Quantcast
Teaching English: Culture shock - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teaching English: Culture shock

Default Teaching English: Culture shock

this received much coverage in news yet i did not see it discussed here:

Teaching English: Culture shock

Like thousands of Canadians every year, Lindsey Craig moved overseas to teach English in Taiwan – but she’s the one who got some hard life-lessons

BY LINDSEY CRAIG, SPECIAL TO THE MONTREAL GAZETTE MARCH 8, 2011 4:48 PM COMMENTS (371)

STORYPHOTOS ( 3 )

More Images »

Like many Canadians, Lindsey Craig went to teach English in Taiwan. She got some hard life-lessons.
    Photograph by: Lindsey Craig, The Gazette
    Note to readers: To read Lindsey Craig's response to comments about this story, please click here. Gazette Life editor Evangeline Sadler shares her view here.

“To say I’m disoriented is an understatement. I don’t feel like I’m any part of this place – just looking in on a culture and people I don’t understand. The streets are crazy – if there are rules, no one follows them ... I haven’t seen one Caucasian female yet ... is there a reason? The pollution is worse than I expected. Imagine putting your head over a sewer on a really humid day and breathing in as deep as you can. That’s what it’s like here, everywhere, all day, all night ... Last night I met up with a giant black and orange beetle. Will I have to learn to live with all of this? I can’t even cross the street yet. How am I going to teach little kids?”

– MY FIRST EMAIL HOME FROM TAIWAN ON JAN. 11, 2005

Every year, thousands of Canadians head abroad to teach English.

In 2005, I was one of them. I lived in Taiwan for seven months – and it was the most difficult experience of my life.

Ross McBride, manager of Toronto’s ESL in Canada, estimates that 6,000 to 9,000 Canadians teach abroad every year. (The exact number is difficult to calculate, he said, since teachers can work without visas and many schools operate illegally.)

China and Taiwan are popular destinations, especially following the Chinese New Year in February, since that’s when many new jobs are available. That’s when I decided to go.

Like many others, I was attracted to teaching English overseas by the promise of adventure, and the chance to discover another people and culture. The added bonus of making money while doing so made it even more attractive.

The boyfriend I had at the time, Cliff, was also ready to board a plane with me. Taiwan looked like a promising destination.

For one, it was one of the few countries where teaching salaries were high and the cost of living low. And in addition to there being hundreds of jobs available, as native speakers with bachelor’s degrees, we qualified for most of them.

Taiwan also excited me since it seemed completely different from anything I’d ever experienced. The tiny island is part of the Republic of China, and home to 23 million people. In 2005, Taiwan’s population density was 630 people per square kilometre, making it the second-most crowded country in the world. Canada had just over three people per square kilometre that same year.

Most foreigners on the island live in the capital, Taipei. But since my friend Marcel was teaching English in Taichung, the country’s third-largest city, Cliff and I focused our attention there. Guidebooks bragged that the city was close to national parks and hiking trails. A key website for foreigners (www.tealit.com) was jam-packed with teaching jobs in the city and social events for Westerners.

Still, I confessed to Marcel that I had a few concerns. I’d heard the pollution was bad, and that there were bugs – lots of them. Would I be able to cope? But Marcel said Westerners used gyms instead of jogging, and escaped to the countryside on weekends. And while there was the odd critter in his apartment, he said he didn’t see them very often. He also raved about the experience he was having, and said we could stay with him when we arrived.

With that in mind, I tried to reassure myself. The country met so much of our criteria, how could I say no?

On Jan. 9, 2005, Cliff and I arrived in Taiwan. After three flights and 28 hours in transit, we longed for a breath of fresh air. Instead, inside the terminal, we were hit with the smell of diesel from buses and trucks outside. When we exited the airport, the smell from the sewers was worse.

That year, the World Economic Forum ranked Taiwan second from the bottom out of 146 countries for environmental sustainability. Its emissions also grew faster than those of any OECD country between 1990 and 2006. I’d heard similar statistics before I left, but breathing them in was another story.

During our first week at Marcel’s apartment, culture shock set in. I couldn’t identify anything – the signs on the streets were all written in Chinese, the food was a mystery, and unless there were pictures in the windows, I couldn’t decipher a drugstore from a drycleaners. When I saw a pig’s snout hanging from a hook at a Taiwanese market, I was revolted. “This is what they eat?”

As I struggled to cope, Cliff and Marcel found a place for Cliff and me to live – a small apartment on the 14th floor of a 17-storey apartment building. The Australian who had been living there said it was “safe” during earthquakes. I hoped we never had to confirm. (By the end of my stay, there had been two earthquakes in Taiwan. They didn’t hit Taichung directly, but one was close enough that paint chipped off our walls).

Fortunately, the Australian moving out also recommended me for the teaching job she was leaving behind. After a brief interview, I was hired and began after the Chinese New Year. I also managed to find evening work teaching adults twice a week, and Cliff found a job as a science teacher at one of the wealthier schools.

Next on the list of essentials was mastering my new mode of transport. While learning to drive a scooter was easier than I’d expected, navigating the streets was daunting. Some signs were written with letters from the English alphabet, but they were often spelled differently than they were spelled on a map.

For instance, “Taijunggang” Street was also written “Zhonggang” and “Chunggang.” “Uenshin” was also “WenXin” and our street name, “Gung-Yi” sometimes appeared as “Kong-Yi.” To get from Point A to Point B, I had to sound out the words on the signs to see if they could match the words on the map.

Even worse were streets marked only in Chinese. Once, I had to find a doctor’s office by turning right “on the street after the sign with the apple.” Given that the apple was hidden in a smorgasbord of Chinese signs, which I had to scan while weaving in and out of cars, trucks, scooters, three-wheeled contraptions and the occasional dog, I spent half an hour searching for it, missed the appointment and had to reschedule. (Cliff and I eventually found it together).

As the days went by, the stress I felt only seemed to get worse. Our second night in our apartment, Cliff sprang up from the bed yelling, “Something just flew on my face!” When he turned on the light, there it was – a big, black cockroach with wings – in our bed. We tried to tell ourselves it was a fluke, but when roach No. 2 woke us up the next night, we knew we had a problem.

The next day I made my first major purchase in Taiwan – a collection of RAID and a roll of duct tape.

Every night, I sprayed the apartment and sealed the drains. In the morning, I donned a pair of gloves to collect the belly-ups. Once, I found one on my toothbrush.

Thankfully, I was more at ease at the schools where I worked. The kids in my classes were between ages 4 and 12. They called me “Teacha” and liked to hold my hand. Meanwhile, the students in my evening classes, who ranged from teenagers to an 81-year-old man, gave me an interesting insight into Taiwanese culture. For instance, I once taught a 15-year-old whose parents had changed his name four times because they thought it was bringing him bad luck. For most of my classes, I was paid $23 per hour. Given that my rent contribution was less than $200 per month, it went a long way.

While things were going well at work, the communication and cultural barriers beyond the classroom continued to overwhelm me. For example, every day I saw people throwing some sort of paper into roadside ovens. I initially thought they were burning garbage, but eventually learned it was “ghost money” – special paper people burned as a gift for deceased relatives.

Men also drove around spitting out red drool. It splattered the ground and looked like there was blood all over the streets. I later discovered it was betel nut – a reddish-brown seed that men kept in their mouths to give them a buzz.

Adding to the disconnect I felt was that few people spoke English. And often when they could, they refused because they were too embarrassed to make a mistake and “lose face.”

My inability to communicate also created uncomfortable moments. When a taxi driver brought me to the bus terminal instead of the train station, I had no other recourse but to raise my arm and say, “Chug-a-chug-a-chug-a-chug-a-choo-choo.” (Thankfully, my ingenuity worked).

Another time, when I indicated to the school cook, “Auntie,” that I wouldn’t be eating lunch that day, she looked concerned, began making farting noises and pointed to my backside. I eventually learned Auntie was worried I wasn’t eating because I had diarrhea. (She seemed relieved to find out I was simply heading to the gym instead.)

Other lapses in communication were more traumatic. Like the time I was driving on the highway and saw a man slumped under a scooter ahead of me. My heart began to pound as I wondered if the man was dead or alive. I wanted to call for help, but there was nothing I could do. I didn’t know the name of the street, and even if I’d found a sign, I wouldn’t have been able to read it. Plus, I couldn’t speak Chinese to call 9-1-1. I hated being so helpless.

There were unsettling moments at work, too. One day, my Chinese teacher said the parents of Daniel, one of my students, had called. I’d talked with the 11-year-old’s parents before about his disruptive behaviour. But the Chinese teacher said they’d called to say they’d “taken care” of the situation. When I asked what she meant, she said: “You know, beat him, so he act betta.” I was horrified. I didn’t know what was worse – that his parents abused him, or that it was socially accepted.

I was trying to connect with my new world, but the more I learned, the less I wanted to be part of it. Grappling with it all was exhausting. My days were marked by frustration, shock and disbelief.

James Lowe, a cultural counsellor for minorities and immigrants in Vancouver, said my reaction isn’t surprising. “With everything going on at that time – the different food, lack of clean air, social isolation – to learn about different parts of the culture that are very different from your own, it’s overwhelming,” he said.

Dealing with it all may have been easier if I’d been able to build a stronger network of support. Although I was there with my boyfriend, I longed for female friendship. I’d met a handful of foreign women, but we didn’t have much in common. I did become friends with an Aussie named Kate, but we lived far apart and didn’t see each other that often.

Foreign guys seemed to be having an easier time. Insects and chaotic streets didn’t seem to bother them as much, and Taiwanese women treated Caucasian men like Hollywood stars. The bigger the nose, the more handsome the man, they said.

The attention I received wasn’t nearly as warm. Taiwanese women asked to feel my hair sometimes but said very little. As for Taiwanese men, my presence in their country was apparently baffling. In Taiwan, women don’t leave their parents’ homes until they are married. I had not only left my family home before marriage, but left my country and culture. “Being a woman in a very traditional culture is very different than being a man in that culture,” Lowe said. “In terms of gender roles, when you come in and break the mould, they don’t have a way of understanding what you’re doing.”

Fortunately, my isolated experience had exceptions. A woman at the gym invited Cliff and me to a traditional family dinner and the caretaker at my school kindly treated my scooter burn. Eventually, we also began spending time with a group of foreigners. But even with trips to karaoke bars, temples and lakes, I still felt miserable.

And so, despite my efforts to enjoy Taiwan, at the end of July, seven months after I’d arrived, I boarded a plane for home. When I arrived at Toronto’s Pearson airport, I was so relieved, I burst into tears. Finally, the cockroaches, the pollution, the stress and confusion, were over.

The impact of my experience in Taiwan was lasting. I’d accepted a scholarship to do my master’s degree at the University of British Columbia, but when I arrived, I didn’t have the energy to adjust to yet another new place. I wanted to go home.

When I told an academic counsellor I was thinking of leaving, she asked what it was at home that was so important. When I teared up and blurted, “Everything I know,” I suddenly realized the impact Taiwan had had. A few hours later, I dropped out.

Returning home to Burlington, Ont., was exactly what I needed. For the first time in nearly a year, I felt stress-free. The simplest of things – like understanding a radio ad or knowing where to buy a stamp – were effortless.

A few years later, I completed my master’s degree. Today, I’m living in Montreal, studying French and learning Québécois culture.

I am thankful for what my experience in Taiwan gave me – strength, courage and an incredible perspective on the world and its people. Having lived as a minority, I have a profound appreciation for the challenges new Canadians face. I am also even more understanding of cultures and values that are different from my own.

I now know I was not ready for Taiwan. I did not research the culture adequately enough, and I should have gone only if I’d had a genuine interest in learning the language. As McBride, manager of Toronto’s ESL in Canada, points out, China and South Korea are “the most difficult areas to go into if you don’t even have a basic vocabulary.”

I had naively assumed I would be able to get by.

Those considering teaching abroad should research their destination as much as possible, and ask themselves: Can I adjust to the food and the climate? Do I want to learn the language and will I commit to it? Do the living conditions appeal to me? Do I share the values of the culture? Will I know how to access medical help? Are there resources for Westerners? Is this somewhere I want to live or is visiting enough?

As well, if making money is important, they should carefully evaluate what they are willing to sacrifice in exchange. In my case, the financial benefit wasn’t worth it.

Had I more seriously considered these factors, I may have had the incredible experience that thousands of others have had.

“It’s a very nice way to travel, you get to know the locals, and you are always respected for the job you do,” said Dainn Van Doorne Legris, coordinator at Montreal’s College Canada, an internationally recognized school for teachers of English as a second language. “It’s very enriching – that’s why many teachers stay for two, three years.”

My experience teaching English abroad was the most difficult of my life. But if I’d more carefully prepared, it could have been one of the best.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Teach...#ixzz1G3zWYzBj

Canada-based Taiwanese angered by ‘biased’ article

By Shih Hsiu-chuan / Staff Reporter
    Sat, Mar 05, 2011 - Page 2
    Several Montreal-based Taiwanese recently launched a protest campaign against the Gazette, an English-language daily newspaper published in Montreal, Canada, for its publication of an article on Taiwan, which they said was biased.

The newspaper carried an article about Taiwan under the title “Teaching English: Cultural Shock” in its Feb. 26 publication, in which Lindsey Craig, a Canadian who said she used to teach English in Taiwan, described her seven-month stay in the country in 2005 as “the most difficult experience of my life.”

It angered many Taiwanese living in the city who thought the paper should not have used the three-page article to introduce Taiwan solely based on one person’s subjective view.

However, in the subtitle, the article said: “Like thousands of -Canadians every year, Lindsey Craig moved overseas to teach English in Taiwan — but she’s the one who got some hard life-lessons.”

In Taichung, where Craig said she lived, she said that she couldn’t identify anything during the first week because “the signs on the streets were all written in Chinese” and that navigating the streets was daunting because “some signs were written with letters from the English alphabet, but they were often spelled differently than they were spelled on a map.”

She said she found that “few people spoke English, and often when they could, they refused because they were too embarrassed to make a mistake and ‘lose face.’”
    Craig said there were unsettling moments at work, citing the example of the parents of one of her students who thought that the best way to take care of their son’s disruptive behavior was to beat him.

In her article, Craig said that her days in Taiwan “were marked by frustration, shock and disbelief.”
    Toward the end, she said that “I now know I was not ready for Taiwan. I did not research the culture adequately enough, and I should have gone only if I’d had a genuine interest in learning the language.”

Montreal-based Taiwanese created a group called “226 protest of media bias Gazette in Montreal” on Facebook, with Su Yu-chun (蘇玉純) calling on foreign nationals living in Taiwan teaching foreign languages to contact the group to lodge a protest against the newspaper.

David Tsao (曹耕臺) posted a letter addressed to the country’s representative to Canada, David Lee (李大維), on Facebook, urging Lee and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Canada to lodge a formal protest against the Gazette.

Published on Taipei Times :
    http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../05/2003497426
    Copyright © 1999-2011 The Taipei Times. All rights reserved.

Note to readers from writer Lindsey Craig

BY LINDSEY CRAIG, SPECIAL TO THE GAZETTE MARCH 8, 2011 5:02 PM COMMENTS (10)

The response to my story (Teaching English: Culture shock, Feb. 26) has been overwhelming. Since the article was published, I have received messages from people in Montreal, Taiwan, other parts of Canada and throughout the world. They have been supportive, critical, and a mix of both.

For those who have been respectful in their criticism, I truly appreciate your point of view. However, there are a few things I would like to clarify.

While I understand that this story may have caused some hurt and anger, that was not the intent of sharing my experience.

I wrote the story about my living in Taiwan because I wanted other Canadians to learn from what I endured. Before I left, I had heard of many other Westerners who had had very positive experiences in Taiwan. I set out to have this experience. Before I left, I read facts and figures about the country, but failed to make a solid effort to really understand the culture, and the impact it might have on my daily life. Perhaps it would have been easier for me to adapt if I had been more able to anticipate some of the vast differences. While many aspects of my story do not show a positive side of Taiwan, the article was about my inability to adjust and the culture shock I endured. I wanted to show to others the impact this can have, and how important it is to be prepared. Having also since learned of other foreigners who struggled in the country or are currently having difficulties, I realized I was not alone in my experience. I wanted to warn those who are planning to go, to thoroughly research before they arrive, so that they do not repeat my mistake.

I also feel compelled to respond to the accusation that I had never traveled before or that I am xenophobic. This could not be further from the truth. My overseas travel and cultural experiences began many years ago. I have not only visited different countries, but participated on foreign exchanges where I lived with families of cultures, religions, backgrounds and languages different than my own. Each of these were incredible, life-changing experiences and I yearned to expand on them. I chose Taiwan because I wanted to embrace a country and culture vastly different from anything I had ever experienced. Given my previous journeys abroad, I thought I would be able to handle it. However, I simply had no idea just how difficult adjusting would be. I never expected Taiwan to be so overwhelming.

I must also respond to the idea that I simply “turned my nose up” at the culture because I couldn’t cope. If that was the case, I would have packed my bags and left much sooner than I did. But I did not want to give up. I genuinely wanted to find a way of being happy in Taiwan. I traveled to scenic destinations like Sun Moon Lake and the Taroko Gorge. I also tried to make friends by taking dance lessons with local Taiwanese people. I ate at different types of restaurants, visited temples, tried shrimp fishing and karaoke, went for a traditional foot massage, and many other things locals seemed to do. (I also mentioned a few of these things in my article.) I also continued reading up on things I did not understand, in hopes that finding clarity would make it all easier. Importantly, though, while I continued to struggle, for seven months, I resisted the temptation to turn back and go home. As I said, I truly wanted to make it work.

Concerning the mentioning of the pig’s snout, this was included as just one of countless examples of cultural elements that were difficult for me to comprehend. Yes, I have seen foods in other countries that have also shocked me, but in those other situations, I was able to adapt to everything else around me, which limited the effect it had. In Taiwan, everywhere I looked, there was something new and startling to make sense of. Again, I was trying to illustrate my culture shock and give examples of why I was having a hard time. This was an example.

With regard to the ghost money, the point of mentioning it was not to describe its meaning, but simply illustrate how different everything was that I was that I was surrounded by (just like the pig’s snout). For a Canadian, many of the sights and sounds were overwhelming – and again, I wish I had better prepared myself to handle these kinds of things, so that I had a stronger understanding of them before arriving. I also did not mention ghost money as being negative - only that I’d never seen people burning it before. My lack of understanding made me feel even more disconnected from my new home (which is why my article stresses that one should thoroughly prepare).

Additionally, of course I did not expect everything to be communicated in English, as I have seen some people say in various forums. However, before I left, I had the impression that there was a stronger presence of English than there is. As well, I realized that living in Taipei would have made for a much easier experience, given that there is more English and even a subway system (therefore eliminating the need to navigate city streets by scooter). I realize now that choosing to live in Taichung was a mistake -- which again, I would not have done had I more fully researched before I left.

There is another aspect of the response to the article that I must also address. I have seen in various forums created by the Taiwanese community that some people have contacted the school(s) where I worked. While I have been patient in handling some of the personal attacks against me, this is one of the most inappropriate. My students, both the children and the adults, were the absolute highlight of my stay in Taiwan. My colleagues were also a pleasure to work with. My article did not indicate anything otherwise. Contacting any of them would only serve to hurt kind people who made a truly wonderful difference in the overall difficult time I was having.

As well, there has been much criticism that the story was not balanced. I feel it is important to note that this was not a news story, but rather, a personal experience published in the life section of a newspaper -- about an individual’s struggle to adapt to a new country. It was not in the news section, nor travel section. Furthermore, I did mention a few positive experiences I had, though this was clearly not the focus.

Part of my story was also to illustrate how much I learned from the experience. I was open to other cultures before I left for Taiwan, and now I feel I am even more respectful and accepting of differences. I am especially mindful of the needs of new Canadians and the differences they face, since I understand what it’s like to feel so isolated. As a result, I try to help immigrants or new Canadians whenever I can. From helping them understand a road map, to inviting them to Thanksgiving dinner, I understand that such small gestures can go a long way in making someone feel more connected. Living in a multicultural society, I think it is important for Canadians to be more aware of the value in such gestures. But I know not everyone is understanding or patient with the needs of newcomers. It was my thought in writing the article that others might read it and also become more mindful of the challenges facing those new to a country. Perhaps they may act with more patience and understanding as a result.

I would like to say again, that I appreciate the many responses to my story. However,to those who have attacked me through social media, complete with profanities and other insults, these actions have not been helpful to anyone. To those who posted my personal phone number, photo and contact information in public forums, this measure was also uncalled-for. It would have been far more productive to direct your energy to engaging in respectful, critical discourse, as many others decided to do.

While I am aware that my response will generate further discussion, which I respect, I hope you can understand more fully my reasons for writing the article. It was not my wish to hurt anyone. I respect your opinion and thank you for writing.

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Note+...#ixzz1G40WtbJz

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Definitely an interesting read.

It doesn't change a thing towards my plans of teaching English in Italy this upcoming fall however, but it does illustrate a lot of things that one would experience while attempting to teach in such a foreign country.

All in all, it was very foolish to go to a place like Taiwan, with the plans that she had and not speak a singular word in their native language.
    That doesn't make one ounce more sense then being Chinese, and coming to Canada without speaking English, yet having hopes of establishing a career right from the get-go.

Diesel fumes, cockroaches and everything else aside.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-08-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

hahaha I got through the first and second article... and that's where you lost me.

Interesting read though.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    That doesn't make one ounce more sense then being Chinese, and coming to Canada without speaking English
    Doesn't seem to stop ppl from signing up on Beyond.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    being Chinese, and coming to Canada without speaking English
    But being Chinese is probably easier due to China Towns being a place where you can go and do everything you need in chinese. I know some places have "English towns" ect, but those are far and few between as compared to others.

I was in taiwan and met a few guys who were there for that exact reason, I didn't find it anywhere near as bad as being described in the article, the girl is obviously sheltered from other cultures and isn't adventurous, all the things she mentioned as negatives are the resons I love to travel, and the reason I tend to not travel to English speaking counties, what fun is that. Haven't been to the states until just last year, and have been in canada for 16 years haha, but been all over asia and alot of Europe.

My Ride
    an econo box

My sister lived in Taiwan for 7 years and my brother currently lives there. Her description of the negatives are waaaaaay exaggerated, especially about the city smelling like sewer day and night and everywhere you go.

My sister preferred her lifestyle in Taiwan over life in Canada.

Reading her responses, she sounds like a smug upper-middle class academic type who's never REALLY had to make it on her own. Staying at university sponsored exchange houses in other countries is totally different than starting from scratch without a sponsor family holding your hand through everything.
    Last edited by KrisYYC; 03-08-2011 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Wow that article is over exaggerating. I have family in Taiwan and last time I was there, it wasn't dirty or anything. Article makes it seem like she went to a third world country...

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Agreed. My sisters been doing her Post Doc at the University there for the last 6 years, I've been out to visit twice. She loves it, I was very impressed with the country, and we did tour most of it.

This girl seems pretty clueless and fragile. I like how she started with "The tiny island is part of the Republic of China" when the tiny island IS the ROC. Obviously unprepared from the start.

My Ride
    POS

The one main factor as she confessed was that she genuinely didn't want to learn the language from the get go so it's hard to see the positive side of things when you don't want to adapt. She says that she's travelled quite a bit, but it sounds like she's had a sheltered life. Unlike Canada and US, most of ther countries don't bend like we do when it comes to minorities and have a "You can leave if you don't like it" attitude. Being basically a CBC coming here at 3 years old, I visited China for the first time last year and it was fun and all, but I wouldn't want to live there haha .

Typical westerner who expects every other country to be the same as home.

Idiot.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

What a stuck up little bitch, her experience is definitely exaggerated and if she wanted to go somewhere so much different from her language or culture she should've chose somewhere else or gone with a more open mind.

She should be GRATEFUL that she got $23 an hour. Even that is a decent amount in Canada, especially when the locals working in fast food/restaurant/retail often only get ~$3-$3.50/hr.

She also should've definitely chose to live in Taipei instead of Taichung. I have not lived in Taichung so I'm not sure, but I'm in Taipei right now and you can get around anywhere without being able to speak a word of chinese.

Almost anybody say between ages of 18-35 can speak some english. Hell even when I meet new people here and if I'm not comfortable enough to use my chinese I use english and they reply just the same.

I've also met people here from all parts of the world such as Germany, Africa, Vietnam, Italy, Brazil, etc. and they seem to get along, get around and fit in just fine. They couldn't speak any chinese either before they came here so why is this one girl's experience so much worse?

Also why was this article published of her experience from over 6 years ago? Do they think nothing has changed since then?

My Ride
    //M

Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by sputnik

Idiot.
    Exactly what I was thinking... She comes off as a total moron for apparently not having really exposed herself to any of the culture, and none of the language, prior to going to actually live there.

I imagine there may be a story in some Syrian news paper about a young man so disillusioned after studying in Canada when he found out beating your wife here is a pretty serious thing...

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Re: Teaching English: Culture shock

I think this chick would have the same problem in any country.

All the stuff that she was complaining about IS the experience. It's just different.

I'm not sure how she thinks that her being "better prepared" would stop her from being a complainy bitch.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

wow, i read the first few sentences and then saw the WALLS OF TEXT - fuck if i'm gonna read all of that shit.

seriously, though, canada is one of the best places in the world to live. a lot of people take that for granted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If she thought Taiwan was bad, she should try India.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by sputnik

Idiot.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.... really? they eat pig here? dirty air? OMG Earthquakes!!!!

Pussy, dont leave Canada if you dont want to experience the other 99% of the planet.

Originally posted by Guillermo
    wow, i read the first few sentences and then saw the WALLS OF TEXT - fuck if i'm gonna read all of that shit.

seriously, though, canada is one of the best places in the world to live. a lot of people take that for granted.
    haha shit this has NOTHING to do with the article. Way to go.

Last edited by Cos; 03-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast