Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: boy cars are quick

Originally posted by Sonic
    Quick girl cars....Audi TT, Mercedes SLK, Mini Cooper S
    The TT with some tuning is a very fun and fast car. Handles amazing too

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by mr2mike
    They went forced induction back in the early 80s for production vehicles. I'm assuming it was cut because most people don't maintain their vehicle and would run problems that cost way too much to repair.

Doesn't the BMW 335 motor have issues a few years down the road with carbon build up? Now guys are working on a way to clean that up cost effectively?

Guess we do run a more, use and dispose society now.
    You just nailed it, we are in a disposal society 100%. Drive today, junk tomorrow. How long can that last??

Everyone wants new is the problem. No one wants a 94 vette when they can get a new accord 6-6

Out of curiosity how many people here don't have a car younger than 10 years old? I'm guessing almost no one but me (ok my youngest car is 9 years old if I'm honest)

How many people actually wrench on their own cars? Probably more but I bet a lot less on here than you'd think.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by J-hop

Out of curiosity how many people here don't have a car younger than 10 years old? I'm guessing almost no one but me (ok my youngest car is 9 years old if I'm honest)
    Don't have a car younger? So confusing lol
    So... A car older than 10 years old, that's a lot of people. That's 2006 and older basically, which is still so "new" when you think about it.

My Ride
    '16 Civic

The new Civic 1.5T practically dynos at 200 HP and torque from the crank and Car and Driver ran it 6.8 0-60mph on shit Firestone tires so a lot of cars nowadays aren't as slow as you think.

I also get 35 mpg in it
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

Originally posted by Disoblige

Don't have a car younger? So confusing lol
    So... A car older than 10 years old, that's a lot of people. That's 2006 and older basically, which is still so "new" when you think about it.
    Yea don't have a car younger, as in none of the cars you own are younger than 10 years old. My 08 (yea I know 9 years) car feels like a brand new right off the showroom car to me haha.

This comment was directed at the "disposable" attitude people take towards cars which I think is based a lot on image and having to have the latest stuff.
    Last edited by J-hop; 05-09-2017 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by J-hop

This comment was directed at the "disposable" attitude people take towards cars which I think is based a lot on image and having to have the latest stuff.
    Welcome to North America. In the rest of the world, this mindset is no where near as prevalent (save for big cities in Mainland China).

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

If I told you in 1994 that my accord could give your 6 speed LT1 corvette a good race you'd never believe it. You're kinda missing what I'm getting at. We have camrys, accords, golfs that are as fast or faster than some of the top dog V8 muscle cars were 20 years ago. Now that is progression!
    You have to either compare "top dogs" or compare same year vehicles. Comparing a 20 year newer vehicle to the middle of the road corvette doesn't make the most sense.

The V6 accord made 170 hp in 1995.

The LT1 made 300hp.

The "top dog" as you call it was the ZR-1 with an LT5 that made 405hp and did 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.

Your 6-6 doesn't match any of that performance.

Yes, there has been progress, but if you compare the performance of any model that was available in 1994 to it's current counter part, you will see progress.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Better snap one up quick, no V6 for 2018. I think it's amazing to own a fuel sipping, quiet, reliable daily driver that is as fast as a '94 LT1 Corvette.
    Yea but... then the ls1 came out 3 years later. So your car is faster than a 20 year old muscle car, but not a 17 year old one.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by riander5
    Yea but... then the ls1 came out 3 years later. So your car is faster than a 20 year old muscle car, but not a 17 year old one.
    Splitting hairs but yes, you're correct. And it's more just how far everyday cars have come along performance wise. A sub 6 second 0-60 used to be serious muscle car or even exotic car performance benchmark 25-30 years ago.

As an earlier poster said, 4's are the new 5's What freaks me out is joe suburban dad/wifey in his RS7 which 0-60's in what 3.4 seconds? Unlike the old days where cars that did a 0-60 in under 5 were summer only toys like F40's and only came with 3 pedals.

We have all season cars that have insane performance with next to none of the compromise. That scares me to think of that level of performance in the hands of someone who does not respect it.

Everything ain't for everyone imo. High performance has become a little too accessible and "easy" for a lack of a better word. With that in mind, restrictive safety/nannies and auto transmissions are the future.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Originally posted by Jonathanl10
    The new Civic 1.5T practically dynos at 200 HP and torque from the crank and Car and Driver ran it 6.8 0-60mph on shit Firestone tires so a lot of cars nowadays aren't as slow as you think.

I also get 35 mpg in it
    6.8 is considered decent now? Lol...Hondas

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by benyl

You have to either compare "top dogs" or compare same year vehicles. Comparing a 20 year newer vehicle to the middle of the road corvette doesn't make the most sense.

The V6 accord made 170 hp in 1995.

The LT1 made 300hp.

The "top dog" as you call it was the ZR-1 with an LT5 that made 405hp and did 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.

Your 6-6 doesn't match any of that performance.

Yes, there has been progress, but if you compare the performance of any model that was available in 1994 to it's current counter part, you will see progress.
    Fair enough. What I meant by that is cars considered to be general benchmarks for affordable performance such as the LT1 Corvette, Mustang Cobra (non 03/04 models!) I don't think I've ever even seen an LT5 ZR1 on the streets here. I'm talking performance cars which were accessible to the average middle class guy. Vipers, ZR-1s etc wouldn't be in that category to me.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Considering a 0-60 on a 1992 Civic Si is 8.4 while the EX was 9.3, yes that is fast.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by jwslam
    Considering a 0-60 on a 1992 Civic Si is 8.4 while the EX was 9.3, yes that is fast.
    That's crazy. And agree. For what it is, it's fast. Heck, that's almost as fast as the prior gen Si (sub 7 second 0-60.)

My Ride
    Bicycle

dial back 2 decades, you need a 3.5L v6 to get that.

And once you hit that 7s mark, cars are much more driveable, especially when transmission isn't manual.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Xtrema

dial back 2 decades, you need a 3.5L v6 to get that.

And once you hit that 7s mark, cars are much more driveable, especially when transmission isn't manual.
    Funny guy

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:40 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I wonder how many more posts before "supercar" gets tossed around...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by jwslam

There is nothing "fast" about 0-60.... you're only doing 60 at the end of it! The word is quick... cars are quick these days, you can be quick with the right gearing and power band, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a fast car

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast