Quantcast
P.Eng Application Question - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: P.Eng Application Question

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Basically, your goal is to get it to internal review as quick as possible. If your references haven't finished replying yet, it won't be in internal review and that will delay your process since that part is on your references to do and not APEGA.

The new website will not tell you what month you are being reviewed in. You simply have no idea and can only check the website on your status update as "complete" or "incomplete" in each respective stage.

After your references all replied and your coordinator acknowledges it, I believe it goes:
    Internal Review -> Experience Examiner (and/or Academic Examiner) -> Board Approval

Seems based on Xylathane it only takes a couple months if all your stuff is in order. It took my friends ~4 months after their references were acknowledged, so I would say APEGA's process has improved.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    I applied in the early June, received P.Eng early August. My references were quick to review and approve my experience record and it was in APEGAs review the following month.

I think they're really working to keep those times realistic...no more 8-month in process bullshit.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Basically, your goal is to get it to internal review as quick as possible. If your references haven't finished replying yet, it won't be in internal review and that will delay your process since that part is on your references to do and not APEGA.

The new website will not tell you what month you are being reviewed in. You simply have no idea and can only check the website on your status update as "complete" or "incomplete" in each respective stage.

After your references all replied and your coordinator acknowledges it, I believe it goes:
    Internal Review -> Experience Examiner (and/or Academic Examiner) -> Board Approval

Seems based on Xylathane it only takes a couple months if all your stuff is in order. It took my friends ~4 months after their references were acknowledged, so I would say APEGA's process has improved.
    That helps, thank you!

Originally posted by Disoblige

How long ago did you go through the process?

It most certainly has told me and my friends recently what month we were going to be reviewed in and almost all of us heard either yay/nay by the 10th of the next month.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by lasimmon

It most certainly has told me and my friends recently what month we were going to be reviewed in and almost all of us heard either yay/nay by the 10th of the next month.
    Friend of mine showed me his status as we chatted briefly about it.

Here's what it should look like with the new layout:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

There might be a field after that says it's for board review, but I'm not sure if it would say the actual date instead of just "In Progress".

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So I just started this along with a couple of Geo's from work. I was chatting with a buddy and he was saying to me that APEGA is now sitting at 6-9 months delay. One of the problems is that due to layoffs there are a lot of people trying to apply with references that have to be contacted by mail due to APEGA not accepting references with generic ( gmail, hotmail type) email addresses. So I decided to get my application in ASAP despite just squeaking in in terms of work experience requirements. I figure by the time they take 6 months to process the application it won't matter.

So to answer some questions about the current system if anyone is interested:

Once you start your application you have 90 days to complete it, it even tells you what date you need to submit the application by otherwise your application is deleted. You do NOT need to pay to start the application only to submit it. So if you are coming up on your time in the next month or 2 feel free to start your application so that you can work on it over time. I am personally finding the Work Experience Record to be very time consuming, good way to kill a few hours at work if you are bored. You can save it whenever and come back to it alter via the website. Kind of irritating to use but could be worse.

This applicant guide really spells it out nicely:
    https://www.apega.ca/assets/PDFs/applicant-guide.pdf
    It even has samples of the WER so in theory if you want to be a keen you can prepare those sections in word or something in advance and copy them in once you start the application.

One of the big things is the not accepting generic emails so make sure if your bosses have retired or are unemployed you get their home addresses for APEGA to contact them at.

As a note they are switching to a new system in the first few months of the new year. They will be doing competency based assessments. If your timing is coming up in the next few months its basically your choice as to which application you want to go with.

https://www.apega.ca/news/competency-based-assessments/

Personally I think the old system seems more general and puts the onus on them rather than you to determine whether your work experience meets their requirements for "engineering" work. Hence I have started my application using the old system rather than waiting until March. Fun fact is that Geo's don't have to do a competency assessment

I just want this to be over and get back to just giving them my money once a year to leave me alone.

edit: Yea even Apega is admitting your application is going to take literally forever to process.

DELAYS IN PROCESSING APPLICATIONS Jun 7, 2016
    In late 2015, the APEGA Registration Department was operating short staffed for a period due to unexpected staff departures. This unfortunately resulted in delays in the processing of applicant files. Replacement staff members were on-boarded in early 2016 and are working diligently to get through the delayed applicant files. If your file is presently in the Pre-Review, Review, or Examiner status, you may notice that your file is not progressing. These are the areas in which files are presently delayed and on which we are focused. We ask for your patience. We are sensitive to the state of both the economy and industry. Please know that APEGA staff and the Board of Examiners have a high commitment to ensuring application files are reviewed appropriately and in a timely manner. We are working as quickly as we can. The current expected timeline to complete an application is six to twelve months after all required documents are received by APEGA.
    Last edited by killramos; 11-30-2016 at 02:15 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by killramos
    So I just started this along with a couple of Geo's from work. I was chatting with a buddy and he was saying to me that APEGA is now sitting at 6-9 months delay.

edit: Yea even Apega is admitting your application is going to take literally forever to process.

Even 6-9 months is slightly optimistic. I submitted in January and it's still under review.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Even 6-9 months is slightly optimistic. I submitted in January and it's still under review.
    I did mine a year ago and it was 6 months at that time. And that was right in the middle of the time they said they it was 6-9 months. I keep hounding the wife to apply but she's really dragging ass on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Honestly there is nothing really on the table for me once I get mine so the delay doesn't really bother me. A buddy of mine is at a reserve auditor though and it makes a VERY material difference to his bottom line to be able to bill as a professional which really sucks.

Just makes them come off as even more of a joke than they already are.

My only hope is that they just start glossing over the experience requirements a bit in order to catch up but based on the delays continuing as long as they have I won't hold my breath.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    V8s

My only hope is that they just start glossing over the experience requirements a bit in order to catch up but based on the delays continuing as long as they have I won't hold my breath.
    You, my friend, are hilarious.

My application sat at the experience examiner stage for nearly 6 months. I followed up to the extent that I was speaking with the review board coordinators, and magically the week after that, my application was slated for review.

schurchill, I dunno if I have any specific useful advice, but tell your wife to stop dragging ass. Its not that hard to do, and it could take forever to get through all the approval stages. It sucks to be in a position where it would be very beneficial to you to have, but you know you have 6 months waiting time left, since your shit is only halfway to being approved. I know from experience.

If there was one thing I'd say to all the EITs, it's start this application as early as reasonably possible, and get it in the queue. Shit takes forever sometimes.

The real kicker is, my buddy submitted a month before me - his took 3 months, start to end. Mine took the better part of a year. fcking apega. They frustrate me to no end.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

They've caught up substantially. My coworker got her references in in September and this week moved to pending board approval so 2-3 month lead time now.

I did mine almost a year before her and ended up with my PEng 4 months earlier, silly system.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by cjblair

You, my friend, are hilarious.

It's weird, somehow I feel they are going to frown upon me counting sitting on beyond for 16 months arguing about whether or not Stephen Harper is a fascist as professional level engineering experience.

I wonder if "sat in my office filling out these stupid APEGA forms" counts?
    Last edited by killramos; 11-30-2016 at 05:11 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    V8s

It's weird, somehow I feel they are going to frown upon me counting sitting on beyond for 16 months arguing about whether or not Stephen Harper is a fascist as professional level engineering experience.

I wonder if "sat in my office filling out these stupid APEGA forms" counts?
    Depends if that was done under the supervision of a current professional member.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by cjblair

Depends if that was done under the supervision of a current professional member.
    Oh I'm solid then

fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So does anyone on here have any tips and tricks on how to make a business development role sounds like professional engineering experience?

Does Apega really give two shits about these stupid records? Or is it mostly about your references checking out?

Because of course the examples Apega likes to give are all about determining machinery specifications, material science selection, drawing creation. All that stereotypical engineering stuff that no one who works in O&G actually does.

Looking back on what I have actually done work wise over the past 12-24 months is depressing.

So jealous of my geo coworkers right now...

"I looked at logs and created thickness mapping for our plays, I then updated said maps using logs from new wells we drilled. Repeat

Every few weeks we went to the core lab to look at rocks as an excuse to drink beer on company time at lunch"
    Last edited by killramos; 12-01-2016 at 02:55 PM.

fact.

Depends. Did you create models and use specific quantitative measurement analytics in order to determine business units?

Does your work directly or loosely relate to your area of academic credential?

Did you have any involvement in project management?
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

At the end of the day economic models based on play/well performance and financial records. Statistical determination of well performance based on offsetting analogues and assesed risk.

Large scale scoping of potential acquisition targets based on production rates and cum potential across the WCSB. High grading for closer looks.

It's pretty loose stuff from an apega standpoint based on their criteria but we had a team of 3 engineers working on this and it was real work with real value.

I have a mechanical engineering degree.

Trying to describe this stuff the way they want I haven't spewed this much bs since high school English.

My reservoir engineering roles are solid from an apega standpoint, very science driven and describing multiphase fluid flow through porous media and productivity-pressure-time relationships.

It's my business development role that is the problem.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-01-2016 at 03:38 PM.

fact.

Pretty much the same boat I was in. Except I was working alone with no engineers on technical bid submissions. Electrical to boot. I'm a mechanical.

Ultimately they counted my experience at a 0.75 factor. I had to fight with the coordinator for another 1.5 years.

I ended up contracting with another electro mechanical firm on weekends under direct supervision for a year and a half. I had to get the contracting company to release me from their NC to get it done.

Speak with a coordinator asap. And ask your boss if he can give you supplementary work that is more technical in nature.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well I'm not doing business dev anymore which is good in that respect. Doing my super sciency job again (which I hate) but apega will eat it up, lots of correlations and theory to apply. Numerical simulations, calculations they love that. Never provided an ounce of value to the company but whatever. Those parts of my record (30/50 months) I am good. My summer student work (mechanical specs for pump selection and pump jack sizing etc. Which is another 8 months which I listed as 50% tech level due to being a student ) is good too. It's my last 12 months of business work that could hurt me. It's a job that ultimately only engineers do, but they will likely frown upon the "engineering" being done. Somehow i don't think they will consider exponential decay curve fitting and some statistical plots good enough for them

Whatever it's going to take them a year to look at my file anyways.

this is an ok example of the kind of work i was doing in a general sense:
    http://jobdescriptionandresumeexampl...ption-example/

At the end of the day one of the reasons I am so disappointed in my engineering degree is the simple fact that almost nothing i see any engineers doing in O&G for an E&P company really is engineering or do you need an engineering degree to do.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-01-2016 at 03:39 PM.

fact.

Considering I got 100% credit for a lot of my quasi "engineer" work I wouldn't be concerned.

My Ride
    TL

Have any of you got solid salary bumps or position bumps with your new P.Eng?

I'm currently working as an Estimator with not a single P.Eng in my department, but I hope to sell it as qualified work experience. I'm probably doing more related engineering work than my other two jobs that had engineering titles and supervisors

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast