Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > A Californian's Guide to Southern California

Author
Thread
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

What I drive: changes every year
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (29)
User Rating: 90%

quote:

Well it's official I'm going to disneyland with the wife and kid in September. We are staying a block away from disney but we are getting a car because who knows where we might end up.

That being said, I've never been to LA so I want to know a good beach that's close and good shopping that's close. What and where to avoid at any time of the day. I'm going to try and see if I can swing some sort of car show while I'm there as well.

We still need to get disney passes but are unsure if we want a park hopper or not because we aren't going to sea world and we probably plan on being at one place each day.

If I'm. ring here, let me know or f there are there suggestions I'm open.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-23-2016 03:29 AM
03ozwhip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 03ozwhip Click here to Send 03ozwhip a Private Message Find more posts by 03ozwhip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.98
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

That's going to be slightly cold. September is Autumn.

Old Post 05-23-2016 06:35 AM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah
That's going to be slightly cold. September is Autumn.

Maybe for locals lol 31 is the average high there at that time as far as I can tell. I'm going beginning September.

Old Post 05-23-2016 01:05 PM
03ozwhip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 03ozwhip Click here to Send 03ozwhip a Private Message Find more posts by 03ozwhip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blairtruck
First Gear

What I drive: Ford
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
Well it's official I'm going to disneyland with the wife and kid in September. We are staying a block away from disney but we are getting a car because who knows where we might end up.

That being said, I've never been to LA so I want to know a good beach that's close and good shopping that's close. What and where to avoid at any time of the day. I'm going to try and see if I can swing some sort of car show while I'm there as well.

We still need to get disney passes but are unsure if we want a park hopper or not because we aren't going to sea world and we probably plan on being at one place each day.

If I'm. ring here, let me know or f there are there suggestions I'm open.

we are going in December for the first time. we dont like it hot. so hopefully it works out for us.

Old Post 05-23-2016 03:51 PM
blairtruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blairtruck Click here to Send blairtruck a Private Message Find more posts by blairtruck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Shopping would be premium outlets. If wife wants to relive Pretty Woman, Rodeo Drive.

As for the passes, go early but the fastpass does make a slight difference. Disneyland with California Adventure are huge. 1 day per park is a rush job but doable.

Have fun!

Old Post 05-23-2016 04:05 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

quote:

What I meant by 1 day is they have the 3 day park hopper passes. Not sure if I should get one of those or separate passes. I don't know anything about disneyland lol

Old Post 05-23-2016 04:39 PM
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Ohhh! Disneyland is the old school vibe and loving your inner childhood. California Adventure are more for teens looking to get adrenaline fix. That's how I'd separate it.

Old Post 05-23-2016 04:51 PM
Clever
First Gear

What I drive: Hemi's only
Posts/Day: 0.15
User Rating: 99%

quote:

If you have a Costco membership check out their California pass, it inlcudes Disneyland and California adventure, universal studios and seaworld. As for beaches, Venice Beach is cool to check out but if you are planning to stay and chill at the beach I would recommend Huntington and Newport Beach instead.

Old Post 05-24-2016 05:52 AM
Clever is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clever Click here to Send Clever a Private Message Find more posts by Clever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Laguna Beach is a dump. Don't bother. Nothing like on TV.

Old Post 05-24-2016 05:58 AM
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

quote:

going in 2 weeks. where's a good place to rent a car? I was just going to do Expedia...have to pick it up at LAX.

Old Post 08-15-2016 01:11 AM
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

Long Beach Aquarium, now called Aquarium of the Pacific. They used to have a great touch tank there.

Old Post 08-15-2016 02:05 AM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

going in 2 weeks. where's a good place to rent a car? I was just going to do Expedia...have to pick it up at LAX.

Budget had good selection of cars. Line sucked though.

Old Post 08-15-2016 03:41 AM
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.24
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Doesn't matter which company you choose, you will take a shuttle bus to the car rental location. A PITA.

I'm probably wrong about this, because it's been a while, but I think it's National where you just check in and then go out a take a car out in the lot. No real waiting.

Protip with using CC at gas stations: Use only the numbers in your postal code preceded with filler zeros as the zip code. (e.g. T4G 9E5 = 00495).

Old Post 08-15-2016 04:57 AM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OU812
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
User Rating: 99%

quote:

i thought the 00 came at the end??? ie 49500??

Old Post 08-15-2016 05:09 AM
OU812 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OU812 Click here to Send OU812 a Private Message Find more posts by OU812 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by suntan
Doesn't matter which company you choose, you will take a shuttle bus to the car rental location. A PITA.

I'm probably wrong about this, because it's been a while, but I think it's National where you just check in and then go out a take a car out in the lot. No real waiting.

Protip with using CC at gas stations: Use only the numbers in your postal code preceded with filler zeros as the zip code. (e.g. T4G 9E5 = 00495).

Ive never used a cc in the states, let alone filled up my own car in the states, I don't know what this is about....

Old Post 08-15-2016 05:21 AM
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by OU812
i thought the 00 came at the end??? ie 49500??

lol, I can't remember. Too lazy to look up.

Old Post 08-15-2016 05:58 AM
suntan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for suntan Click here to Send suntan a Private Message Find more posts by suntan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (40)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

All the rental companies are about the same, unless you're part of the loyalty program with one or another. Except I'm still a bit skeptical of some of the smaller/newer names like Fox and Advantage though.

Check out costco.ca under travel (if you're a costco member), autoslash.com, and hotwire.com to compare rates.

Ive never used a cc in the states, let alone filled up my own car in the states, I don't know what this is about....

Don't you fill up your rental car when you're done? In the states, most (if not all) gas stations are prepay - so you either use a credit card at the pump or you have to go in. If you're paying with cash, you have to go in and leave money, fill up, and go back in to get the change - much easier just to use a CC.

When you use a CC at the pump, it requires your zip code for authentication. So as a Canadian, enter the 3 numerical digits in your postal code, followed by '00'.

Originally posted by max_boost
Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Last edited by Strider on 08-15-2016 at 03:54 PM

Old Post 08-15-2016 03:50 PM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
suntan
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

Yeah he's going to be in for a surprise...

Old Post 08-15-2016 04:56 PM
03ozwhip
Fourth Gear

quote:

lol this will be the second time I've rented a car in the US, the last time I just paid with cash. I'll remember that, thanks for the tip.

Old Post 08-15-2016 04:59 PM
The time now is 02:53 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Travel and Vacation > A Californian's Guide to Southern California

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: