Quantcast
2017 Golf Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Default 2017 Golf Thread

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm itching to play some real golf. I've played a couple times on the sim this winter and been to the dome as well, but it's just not the same. This must be what Tiger feels like, sitting out all those weeks. But he's back in action this week at Torrey Pines.

What are everyone goals this year? Mine should have been to not buy new gear this year, but I didn't even last 3 weeks thanks to cjblair. Instead, I'm hoping to get myself down to 2-3 index and keep it there. I'd love to get down to scratch, but 5-6 strokes off my index in one year is wishful thinking.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I'm feeling it too, took on a designate assignment at valley ridge for '17 so I'm going for it this year. I'm cheap af when it comes to deciding on a day to day basis (also lazy) so now I'm good to go for the season. Can't take much vacation this spring/fall so I should get plenty of use. Hoping to get some regular rounds in after work as much as possible.

Gunna head to the dome on Thursday to see how bad I am coming into things. Goal is below 100 consistently and mid-low90's if possible. Sounds modest but my best rounds last year were ~103.

Equipment wise I need a new wood. Maybe another wedge if I manage to work my current one properly into my game.

Stoked!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by killramos
    took on a designate assignment at valley ridge for '17
    What did you pay? I might take one on as well, or be an annual somewhere. Got till March 1st before I need to decide, as that's when my VIPGolf membership because non refundable.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

3200, the whole designate thing works out nicely as I get full equity privileges (extra day to book versus annual etc) without paying the equity. Lots of people out there who aren't able to unload their memberships that doing a designate is a good option for the year.

It's worth a call to the membership coordinator of any club to see what the status of their membership is.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-23-2017 at 10:37 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

That's not a bad price, but there's a lot of other courses I'd rather play than Valley Ridge for that money. Plus, for a guy that shoots around 100, I hope you have a shitload of balls or don't care what kind of ball you play, because you are going to lose a ton playing there 30-50 times a year! That course is fairly tight and there's a potential to lose a ball on nearly every hole.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haha I played like 60% of my rounds last year at VR, I know what I am getting into. My father in law plays there as well so that was a pretty big factor in my decision. I picked up the designate from an old friend of his who moved. I like the course, and don't disagree with you that there are better places to play the stars just kindof aligned on this. I also like that its very doable to get to from DT after work.

As for balls, I play HX Bite's. Does that answer your question? Makes me work on my discipline haha.

In the scope of my game balls could not make an ounce of difference. Maybe by the end of the year haha.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-24-2017 at 08:05 AM.

fact.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

I'm going crazy too, man. Playing WGT on the iPad constantly, Golf Channel is driving my family insane, reading Zen Golf right now so I can mind control myself to greatness. ha ha

Doesn't help that a good friend is down in Scottsdale right now, playing Grayhawk today and tomorrow (and somewhere else Thursday!!). Lucky bastard.

Originally posted by killramos
    I'm cheap af when it comes to deciding on a day to day basis (also lazy) so now I'm good to go for the season. Can't take much vacation this spring/fall so I should get plenty of use. Hoping to get some regular rounds in after work as much as possible.
    This is me exactly. If I get a text from a buddy to go play 9 after supper, or do 18 some weekend, I'm always going back and forth on whether to spend the dough or not... a membership means you never really worry about that, and you'll go way more than paying green fees. Hell, I'd get bored late in the evening in the summer, and pop down just to play the first 6 holes if that's all the light there was.

Finally bought myself a laser rangefinder this Christmas, always wanted one of those...

Oh, goals... had an up and down year last year. Got consistently into the 80's for a while, even shot a pair of 77's which is my best score ever, and the only two times I broke 80 last year. Weird, I think my second best score last year was 82, and that was only once. Just got hot at moments during the season. Ended the year in the mid 90's though. My index was down to 10.6 at one point, ended the season at 13. I want that sonofabitch below 10.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by acedia

This is me exactly. If I get a text from a buddy to go play 9 after supper, or do 18 some weekend, I'm always going back and forth on whether to spend the dough or not... a membership means you never really worry about that, and you'll go way more than paying green fees. Hell, I'd get bored late in the evening in the summer, and pop down just to play the first 6 holes if that's all the light there was.
    Another big one for me is weather, if there is even a chance of it starting to pour halfway through the round I tend to write the day off because i don't want to waste the money. Even though in Calgary 9 times out of 10 its probably fine or rains for 5-10 minutes max during the round. Actually most people i golf with are even worse than me for that so it ruins alot of plans to play.

Membership worst case you just go get some lunch in the club house or go home wgaf.

fact.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

For sure, man. Are you thinking of going into the Men's League at all? I did last year for the first time ever, a little nervous but it ended up being tons of fun.

I also went into the club championships for the hell of it. It's flighted, so all kinds of skill levels in it. It was the first (official) competitive round I've ever done, and holy shit is it ever a different animal. Not that I'm a cheat by any means, but there's something about it being hardcore by the book, playing with people you don't know, and having to hole everything out. I wanted to throw up after 4 putting a greasy big breaking downhiller on one hole... ugh. Then there was my start... par, bogey, birdie, TEN ON A GODDAMNED PAR 4, par.

As bad as it was in spots, it was fun as hell, man. Good to put yourself into a pressure cooker once in a while to see how your spine holds up! ha ha

And yeah, with the weather, sometimes if it gets too rainy it's easy to call it quits. Or I'll walk out to spots on the fairway and work on some wedges, hit some different shots I don't get to play a bunch, not bothering to keep score or play the entire hole.
    Last edited by acedia; 01-24-2017 at 10:39 AM.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Hoping for a new set of clubs for this season, and to take some lessons as well. Learning and playing with friends was fun, but I think I'll enjoy it even more with some guided instruction.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by acedia
    For sure, man. Are you thinking of going into the Men's League at all? I did last year for the first time ever, a little nervous but it ended up being tons of fun.
    See my 103 average score above, me entering a league isn't fun for anyone.

If I get my act together i could see myself playing in a club tournament towards the end of the season but that's the extent of it.

I know my limits, I just like playing the game.

I have been making a push to keep pretty honest golf. 10 inch gimme's aside. I also started using my garmin to keep more accurate score so I can work on improvement. If you aren't honest you might as well not count score at all. Hopefully that mindset helps if i do a league in the future.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-24-2017 at 11:20 AM.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you need someone shitty to play with, it sounds like we have similar skill levels.

I golf so little that the one thing I try to work on is course management. I know I'm going to shit some shitty shots through the round, but I find it makes a big difference if I can at least play a bit smarter, which typically means laying up, aiming for the fat landing zones, working backwards from my comfortable wedge range for second shots etc.

I have a lot of areas I need to improve, but that's one I can do in my head each round, so I try to work on that.

If I don't just get drunk. I like drinking outdoors, so some days I just put the scorecard away and let loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

We will get out this summer for sure Mr. Slow

fact.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I haven't seen this before, but it's hilarious.

Happy Gilmore Reunion
    https://www.facebook.com/tony.skiens...53304158301414

I know it's FB, but it's the best quality version out there.

This year I need to take some lessons and play more.

Those are my goals.

Father-In-Law is retired and plans on golfing couple times a week. Cant be beat by him.

I just found out my client has a 5 bedroom condo in Phoenix that I can use, for free. With a private pool and use of a chevy tahoe and 2 bikes.... and we just booked a boys golfing trip in Calgary so its too late

cool story bro

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd like to be too busy to golf this year. Last year I was too broke to golf.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I joined Hamptons last year but barely played. Hoping to get the kids into it and get out more this year.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by B18C
    I joined Hamptons last year but barely played. Hoping to get the kids into it and get out more this year.
    I love the tee boxes at the Hamptons, they are so pillowy. They are better than some of the greens in Calgary Scoring is tough if you are not driving the ball straight.

I'm playing as someone's designate this year at Elbow, so I'm hoping to get in a ton of rounds. Picked up 15 dozen balls the other day, so I think the 20 dozen or so should last me a season...

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Originally posted by npham
    so I think the 20 dozen or so should last me a season...
    Well if u end up playing 80 rounds this year, you can loose a ball every 6 holes

I only bought 3 dozen custom Pro V1s so if any of you see one numbered #69 with CH on it in lime, black or blue send me a pm as I may need that ball back in September

Gleneagles is taking off some of its 79 tarps today. Paradise Canyon in Lehtbridge may be open March 24th. I expect TPC Fox Hollow to be open anyday

Any other opening news?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast