Quantcast
Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by msommers
    Good call, Earl. Have you cooked any eggs since?
    haven't yet as I prefer using my lagostina pan for it since the lodge takes forever to heat up
    but after seasoning my lodge skillet, it definitely looks and feel more coated than out of the box, might give it a try this weekend along some bacon and will let you know.

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

Best Pan I've found - Nothing sticks

Heritage The Rock Non-Stick Frypan, 12-in

Picked it up at C-Tire around xmas, its my go to for everything now.

Got a 12" Lodge skillet for Christmas. Says it's ready to go from the factory (ie: pre seasoned) but after using it a couple times now I have my doubts how good it is. Definitely needs more bacon cooked on it first
    They say they're preseasoned but according to Cooks' Illustrated they find it's not enough seasoning, so they recommend you season it yourself too.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I usually go thru one whenever there is sign of scratches. Usually that's about 4-6 month of use.

I use little to no oil cooking, so that may be why I tend to get more scratches.
    Scratches?

So I guess a compliment to the thread would be the type of utensils used on various pans.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Prefer wood or bamboo utensils for all types of pans. Can't stand silicone, just feels weird. Have metal and plastic spatulas, but don't need them often.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Prefer wood or bamboo utensils for all types of pans.
    Any concern of bacterial absorption and cross contamination?

Originally posted by Royle9
    Best Pan I've found - Nothing sticks

Heritage The Rock Non-Stick Frypan, 12-in

Picked it up at C-Tire around xmas, its my go to for everything now.
    I have heard that they start to get sticky after about 6 months of use.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by sputnik

I have heard that they start to get sticky after about 6 months of use.
    We've had ours for at least 2 years, used basically every day, no complaints about food sticking.

My Ride
    R50

My biggest gripe about non-sticks is not food sticking it's warping. From thin T-Fals to thick Calphalons, the base keeps bending so it can't sit flat.

And I'm only using it for eggs, I use stainless 98% of the time and they are still as good as new.

Might be best to buy the cheapest non-sticks and toss as needed.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by suntan
    They say they're preseasoned but according to Cooks' Illustrated they find it's not enough seasoning, so they recommend you season it yourself too.
    Given taemo's experience as well, that sounds good.

I wonder if just using it more often or doing a couple rounds of vegetable oil + baking would expedite the process.

This might be a stupid question regarding cast iron but I'll ask anyways since I'm curious lol.....

Once a cast iron skillet gets seasoned really well, do I need to keep adding oil/butter while cooking? Or does it ever reach a point where it's no longer required?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    SRT4- TOYOTA VENZA- CIVIC SIR

Saladmaster ftw
    63_TUNERS

Given taemo's experience as well, that sounds good.

I wonder if just using it more often or doing a couple rounds of vegetable oil + baking would expedite the process.

This might be a stupid question regarding cast iron but I'll ask anyways since I'm curious lol.....

Once a cast iron skillet gets seasoned really well, do I need to keep adding oil/butter while cooking? Or does it ever reach a point where it's no longer required?
    With this method you may not need oil to fry eggs on it.

From Cooks Illustrated:

We'd seasoned our cast iron the same way for years. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued.

For years we’ve seasoned cast-iron cookware in the test kitchen by placing it over medium heat and wiping out the pan with coats of vegetable oil until its surface turns dark and shiny. When a pan starts to look patchy, we simply repeat the process. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued. Developed by blogger Sheryl Canter, the approach calls for treating the pan with multiple coats of flaxseed oil between hour-long stints in the oven.

We carried out Canter’s approach on new, unseasoned cast-iron skillets and compared them with pans treated with vegetable oil—and the results amazed us. The flaxseed oil so effectively bonded to the skillets, forming a sheer, stick-resistant veneer, that even a run through our commercial dishwasher with a squirt of degreaser left them totally unscathed. But the vegetable oil-treated skillets showed rusty spots and patchiness when they emerged from the dishwasher, requiring reseasoning before use.

Why did the new treatment work so well? Flaxseed oil is the food-grade equivalent of linseed oil, used by artists to give their paintings a hard, polished finish, and it boasts six times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids as vegetable oil. Over prolonged exposure to high heat, these fatty acids combine to form a strong, solid matrix that polymerizes to the pan’s surface.

Although lengthy, seasoning with flaxseed oil is a mainly hands-off undertaking. We highly recommend the treatment:

1. Warm an unseasoned pan (either new or stripped of seasoning*) for 15 minutes in a 200-degree oven to open its pores.

2. Remove the pan from the oven. Place 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil in the pan and, using tongs, rub the oil into the surface with paper towels. With fresh paper towels, thoroughly wipe out the pan to remove excess oil.

3. Place the oiled pan upside down in a cold oven, then set the oven to its maximum baking temperature. Once the oven reaches its maximum temperature, heat the pan for one hour. Turn off the oven; cool the pan in the oven for at least two hours.

4. Repeat the process five more times, or until the pan develops a dark, semi-matte surface.

*The best way to strip a cast-iron pan of seasoning is to run the pan through your oven's self-cleaning cycle.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by WhippWhapp
    All clad stainless- bring pan to right temp(a bead of water should dance around the pan), add oil, then food... food doesn't stick.

People make the mistake of having the pan too cold or hot or adding food to hot oil.

Hot pan/cold oil= no stick.
    Holy shit, this was a game changer. I have a stainless clad Lagostina frying pan that wasn't exactly cheap but I assumed it was a piece of shit because food ALWAYS stuck to it. Turns out I was using it wrong. I tried this method tonight for eggs and although it was a little smokey (I used butter instead of oil) it worked perfectly.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Originally posted by schurchill39

Holy shit, this was a game changer. I have a stainless clad Lagostina frying pan that wasn't exactly cheap but I assumed it was a piece of shit because food ALWAYS stuck to it. Turns out I was using it wrong. I tried this method tonight for eggs and although it was a little smokey (I used butter instead of oil) it worked perfectly.

Thanks!
    You are welcome!

One other thing to watch for is not to add too much food at once, you'll take heat out of the pan and drop it enough that food will start sticking.
    Last edited by WhippWhapp; 01-09-2016 at 07:01 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Currently using the Green Pan Non-Stick I got from Costco. Shit's legit
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Pretty random to see this thread today as i saw an infomercial tonight for a frying pan that wont stick. They show them using utensils and a mixer in the pan itself with a money back guarantee.

It actually had me wanting to order one.

https://www.gothamsteel.com/

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Seth1968

Scratches?

So I guess a compliment to the thread would be the type of utensils used on various pans.
    Bamboo and plastic both scratches over time. Especially you do stir fry. So it's just cheaper to change it out.

Wood look horrible after a month or two.

This is my work horse since I stir fry a lot:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/kitche...ontent=Default

Only $22 when it goes on sale. I loaded up 3-4 every time it does and last me about 1 to 1.5 years. Unfortunately, exchange warranty doesn't cover fine hair scratches.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-10-2016 at 11:41 AM.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

does no one use a wok to fry things? i have mine well seasoned and never have anything stick. a straight up carbon steel wok, just have to make sure you wash(no soap) and dry immediately after (prevent rust) and its perfect.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Wok no work for pork chops or over easy eggs mang.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJKDD6E7M0

TLDR:

Non-stick coatings do not last forever, all pans at some point will need to be replaced.

AllClad brand if you're willing to pay more and are OK with using their lifetime warranty to replace.

TFAL Professional if you're on a budget and don't mind buying another pan a few years later.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast