Quantcast
Japan floating debris to hit Canada soon. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Japan floating debris to hit Canada soon.

Default Japan floating debris to hit Canada soon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...p-cannons.html

The first things to arrive of course will be the all the lost ships.

"A U.S. Coast Guard cutter unleashed cannon fire on the abandoned 164-foot Ryou-Un Maru on Thursday, ending a journey that began when last year's tsunami dislodged it and set it adrift across the Pacific Ocean."

It may look like a rusty bucket to some, but that ship could easily be worth a million dollars if towable and/or salvageable.

On the off chance there are some larger or higher quality (nickel hulled) ships, salvage rights will be tested for sure. There might be a few $10 million ships floating our way.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Default Re: Japan floating debris to hit Canada soon.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    It may look like a rusty bucket to some, but that ship could easily be worth a million dollars if towable and/or salvageable.
    think about all the free shrimpin' boat gear that they could've salvaged too, maybe a shrimp boat captain's hat or something, with an emblem made of nickel...

i still think they should've sent something like this for an epic finish:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

but that mass of garbage is supposed to hit our coast next year or something i heard

My Ride
    W204

Well according to this, there's one ship in Japan with an NiCu clad hull:

http://www.copper.org/applications/cuni/txt_hulls.html

That should instantly give ZenOps a boner.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Free shipped Importz!

Originally posted by clem24
    Well according to this, there's one ship in Japan with an NiCu clad hull:

http://www.copper.org/applications/cuni/txt_hulls.html

That should instantly give ZenOps a boner.
    Nah, the only ship that does it for me is the USS Enterprise (the aircraft carrier, not the spaceship)

The hull is made of eight inches of alumimum or so, but the top harddeck which has to be both incredibly strong and heat resistant, is supposedly almost entirely nickel. Just the topping on that carrier could be well worth a few hundred million.

It always made sense to me: The US has a strategic petroleum reserve that they have thousands of military personelle to protect. The US also has a strategic nickel reserve built right into what is arguably the strongest military vessel the US has ever made - the aircraft carrier.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

2012: The year that you can trade in 7 grams of Iron (debased Toonie) and possibly get 181.6 grams of nickel or 648 grams of copper from *any* bank.

Interesting. What''s the relative precious-metal values?

My Ride
    My two feet.

RRRRRRR MATEYS!

I be setting up a crew of the most badass swash bucklers there be. We'll storm that there USS Enterprise and haul the treasure chest away (hard deck) for ourselves!

Seriously though, do people go hunting for these wrecks out on the ocean? Hoping to hit the "floating, abandoned" jackpot or what? Sounds like a pretty sweet retirement plan if ever I heard one... *rolls eyes*
    Breathe Parkour Magazine

Parkour - Not just a lifestyle, it's the breath in our lungs

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Mattloaf

Seriously though, do people go hunting for these wrecks out on the ocean? Hoping to hit the "floating, abandoned" jackpot or what? Sounds like a pretty sweet retirement plan if ever I heard one... *rolls eyes*
    If you read the article, a Canadian vessel actually did claim salvage rights to the ship before they blew it up. Delayed the process and probably cost the government a couple extra hundred grand.

Originally posted by LollerBrader
    Interesting. What''s the relative precious-metal values?
    What do you think I am, some sort of obsessive compulsive metals calculator?

Iron Ore is $150 per ton, Finished Steel $800 per ton, Copper $8,500 per ton, Nickel $19,000 per ton, Silver $900,000 per ton.

Ratio wise

Iron:Nickel 920:1
    Copper:Nickel 10:1
    Nickel:Silver 56:1
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

What do you think I am, some sort of obsessive compulsive metals calculator?

Iron Ore is $150 per ton, Finished Steel $800 per ton, Copper $8,500 per ton, Nickel $19,000 per ton, Silver $900,000 per ton.

Ratio wise

Iron:Nickel 920:1
    Copper:Nickel 10:1
    Nickel:Silver 56:1
    Interesting. It would be interesting to know the actual-precious-metals-value of our coinage vs face value...

My Ride
    W204

Interesting. It would be interesting to know the actual-precious-metals-value of our coinage vs face value...
    What's truly fucked up about that post is that it actually contains clear and factual information. Maybe ZenOps came down with something.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Someone already did it:

http://www.coinflation.com/canada/

Iron coinage - nickels, dimes, quarters after they year 2000 and loonies an toonies after the year 2012 are basically worthless. If you discount the tiny 2% coating which will eventually wear off anyhow, they are all worth less than a half a cent.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Someone already did it:

http://www.coinflation.com/canada/

Iron coinage - nickels, dimes, quarters after they year 2000 and loonies an toonies after the year 2012 are basically worthless. If you discount the tiny 2% coating which will eventually wear off anyhow, they are all worth less than a half a cent.
    That sucks. I guess I can put the pennies back in my kids piggy banks.

Absolutely.

Keep all your pre-1996 pennies for sure. That penny intrinsically worth much more than a 2012 toonie.

Copper and nickel haven't been used as money for maybe a 80 years or so, but it still is an excellent placeholder for stored value. If governments didn't think it had value, there would be no need to debase it to a lower value metal afterall.

Back in 1970, before Nixon - Nickel was used as money (the Canadian nickel dollar back then was also about over twice the weight of the loonie, 15.6 grams for the old one and 7 grams for the loonie) and a $100 box of nickels could buy 40 barrels of oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyageur_dollar

Most people from this generation have never seen a 1986 nickel dollar (the predecessor to the Loonie) because they were all hoarded long before they were born. The paper circulated, and then the loonie circulated in 1987, but nearly every single large nickel voyageur was hoarded that very year.

*cough* I'd even suggest going to the bank and withdrawing $10 worth of pennies per day for the next few months until they stop circulating the pennies. Why $10? because it seems that some banks have already set withdrawl limits on pennies.... They know the score.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-11-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

How about an entire Harley floating over to Canada?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...cle-owner.html

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

^Just read that article and you beat me to posting it

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by Maybelater
    ^Just read that article and you beat me to posting it
    I'm glad I didn't rely on just searching for 'Harley Davidson' before posting this, 'cause I would have failed.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It'll be a cool story if Harley does restore the bike and return it to him.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by lilmira
    It'll be a cool story if Harley does restore the bike and return it to him.
    Just taking a stab here, but how do you justify restoring a completely rusty/barnacled bike that's likely worth less than what it would cost to restore it? I think you'd have to replace every single piece on that bike, basically meaning it would be just like a brand new one. Was it a classic/long out of production bike or something? I think it's more a museum piece if it does get used.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by clem24

Just taking a stab here, but how do you justify restoring a completely rusty/barnacled bike that's likely worth less than what it would cost to restore it? I think you'd have to replace every single piece on that bike, basically meaning it would be just like a brand new one. Was it a classic/long out of production bike or something? I think it's more a museum piece if it does get used.
    Harley will use this "restoration" as a PR piece. Will cost them nothing, but they will get to say that their bike survived a Tsunami and an ocean voyage. Great publicity in a win-win situation.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast