Quantcast
New York - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New York

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by Xtrema

Lol. Btw, how far is Queens to midtown? Probably going to rent a condo for a week this time.
    Queens is quite large. As long as you are on a subway line halfway into Queens, it should be about 30mins to the city, and 45mins to Times Square/34th Street.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 05:28 AM.

Originally posted by davidI
    after the game I was relegated to an air mattress by my hostess,
    told you not to cheap on shoes...

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Not sure if anyone mentioned.

Check out Ninja Sushi, it's awesome!

From my experience, you don't really need a cab, but it's nice once in awhile. I used the Subway almost everyday. And I also liked walking in NYC, so it wasn't too bad. I walked from MSG to the Met Museum (hella far, but I didn't mind)

You could also rent bikes in Central Park and ride that for a day, which is kinda fun on a Sunday or something. I also enjoyed walking around NoHo and SoHo. I'm a huge sneaker enthusiast, so this was my favorite place for shopping.

Comedy Cellar, as 01RedDX mentioned, is a great place if you're a fan of stand up. You can catch a bunch of famous/semi-famous Boston/NY-style comics from time to time.

You can also try the Manhatten and BK tour bus. You get a 3-4 day pass and the tour also doubles as transportation as you can hop on and off the bus whenever you like, as opposed to Public Tans Subway/Bus/Cab.

And you gotta try Grimaldi's Pizza in BK. Best pizza ever. They only sell by the pie, not slice though, but worth it.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by dangleberries
    told you not to cheap on shoes...
    Don't worry, the rest of the nights were great

Hit a Yankees game last night. Baseball isn't really my sport but it was still fun.

Checked out the Natural History Museum and USS Intrepid as well. I've seen a lot of museums similar to the Natural History one so it wasn't all that impressive to me, but the USS Intrepid was pretty neat.

All-in-all, NYC was a pleasant surprise and a place I will definitely return to, and would even consider living in!

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by davidI
    would even consider living in!
    Its a great place to live before settling down for family life. Been here 2.5 yrs and still no where near done checking out all the city has to offer.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Originally posted by Godfuader

Its a great place to live before settling down for family life. Been here 2.5 yrs and still no where near done checking out all the city has to offer.
    What does NYC offer in terms of living? Cost of life? Quality? Kind of jobs?

I'm curious, I would consider living there as well for a little bit, but I doubt I'd find anything in O&G. Haha.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by JordanEG6

What does NYC offer in terms of living? Cost of life? Quality? Kind of jobs?

I'm curious, I would consider living there as well for a little bit, but I doubt I'd find anything in O&G. Haha.
    Cost of living is quite high. Studio in a decent area is around $2100, 1br is around $2700. Of course this can vary significantly with location and borough. The quality of life is good if you don't have very high demands. It is a busy city with a lot of things happening. There can never be a dull moment. It can be as hectic or chill as you want it to be. The onlyl adjustment is that you cannot drive everywhere. All excursions have to be according to a subway schedule or paying for cabs.

Jobs: NY is the financial capital of the planet. Almost all industries have ties to NY. For O&G you will companies that trade, companies that need expertise, basically the white collar for O&G at the highest level will be here. Keep in mind that NJ has a lot of companies that may require your skill set.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I was wondering when I should buy flights + hotel if I'm planning to go during Sept. long weekend?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Have been doing a lot of googling on things to do and see.

But what's the cheapest way to get from La Guardia to Manhattan (Manhattan Club specifically)? Public transit? Assuming I can use the week-long metro pass for this service?

Also for anyone wondering, you can buy City Pass on airmiles for 1025 miles. Considering the exchange rate and the price (~$140 CDN) it works out pretty well.

Also, I'm pretty keen on a couple things. Book of Mormon and a Yankees game. We're there middle of August. GF is saying there are cheap-ticket booths around town that we can pick up for BoM but it seems very popular and I don't wanna miss it. Is this something that commonly sells out? Likewise for a Yankees game, is it best to book in advance or while we're there? Both of which we don't need amazing seats for.
    Last edited by msommers; 04-22-2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:51 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

LaGuardia to Manhattan is around $35-40 IIRC.
    my plan when we go there next is to take a cab to the nearest Metro station (Astoria-Ditmars Blvd N,Q), buy a weekly metro card and take the subway from there.
    There's a N,Q,R stop on 57st - 7ave right where Manhattan Club is, 8th stop from Astoria Ditmars Blvd.

I bought my BoM tickets 2 weeks ago for May 8 showing, it was $199 per person (about 260cad) and it was still pretty decent seats (blue box on the picture), expect $300+ for the middle/premium seats

my buddy told me that there's an option for stand in at the door, cheaper but you'll have to stand at the back of the wall.
    if you really want to see the show, I wouldn't risk it and buy the ticket in advance, but if you're flexible then go to the booth

edit: hey matt, if you go to this one, let me know how it is.
    bummed that it won't be open until end of May
    https://oneworldobservatory.com/
    Last edited by taemo; 04-28-2015 at 10:01 AM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Here's some stuff that I remember from our trip over the weekend.

The 7 days metro card is $32, get it if you plan on taking the subway/bus more than 4 times a day (you will), a single ride is $2.75 so you'll break even after 11.

I don't know if you can buy the MTA cards at the airport but you can take the following buses that will drop you to the a subway stop (about $15 taxi ride plus tip)
    M60 to Astoria Blvd
    Q70 to Woodside
    Q72 to Junction Blvd
    Q48 to Flushing Main St.

I think Astoria Ditmars Blvd is the cheapest taxi route, then hop on the N or Q train that will drop you off right on 57st-7th ave.

We booked a 3 hours bike tour in Central Park from here, it was $18 per person and still felt it wasn't enough time. I would go 4-5 hours next time. Basket and locks are included with the cost.

Top of the Rock IMO has the better view compared to ESB, a single pass is $30 and it can take 15-30min to get to the top due to line and security check
    I find the best time to go is one hour before sunset, that way you can enjoy the view in both daylight and night. Also once you get to the top, keep going straight to the escalator and then stairs, better more open view up top without glasses. tripod is not allowed unless you have tiny ones (bought one on B&H but then returned it the next day since I didn't like it
    )

I enjoyed chilling in Bryants Park and there was a free photography exhibition at the NY Public Library where I saw some of Ansel Adams print

B&H is 2 blocks from Madison Square Garden

We went for some beer and sausage at Radegast Hall & Biergarten and it was awesome, gets pretty packed after 7pm, pretty awesome sausage and sauerkraut and ended up chatting 2 photographers in there.

For awesome BBQ our local buddy told us about Arrogant Swine but unfortunately they are closed on Mondays

Cool neighborhoods outside of Manhattan that we visited and enjoyed were Williamsburg, Dumbo and Woodside (Filipino town in NYC)

BTW I don't recall when you're going to NYC in August again but you can get to the crown of the Statue of Liberty starting end of August
    http://www.statuecruises.com/choose_tickets.aspx
    Last edited by taemo; 05-13-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Bump

Heading there in Feb, any must eat places?

My Ride
    M3P

Here's a couple for you:

Fuku - Fried Chicken Sandwich
    Ippudoo - Ramen
    Joe's Pizza - quick/inexspensive slice
    Katz Deli - Incredible Smoked Meat
    Baohaus - Best Pork Belly Bao I've had
    Artichoke Pizza - Interesting Pizza
    Ainsworth - Mac & Cheese Burger
    Ichicran in BK - Have only been in Japan but worth it
    Di Fara in BK - Excellent
    Halal Guys 53rd and 6 - Quintessential (easy on the red stuff)
    Joe's Shanghai for XLB (haven't had but heard its incredible)
    Last edited by hurrdurr; 12-15-2016 at 10:58 AM.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    Here's a couple for you:

Fuku - Fried Chicken Sandwich
    Ippudoo - Ramen
    Joe's Pizza - quick/inexspensive slice
    Katz Deli - Incredible Smoked Meat
    Baohaus - Best Pork Belly Bao I've had
    Artichoke Pizza - Interesting Pizza
    Ainsworth - Mac & Cheese Burger
    Ichicran in BK - Have only been in Japan but worth it
    Di Fara in BK - Excellent
    Halal Guys 53rd and 6 - Quintessential (easy on the red stuff)
    Joe's Shanghai for XLB (haven't had but heard its incredible)
    Just found this thread, I am heading there tomorrow! Will look into these places.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

If you want pizza in New York, I'd check out NY Pizza Suprema across the street from MSG. It was so good, I ordered more slices of pizza I would not have otherwise tried anywhere else.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Originally posted by hurrdurr
    Here's a couple for you:

Katz Deli - Incredible Smoked Meat - SO GOOD. Make the trip.
    Halal Guys 53rd and 6 - Quintessential (easy on the red stuff) - Take it real easy on the stuff haha.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn. Long wait but worth it. They sell by the pie from what I remember.

Joe's Pizza (Cheese) in Union Square and Prince Street Pizza (Sicilian square) are

Cafe Habana is delicious too. Try the corn!
    Last edited by bleu; 12-18-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast