equipment" and $319 worth of bs "other fees". Just slightly over MSRP number.

How does their "best" price come out to $24,047? Am I missing something here? The point is to pay slightly over cost 3-6% and under MSRP correct?

Not sure where her figures come from but would love to hear what you guys think of their offer and what I should counter with. According to CCC the cost/wholesale price is $21,669
    Last edited by funkedelic2; 07-05-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Regarding the call every dealer thing. I did that before I worked in the industry. Do you think I got the best price? Nope, sure didn't. Once I started working for my dealer I then knew I could have easily beaten that price. So, calling around is NOT the best way to do it.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by funkedelic2
    Went in today, spoke with a sales person. I knew what I was looking for, went on a test drive without her and when we came back she had worked the numbers on the car.

She said that because they got my info on unhaggle and knew I was shopping around, that their special dealer price was

$24,928

She told me that the their profit was only $1000 and that it was 5% above cost. She told me that without a deal, the vehicle price would come out to $26,047.

Now, ill remind you guys, I've never purchased a brand new vehicle before. Her numbers didn't make sense now that I'm looking at the sheet. When I add everything together it comes out to. $23,735. That's including all the pdi, AC tax, freight, "added equipment" and $319 worth of bs "other fees". Just slightly over MSRP number.

How does their "best" price come out to $24,047? Am I missing something here? The point is to pay slightly over cost 3-6% and under MSRP correct?

Not sure where her figures come from but would love to hear what you guys think of their offer and what I should counter with. According to CCC the cost/wholesale price is $21,669
    To me a deal is something that would total under MSRP, I would never pay it or over it.
    I am shopping for a vehicle currently, and looked at a vehicle with an msrp of 45,500.00 but got a price of 37,500 all in, which to me says they want to make a sale.
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by Maxt

To me a deal is something that would total under MSRP, I would never pay it or over it.
    I am shopping for a vehicle currently, and looked at a vehicle with an msrp of 45,500.00 but got a price of 37,500 all in, which to me says they want to make a sale.
    May I ask what vehicle it was?

My Ride
    2010 Acura CSX Type S

Luxury car salesman here:

When my guests come in with car cost canada it tends to be a good thing. It shows me that they are ready to buy the car and they are just making sure they aren't ripped off. It also demonstrates to them how little we make on new vehicles. Our markup is fair.

I confirm the trim and model with them and how they are paying. I make sure that the report is accurate. (its always accurate at my dealership)

We take the cost of the vehicle and add 4-6% depending on the model. Some of our more rare vehicles will get about 6% or more. We rarely take less than 4% of profit on the car due to being a luxury brand. Normal brands make up for lower profits by trying to sell more units.

The client is usually happy with getting 4-6% above cost. We move on.

As a car salesman it helps when the guest is informed. They usually know what they want, it's my job not to screw it up. These days price is less of an issue. Markup is marginal. People want to be treated well, not to be lied to, or feel ripped off.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Travel_Dude

When my guests come in with car cost canada it tends to be a good thing. It shows me that they are ready to buy the car and they are just making sure they aren't ripped off. It also demonstrates to them how little we make on new vehicles. Our markup is fair.

I confirm the trim and model with them and how they are paying. I make sure that the report is accurate. (its always accurate at my dealership)

We take the cost of the vehicle and add 4-6% depending on the model. Some of our more rare vehicles will get about 6% or more. We rarely take less than 4% of profit on the car due to being a luxury brand. Normal brands make up for lower profits by trying to sell more units.

As a car salesman it helps when the guest is informed. They usually know what they want, it's my job not to screw it up. These days price is less of an issue. Markup is marginal. People want to be treated well, not to be lied to, or feel ripped off.
    Excellent post and this is what most people want to read/hear etc.

CCC for high demand cars is useless, basically pay MSRP or gtfo lol unless that has changed).
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Travel_Dude

Sounds exactly like silver hill acura.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Has four wheels

$24,928

Your figures aren't making a lot of sense to me. First off, can you tell us exactly what trim and options you're looking at? Do your numbers include GST?

If you can scan the sheet you got (blank out your personal information, if any) and post it in this thread, along with your unhaggle cost report, that would be helpful.

Basically, what you want to do is, take the cost you see on unhaggle, including everything but GST. I don't know how unhaggle works, but any CCC report I've generated was structured that way.

Then you add 3-6% dealer markup (keep in mind that Toyota's profit margin on a car like the Corolla will be pretty small), and go to the dealer with that number, saying that is your offer, all inclusive, before GST. Just keep yourself aware of the extra 5% coming out of your wallet, on top of whatever their price is.

Let them figure out how to structure their BS fees...all you're interested in is your total cost.

If you can post more details, I can tell you more.

My Ride
    Bicycle

$24,928

If $24047 is otd price with GST included. Then they gave it to you close to cost.

You should have a number in the head before going in.

You are dealing with a cheap car with little or no margin. Unless there are tons on the lot, you won't get much a discount.

They are also less hungry to close deals at the beginning of the month.

I know this is an old thread, but after reading it I just have to throw in my 2 cents (and probably open a can of worms)

So according to what I've gathered so far, carcostcanada.com provide a report showing "invoice price", i.e. what dealership pays to manufacturer for the car which is a few $000 below the MRSP. The consumer would pay for this information and they recommend consumers to start the negotiation with 2-3% upward from this "invoice" price.

In several discussions on this topics, some users even admit that they are car salesperson and even dealership sales managers who commented that they like this service because it's quicker to come to an agreement with the consumers with this report in hand, much less hassle on negotiation. Ask yourself: why would a salesman like a service that minimize their profit, i.e. their commision???

I suspect that this report actually helps the dealerships more than the consumers. According to what I've read in many forums, dealerships may also get manufacturer's incentives (for dealerships only, not advertised to consumers) and also some other funds such as "hold back" for advertising, etc. So in many cases, dealership can actually sells the car at or below "invoice" price and still make a decent profit. Adding another 3-5% above the invoice price would actually be icing on the cake, so they would be more than happy to sell consumers 3% above the "invoice" price.

I've been doing a lot of research lately as I'm in the market to buy a new car. The end result that I found from visiting many forums is that Canadians gets on average 5% off the MSRP while many consumers in the US are posting 10-15% off the MSRP.

So my 2 cents is the "invoice" price is actually bogus. Why pay for a report that tell you what is the minimum you can pay? I say negotiate from the "invoice" price DOWN, not up. Maybe carcostcanada.com is sponsored by the the auto industry, who knows....
    Last edited by doninthe6; 05-09-2017 at 03:00 PM.

My Ride
    ute

CCC is a service owned and maintained by the dealer networks, as I understand it. I've used it...I use it to check invoice pricing as it is still a useful data point.

Car brands that tend to focus on volume over margin (most of them) benefit as it makes the process more efficient. Efficiency and volume is more important than a few bucks on the purchase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast