Quantcast
Incoming pilot project to take aim at speeding rates on QEII/major highways. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Incoming pilot project to take aim at speeding rates on QEII/major highways.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Incoming pilot project to take aim at speeding rates on QEII/major highways.

Just a heads up.

A two-phase pilot project to reduce the overall average speed on the QEII Hwy and other major transportation corridors in Alberta is planned for April and May.

Alberta Traffic Services said in a release on Tuesday that speeding in the province’s rural and urban centres continues to be a problem. Between 2009 and 2014, speed was a factor in 16 per cent of the total 6,351 fatal and serious injury collisions reported in Alberta RCMP jurisdictions.

“Even the best of drivers won’t be able to react to potential hazards on the road when travelling at higher speeds. Drivers need to respect the speed limits, and drive according to traffic and weather conditions to make sure everyone gets home safely,” said RCMP Inspector Steve Daley, Acting Officer-in-Charge of Alberta Traffic Services.

Speeding is not only driving at speeds beyond the posted limits, but also includes driving too fast for weather and traffic conditions. The World Health Organization states that speeds just 5 km/h above average in 60 km/h urban areas and 10 km/h above average in rural areas are sufficient to double the risk of a collision.

Select units from Alberta RCMP Traffic Services will participate in the pilot project. It examines different combinations of deployment strategies: visible enforcement and media coverage, and their impact on reducing overall average speed on identified sections of highways.

During the first phase in April, Alberta RCMP Traffic Services in collaboration with Alberta Transportation, will display speed-related safety messages on reader boards at pre-determined locations on Alberta highways from late March to early April. The messages will be supported by enforcement.

Speed-related data will be collected at several highway locations before, during and after the project to see if there was a reduction in overall average speed and when these reductions occurred. Details of phase two of the project will follow in April.
    http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/...erta-highways/
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If this enforcement is targeted to high collision areas or areas inside towns (like leduc and red deer), I'm cool with it. If it's just put in areas that are easy to "cherry pick" then I'm against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Our hard one for speeding is so stupid.

16% = 1,000.

That's 200 per year in that period. Beans.

Texting, idiot driving, impatient driving, lack of knowledge and ignorance was the other 84%.

If you have driven in the United States, you will know that the speed is SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

For example, Montana. 130 KPH is the limit for what Alberta deems DANGEROUS (120, 10 over.)

I've gone shooting by an officer at 10MPH over, which is 16 KPH. 146 KPH no big deal to them.

Officers will pull you over for 10KPH, which is 6 mph. It's so fucking laughable.

Anyways, rant over. Enjoy your day.

My Ride
    ute

I think average speed cameras are in our future.

Quick side note: Are those photo radar vans/trucks/explorers you see parked on places like Memorial etc, real cops?

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Originally posted by snowcat

16% = 1,000.

Texting, idiot driving, impatient driving, lack of knowledge and ignorance was the other 84%.

If you have driven in the United States, you will know that the speed is SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

For example, Montana. 130 KPH is the limit for what Alberta deems DANGEROUS (120, 10 over.)

I've gone shooting by an officer at 10MPH over, which is 16 KPH. 146 KPH no big deal to them.

Officers will pull you over for 10KPH, which is 6 mph. It's so fucking laughable.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    If it's just put in areas that are easy to "cherry pick" then I'm against it.
    I wonder where they'll locate them... hmmmmm?

My Ride
    Grimace

That is so weird. If the average speed of drivers is above the speed limit, it is the drivers that need to change not the speed limit.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    Quick side note: Are those photo radar vans/trucks/explorers you see parked on places like Memorial etc, real cops?
    nope
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Fucking nanny state

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Buster
    I think average speed cameras are in our future.
    Welcome to Britain where they have cameras everywhere... or 1984

Originally posted by snowcat

16% = 1,000.

Couldn't agree more. I highly doubt speed alone caused 16% of the accidents, they just played a role.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

What's an average speed camera??

will display speed-related safety messages on reader boards at pre-determined locations on Alberta highways from late March to early April.
    So they're gonna be increasing distracted driving now because people are going to be squinting their eyes to try and read some message that says "speeding kills. do not speed" ... What the f*ck kind of logic is this?

I'm speechless at how dumb this actually sounds. People speed so we're going to throw up a bunch signs for people to read while they drive to scare them into not speeding. Then you have someone new to the city see this and slam on their brakes to read it thinking it's something of importance then boom.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

to be fair the QE2 is a shitty road that is prone to some literally world famous poor conditions for large parts of the year

but instead of flashing generic messages at regular intervals along the highway, they should remind or better yet WARN moron drivers of bad conditions ahead. so many times I've driven into sudden zero visibility, glare ice highways having no idea what I was in for.. and then you watch people come flying into the fog behind you and just hope that everybody stops in time, or manages to thread the needle or hit the ditch. with a warning sign I'd take an offramp and start threading through range and township roads just to avoid the inevitable clusterfuck ahead and ensure my and my passenger's safety

then open it up to 120km/h posted, 130km/h allowed in clear weather
    Last edited by b_t; 03-21-2017 at 01:17 PM.

My take away from this article is that an incredibly low number of accidents are speed related, given that literally everyone speeds on the QEII. Sounds like it's one of the safer roads. On top of that, you know their "speeding was a factor" number is massively padded like it always is.

Their data collection project is also just for optics, since any reasonable person already knows the results are already decided.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

This is such a fucking load of nanny state crap. Here is a fact... all of our speed limits are at least 15-40km/h below where they should be. If they actually used proper scientific methods to determine speed, it would be faster, and there would be less accidents.

Fuck the WHO
    If you read what the WHO said, they are referring to the variation of speed from the average, not as compared to the speed limit. What has been proposed in some jurisdictions is that if the speed limit was raised you would actually reduce the number of people who deviate significantly from the average and hence reduce collision rates. This was part of the discussion in BC when they raised some of their limits, in which case I'd say thanking the WHO would be the way to go.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Meanwhile in BC they are finding collisions are reduced by increasing the speed limit ... same as down in the USA. We are still in the bush leagues here in Alberta.

BTW, I agree that if given that you are in a collision, that 10 kph higher speed will produce a bigger impact. That is pure physics.

However, what about preventing the collision in the first place!? Would that not be a better strategy?

Oh, wait ... the NDP is looking for more taxes/revenue ...
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by reijo
    Oh, wait ... the NDP is looking for more taxes/revenue ...
    Bingo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast