Quantcast
A3/S3 European Refresh (8V) - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A3/S3 European Refresh (8V)

There's a guy on this forum that works at Glenmore. 852VR6, pm him. He is nice and helpful.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    NC1

Exciting! Congrats!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    GT TDi

i would get ceramics

the steel brakes warp prematurely, its been an ongoing problem since the first TTRS, they had a recall and no difference, ongoing problem in the current RS3's in europe if you read other forums, the discs are big but they are bidirectional (ttrs)

also anyone with an R considering upgrading their brakes to TTRS/RS3 bad idea lol

http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/dealer...-stikken-91309

also i dont like how the front wheels are wider than the rear ones, they should all be 9" around
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

No wonder the sales guy was pushing the ceramics. Fuck.

Thank you so much for the article. I guess I should try and reach out to a current owner and see whether anyone with a 16 and the ceramics had similar issues. Or how the regular brake problem was resolved (if).

But 6 grand for the fronts only... I guess I'm not getting wheels for it.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

You could always save the $6000 and upgrade to a big brake kit/ceramics instead.

I need to find out if it will affect my warranty. If it doesn't then I will go with an aftermarket solution.

Furthur research seems to point to the prebraking system and the pads being suspect.

Looks like some people are having success with different pads.

Join me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by bart

the steel brakes warp prematurely
    Are they ACTUALLY warping?

Many times people just say "rotors are warped" when its actually just uneven brake pad material buildup (probably the case in 90% of "rotor warp" claims).

This is also supported by the fact that changing brake pad materials/compound/brand fixes it. Doesn't matter what material the pads are, you need a certain amount of heat (friction) to stop a car from a given speed.

So yea, I'd "probably" save yourself $6k and just spend $100 on different pads

My Ride
    GT TDi

maybe

there was a recall for pads and discs later i had it done then someone bought my car, never found out

so replace the pads as soon as you get the car see what happens or doesnt happen haha
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

I'm not really excited to take a chance on ordering the car with shit brakes.

Looks like I can get brembo 8pots in the front 6 in the back installed with new rotors for 4k. So i know that option exists. No official word about warranty if I do it.

But the prebraking system causes the pads to deposit material on the rotors and over time (not a lot) cause vibration and heat.

Some guys said they replaced the pads and it was better. Others used pads and rotors. It looks like everyone who is affected (a lot) had to change things on their braking system and Audi hasn't officially changed anything, they just replace it all with the same faulty bits. They do only one replacement. So I might just pony up to the ceramics if they won't honor my warranty, which is looking increasingly slim as they haven't reached out to me with an official response, yet.

Join me.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by bart
    i would get ceramics

the steel brakes warp prematurely, its been an ongoing problem since the first TTRS, they had a recall and no difference, ongoing problem in the current RS3's in europe if you read other forums, the discs are big but they are bidirectional (ttrs)

also anyone with an R considering upgrading their brakes to TTRS/RS3 bad idea lol

http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/dealer...-stikken-91309

also i dont like how the front wheels are wider than the rear ones, they should all be 9" around
    Due to the added weight of the 5 cylinder engine they made the front tires wider to mitigate understeer.

My Ride
    GT TDi

what is the pre-braking system?

i know there was a software update that when it was raining the car would apply brakes every so often to keep the brakes "dry", i skipped this update

if it was really wet out and cold and you drove for a while on highway and slammed the brakes on nothing happened for almost a second, hence this update

mine was fine until the end i had a track day around 40k, the next day after that things were vibrating alot during braking, soon after pad lights came on etc, then i got the recall done and sold the car a week after

the upside with ceramics is less unsprung weight, and they last ~3 times what steel discs do dont they? so whatever i would do it
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Yeah, you pretty accurately described prebraking. The intention is to keep the surfaces clean and warm for when you do brake. No reported hesitation though. Just the pads depositing material to the rotors and causing them to heat cycle in an abnormal manner. The buildup is what caused the vibration among other rs3 owners. Or atleast that is the consensus. I'm quite disappointed that audi doesn't have a real fix for this yet. Considering thst the only fix seems to be to buy the wildly more expensive brakes.

I'm going to order the car with ceramics. Audi still hasn't confirmed that it won't void my warranty to install an aftermarket brake system. I don't want to take a chance with it.

Join me.

My Ride
    02 Jetta 1.8T

Looks like Audi finally fixed the understeer problem.

https://youtu.be/9GoAj7s2xNs

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Put a deposit down on the RS3 myself. No clue when l get it though. It's going to be tough timing selling my GTI privately, I don't want to be without a car too long but summer is the best time to sell it.
    Ara blue, exhaust, and the black wheels are my choice.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by nickyh
    Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Put a deposit down on the RS3 myself. No clue when l get it though. It's going to be tough timing selling my GTI privately, I don't want to be without a car too long but summer is the best time to sell it.
    Ara blue, exhaust, and the black wheels are my choice.
    Nice! The good reviews got me thinking but my will is strong so far.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 05:19 PM.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

10k for the TT RS over the RS3 is quite a bit. I much prefer the looks of the TT, but I'm not sure it's worth 10k to me if I was in that market. However, based on the reviews and the videos I've seen, the TT RS can embarrass a ton of cars from stop. So maybe it is? Probably not an Accord 6-6 though.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Originally posted by R154

I'm going to order the car with ceramics. Audi still hasn't confirmed that it won't void my warranty to install an aftermarket brake system. I don't want to take a chance with it.
    Just wondering where you are in the order bank? Do you have a commission # yet?

My Ride
    GT TDi

first tunes are coming out for the new ttrs/rs3. stage 1 on 93 is 500hp/500torqs LOLLL its so fast 5cyl ftw 10.9s 1/4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Now-Available!
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast