Quantcast
Insurance windshield/glass coverage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Insurance windshield/glass coverage

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Insurance windshield/glass coverage

I've always opted out of glass coverage but my vehicles has always just had standard cheap windshields (not heated or anything). Looking at over $1k for the Acura so I'm considering opting into glass coverage after I replace it.

Do your rates go up if you start making glass claims, most likely once a year?

Can you choose to go with OEM glass or will insurance only pay for non-oem replacement glass?

How big of a pain is the whole process, assume its an easy call/claim.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Interested as well. Have never had this, but never had a windshield last more than a year without getting major damage. Usually end up just driving with a cracked windshield unless it's right in front of the driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

New cars with rain sensors, collision detection cameras, etc can cost up to or more than $1000 to change so it's something to keep in mind when you purchase a new car with options like this. I got a big crack on my R's windshield and it's close to $1000 because the dealer has to recalibrate the camera. Fortunately I have a $250 deductible. You can try and cheap out and go to glass shops but I have seen several threads in forums where glass installers have messed up on the Golf R's with DAP so to me it's not worth it.

My Ride
    Silverado

typically OEM glass would not be used. But I would highly recommend the glass coverage if you have a panoramic sunroof.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

We're starting to see a FEW more people ask about glass coverage but it can still be cost prohibitive. As a general rule OEM will not be used if a less expensive alternate is available. So, my suggestion would be that when a dealership tells you that a new windshield is $1000, call one or two regular glass shops and see what they charge and then base your cost / benefit analysis on that number.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

How can the shops get away with non-OEM glass when it can severely affect safety features? Could you make a case for an OEM replacement through insurance with that train of thought or no? If not, might as well just pay out of pocket.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My car has all the bells and whistles in the windshield except for a HUD and it was ~650 bucks installed for Saint Gobain Sekurit glass (OE equivalent ) to replace mine last summer from Cal Alta.

1k+ sounds excessive. That's what the dealer was quoting me....

All my collision prevention cameras worked fine after the replacement.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    How can the shops get away with non-OEM glass when it can severely affect safety features? Could you make a case for an OEM replacement through insurance with that train of thought or no? If not, might as well just pay out of pocket.
    What makes you think that a non-OEM windshield is less safe? Now granted I don't work in the glass industry but I've always been told that there's only a handful of factories that spit out all the glass for OEM and non-OEM stock. Same stuff, different label.

Trust me, if there was ACTUALLY a liability risk for the insurance companies they wouldn't be agreeing to it.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

People use non OEM tires all the time and they are probably the most import safety feature on a vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

What makes you think that a non-OEM windshield is less safe? Now granted I don't work in the glass industry but I've always been told that there's only a handful of factories that spit out all the glass for OEM and non-OEM stock. Same stuff, different label.

Trust me, if there was ACTUALLY a liability risk for the insurance companies they wouldn't be agreeing to it.
    Just earlier comments about some third party windshields not playing nice with the safety tech like autonomous braking (which is usually handled by a camera and sensor array in the top part of the windshield). If it were just a normal windshield they yeah I doubt it matters, but with all the latest cars you would want to be 100% sure it had no adverse effect on the operation of the safety equipment.

For example:

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think a good example would be if there is a distortion or ripple in the glass over the camera. All the sudden the car might think you are outside of your lane or something and either correct or just start alarming at you. Could easily happen.

On the tire example; if your car comes with high performance tires and you go with some POS's instead. Car's electronics are calibrated for a certain level of grip and if all the sudden your braking distance goes up by 50% (example) then automatic braking systems or advanced ABS etc. won't work effectively and could easily lead to an accident.

I can see the argument for sure. i think the biggest thing is if you don't go OEM then make sure you are confident in the product you are buying.

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    LNF

We're starting to see a FEW more people ask about glass coverage but it can still be cost prohibitive. As a general rule OEM will not be used if a less expensive alternate is available. So, my suggestion would be that when a dealership tells you that a new windshield is $1000, call one or two regular glass shops and see what they charge and then base your cost / benefit analysis on that number.
    Another thing is that dealerships do not change windshields.. They just send them to shops to replace the glass. I worked at windshield surgeons in Edmonton when I was in high school and used to go pick up cars from every dealer in the west end. Volvo and BMW (certain models) would supply glass. Every other dealer used whatever glass we had.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I know there's been an issue with aftermarket glass for DAP VW's. There's a picture online of a glass shop that glued in the rain sensor with a massive blob of glue behind the sensor because the glass guides were off. Also it seems a lot of them break the clips on the plastic housing for the sensors. I would just rather a dealer do it as they will be used to taking off the parts and installing them correctly as opposed to a shop where they are working on all brands and you may get a guy that hasn't done a DAP car before. It seems when a glass shop screws up your DAP you are forced to pay $$$ to a dealer to fix it. Simply not worth the headache.
    Last edited by heavyD; 03-20-2017 at 03:29 PM.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    wat?

Glass is Glass. its all made by the same people. difference is the sticker on it.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Next time you're driving look beside you through other people's windshields from the side window an angle.
    Seems to me about 3 in 10 are wavy as shit.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ShermanEF9

wat?

Glass is Glass. its all made by the same people. difference is the sticker on it.
    No. OEM glass has better QA. Kind of like comparing a Nikon Lense vs a Tamron Lense. The chances you get a bad copy is higher with Tamron.

Same with windshield. I have seen really bad shit sometimes for what Cal Alta uses although I have lucked out the few times I used them or I simply don't care.

That's said, dealer quote always seems to be around $1000 for anything with HUD or rain sensors/cameras.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Originally posted by Xtrema

No. OEM glass has better QA. Kind of like comparing a Nikon Lense vs a Tamron Lense. The chances you get a bad copy is higher with Tamron.

Same with windshield. I have seen really bad shit sometimes for what Cal Alta uses although I have lucked out the few times I used them or I simply don't care.

That's said, dealer quote always seems to be around $1000 for anything with HUD or rain sensors/cameras.
    Obviously OEM will have a higher QA, and will be less tolerant of imperfections. i was arguing the case of safety. OEM glass vs aftermarket are both as safe as the other.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Originally posted by killramos
    My car has all the bells and whistles in the windshield except for a HUD and it was ~650 bucks installed for Saint Gobain Sekurit glass (OE equivalent ) to replace mine last summer from Cal Alta.

1k+ sounds excessive. That's what the dealer was quoting me....

All my collision prevention cameras worked fine after the replacement.
    I have 3 separate quotes for my windshield right now and the cheapest so far was $1500 with the most expensive being $1970 from the dealer.

I get additional 25% off from my business but still ends up being over $1000.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Do glass claims have any effect on your rates when its renewal time.

Really the glass coverage is only worth the added premium costs if you use it often (ever year or so).

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Do glass claims have any effect on your rates when its renewal time.

Really the glass coverage is only worth the added premium costs if you use it often (ever year or so).
    I'd like to know as well because I'm always under the impression that any claim (other than no-fault claims) will contribute to higher premiums because insurance is always looking to bend us over

I have a windshield that could use replacing.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 03-21-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast