Quantcast
HELP! - Chevy Corsica turns over, no start though - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: HELP! - Chevy Corsica turns over, no start though

Default HELP! - Chevy Corsica turns over, no start though

Hey guys, what's up - got an 89 Corsica that I recently placed spark plugs in - right before it got really cold. Now, when I go out to start it, it turns over a whole lot, but I dont seem to get the spark I need - then the whole car smells like gasonline. Did I not gap them plugs right? Did I flood the engine so that it wont start now?

Any help I can get would be awesome.

Thanks

make sure your coil packs are okay, and the wires are on the right coil.

Do you have the 2.8?

I do have the 2.8 - thanks for the quick response.

How exactly would I check to see if the coil was good or not - this engine hides damned near everything - I could hardly get to the back three plugs - underneath the car for god's sake.

Sometimes I can get the car started after a while, and then it seems to run fine - would that be the case if I had the plugs on the wrong coil?

Thanks

If the plugs were on the wrong coil it would sound like hell, It would be firing all wrong.

Yeah it's a bitch, try it with the 3.1 and a smaller bay!

This may be too much info but here goes:

Ignition:

Before continuing on with this section, check to see that all of the spark plug wires are firmly connected to the coils and the spark plugs.

First you want to check to see if you are getting any signal to the spark plugs. The best way to do that is to gap them to some unpainted, grounded metal on the car. (engine block, heads) If you have spark, move on to the next section.

If you have no juice going to the spark plugs, remove your coilpack and have that tested at a shop or parts store. If the coil tests out fine, get new plugs and wires.

If, for some reason, you replace the defective coilpack with a working coilpack and your car still wont run, look into replacing the ECU. If you have gotten this far and still need help, post a thread as I will not go into detail about that here.

Fuel:

**If you dont remember the last time your fuel filter was replaced. Do it NOW, it is cheap and a new one will not hurt your car.**

If your ignition system is fine and your car wont start, the fuel system need to be checked

Check the fuel pump to see if it is working properly. When you turn your car ignition to the "run" position (the one before the momentary start position), you should hear a whining noise coming from the fuel tank. It is better to have one person work the ignition and another the crawl under the rear of the car and listen in the area of the gas tank.

If there is no noise from the pump, depress the schraeder valve on the driver's side of the fuel rail. If gas comes squirting out, your fuel pump is probably not the problem.

If no gas comes out, check the fuel pump fuse and relay. If they are fine, test the pump and replace if necessary.

If the fuel pump is working properly, the last think to check in the fuel system is the injectors. (assuming there are no huge gas leaks from any of the hoses.) To test the injectors the best way is to borrow a set of noid lights from a parts store and hook it up to the injector wiring harness. If the injectors are getting a signal, the lights will flash when the engine is cranked. If the noid lights flash, then you will have to remove the injectors and check them and replace if necessary.

You will probably have to remove the coil packs to get them checked.

Keep me posted

Where are you in the city?

Default wow, I really appreciate it

Thanks for the more than called for reply man - that should be just what I need to fix my problem -

As far as the city goes - I am smack dab in the middle... of Columbia, MO USA

I hope it didnt make you to upset to help a lost American

Thanks man

as long as I'm helping to keep a 60 degree V6 alive i'm happy

Just wondering if you were in calgary cause it is alot easier to fix something you can see

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

also put a test light on the coil pack wire harness and see if there is power going to the coil pack......if you do take the coil pack out ceal the metal surface of any debris.if these are find then do some tests on the ecm modual located under the passenger compartment....also cheack your battery if not enough power is going to the coil then it wont spark