Quantcast
Knife sharpener - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Knife sharpener

My Ride
    rally pig

bought a 1000/6000 whetstone for $45, will give it a try.
    tried sharpening my knives with the 2-stage sharpener and the stick and then tried the paper cut test and the 2-stage sharpener seems to be sharper.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Stones are the only way to go... I use a 1000/6000 waterstone
    http://www.amazon.ca/Woodstock-D1130...dp/B0000DD2C9/

I got a crash course in sharpening where I bought my knife in Osaka, but it's definitely a steep learning curve.
    Last edited by Strider; 11-16-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by taemo
    bought a 1000/6000 whetstone for $45, will give it a try.
    tried sharpening my knives with the 2-stage sharpener and the stick and then tried the paper cut test and the 2-stage sharpener seems to be sharper.
    Did you try it out yet? Turns out my dad has 1000/5000/10,000 grit stones so I get to try before I buy

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Did you try it out yet? Turns out my dad has 1000/5000/10,000 grit stones so I get to try before I buy
    yes i did, i ordered the 1000/6000, let it soak for 15min and started sharpening some of my knives for 1-2 minutes each side.

afterwards the knives definitely had more bite in them but still not sharp enough, probably because a) i didnt sharpen them for too long and b) i still havent got used to it yet.
    there were some close calls with me slicing my finger

Originally posted by taemo

yes i did, i ordered the 1000/6000, let it soak for 15min and started sharpening some of my knives for 1-2 minutes each side.

afterwards the knives definitely had more bite in them but still not sharp enough, probably because a) i didnt sharpen them for too long and b) i still havent got used to it yet.
    there were some close calls with me slicing my finger
    You definitely need to get a bit of a crash course if you want to optimize your stones. There are different techniques for sure but starting out I found the simplest is to do one side of the bevel until you can feel a burr develop on the opposite edge of the bevel. If you can feel a burr, flip the knife over and now start on the bevel of which you feel the burr. Once you can feel a burr along the entire opposite edge again, turn the knife over and move up to the next grit. You obviously need to try and stay consistent with your angles and keep the bevel registered the same as best as possible. It gets easier with a bit of practice. Keep that process up until you finish with the highest grit. The higher the grit, the less pronounced the burr, but you can feel it. I personally finish off stropping on leather to remove any remaining burr and polish the edge ever so slightly more.

If you learn this method, you will be hair popping sharp in no time! Remember though, even a mediocre sharpening job is better than no sharpening job, so just keep practicing. Every time you do it you get better and better and pretty soon, it is second nature...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The burr developing on both sides is absolutely critical and then honing it off.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My buddy got me a gorgeous damascus Masakage Gyuto as a wedding present, he used to be a chef so he thought it was a fitting gift. One of the best experiences I have ever had in a kitchen is using that knife.

I am paranoid to use it to much as I don't want to dull it though. The knifeware course sounds like a good investment for me, especially if i want to buy a few more pieces of Japanese knifewear. Not to mention it would be killer fun.

I have a set of decent, ie not base model, Henckels that I would be willing to practice on before i work up to the Masakage.

My buddy recommended a ceramic honing rod for Japanese steel for between sharpening. Anyone use them or just steel?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yep ceramic is the one you want. I started with 400/1000 grit stones. I guess after that it's all about refinement. But I can't see starting with 1000 being an issue unless it's super dull
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by tirebob
    You definitely need to get a bit of a crash course if you want to optimize your stones. There are different techniques for sure but starting out I found the simplest is to do one side of the bevel until you can feel a burr develop on the opposite edge of the bevel. If you can feel a burr, flip the knife over and now start on the bevel of which you feel the burr. Once you can feel a burr along the entire opposite edge again, turn the knife over and move up to the next grit. You obviously need to try and stay consistent with your angles and keep the bevel registered the same as best as possible. It gets easier with a bit of practice. Keep that process up until you finish with the highest grit. The higher the grit, the less pronounced the burr, but you can feel it. I personally finish off stropping on leather to remove any remaining burr and polish the edge ever so slightly more.

If you learn this method, you will be hair popping sharp in no time! Remember though, even a mediocre sharpening job is better than no sharpening job, so just keep practicing. Every time you do it you get better and better and pretty soon, it is second nature...

Originally posted by msommers
    The burr developing on both sides is absolutely critical and then honing it off.

thanks, will give the knives another try this weekend, will keep sharpening them on one side first until i get the burr

Originally posted by msommers
    Yep ceramic is the one you want. I started with 400/1000 grit stones. I guess after that it's all about refinement. But I can't see starting with 1000 being an issue unless it's super dull
    Definitely... I too always start at 1000 unless I am having to complete hone a new bevel from damage (a chipped edge or the like). Then I drop down.

BUMP

Picked up some naniwa sharpening stones, 400/1000/3000 from Paul's finest. My kitchen knives had gotten dull and the drag through sharpener wasn't cutting it. Sharpened 4 knives now in 2 sessions, and my last ones turned out well I think. Can slide cut paper with ease, but push cutting still catches. I need to strop more I think. One of challenges I've found is actually feeling the burr that develops. I've been going more with time and then testing for sharpness, but hopefully I'll get the feel of it with more practice. I find the act very soothing too.
    heloc that shit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2