Quantcast
Just in time for winter... my new ride! (Part 4) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just in time for winter... my new ride! (Part 4)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Just in time for winter... my new ride! (Part 4)

The last 3 winter car choices have been pretty much impulse buys for me. A quick recap here...

Part 1 - Sold because it wasn't fast enough.

Part 2 - One of my favorite cars for winter and summer, lasted 2 winters and 1 summer, sold because I was tired of losing to civics in the winter.

Part 3 - Was so much fun in winter, but just didn't have the room to carry anything. Not the greatest daily driver with a family in tow.

This year, instead of an impulse buy, I actually spent time going through every possible option, looked at prices, performance, and being asian, best bang for the buck. Really, the only requirements were AWD, and space to pack stuff, and seat 4 comfortably. The AWD in the 911 absolutely spoiled me last year.

Of course, before kenny has a chance to make fun of me, he's right. I'm a fanboy. But in my defense, I was very close to proving him wrong, but was offered a smoking deal that I couldn't turn down. With that being said, here are the cars I looked at, in the order of most likely to buy, to least likely to buy.

1. Audi S5 Cab - Was never a fan of Audi's AWD system. Was boring in the dry like my 996TT. Finally got to drive both the S4 and S5 with the LSD, and damn what a difference. Went from heavy understeer to mild understeer, and just the right amount of HP for winter/cruiser car. Plus, it's a cab, I've owned convertibles since forever, and haven't had one in 3 years now, so I wanted to get my summer tans back into full swing next year.

2. BMW 550i xDrive - Probably the most fun "big car" I test drove. Handles well, and throttle blip downshifts. Awesome. Gets kinda pricey when you check off the options though...

3. Mercedes E550 4matic - Not as fun to drive as the BMW around corners, but the new V8TT motor is awesome. 12.8 1/4 mile stock (400hp), and 11.7's chipped (530hp). Felt like an old man's car, and next year the facelift is coming, so I'll have old car syndrome in 12 months. And being a fanboy, it's so damn familiar.

4. Mitsubishi Evo MR - I drove this last year, and was probably the most fun AWD car in the summer. The gearbox is wicked too. Only problem? The interior. And the trunk space. It just feels cheap. And the price? 10k more than US? WTF?

5. Nissan Skyline R32 GTR - I had Shohab look for a mint unmolested bone stock GTR for me. This was my dream car growing up, and this was a good opportunity to finally own one and see if I liked it. Hell, I even own the R32 GTR Alberta license plate, ordered 6 years before the first R32 GTR made it here. Unfortunately, there were none to be found.

6. Mercedes CLS 550 4Matic - What a fun car. Close to the BMW in driving dynamics, a brand new model for 2012, same HVAC/Infotainment setup as my BS, nice and familiar, and yes, I'm a MB fanboy. I drove the 2012 CLS63 last November, and it was impressive, big, fast, and still handled well. It's basically an upgraded E550, same V8TT motor, nicer interior, 1 less seat. Unfortunately, for $10-15k more than a E550, it wasn't THAT much of a better car than the E550, and just terrible bang for the buck.

7. VW Golf R - Even though I refuse to drive manual, the MT only R was something that interested me. I drove my old GTI this year again and it reminded me of how damn fun the car was. And everyone getting GTI's was talking about how fun it was. So this could work... until I realized all the fun was because of the DSG box.

So, what did I end up with? I came so close to buying the Audi S5 Cab, but in the 11th hour, MB came back to me with a deal I could not refuse. Bang for the buck, it was the only car that made sense. So here we are, picking her up on Monday. My new winter ride! It's a 2012, and since I didn't option it out, it's my first non Black car in a while. I'll have better pics of her in the next week as I get the usual winterization work done on her. Can't wait!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

Rage2 is synonymous with Ben see so good choice. That is all.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Brown? Cheap bastard. Lol

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Damn sick car!!! How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking, my dad has been trying to decide between the E550 and the CLS all summer lol.

My Ride
    RSTi

Your driveway is starting to look like a MB dealership haha, congrats man.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I still think you should have gotten that R63 MB mini wagon. That would have been a more practical car. Regardless, awesome car!

My Ride
    Ram

thought you wouldve bought a g wagon....

so it's the CLS 550 4MATIC, love the new design. Last gen just didn't cut it for me but still a cool rare car to see on the road.

I just hate how your winter cars have and always will be 90% of everyones' dream daily drivers.

Congrats! MB all the way.

Dope!! Congrats on the buy dude!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-10-2019 at 04:49 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Nice choice!

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by Sky
    I just hate how your winter cars have and always will be 90% of everyones' dream daily drivers.
    I have to agree with this haha.

Gorgeous car Rage, should be up to the task of a winter daily.

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by Sorath
    thought you wouldve bought a g wagon....
    That woulda been awesome. Nice car though

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by benyl

Brown? Cheap bastard. Lol

That's racist...
    ...@therealarifjina...

Not AMG or black? Sell out

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No AWD AMG's out there that's fun. Test drove the ML63 and had a 2012 offered to me, but I just don't enjoy DDing so high up off the road. That was the only AMG that would've made the list.

As for the color, I saved a lot of money by not going Black. The white leather interior will be interesting on a daily basis haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I found the white leather on the benz's absorbs the dyes on blue jeans. The few S550's with white interiors that I've seen you can see scrubs of blue jeans.

Perhaps its the owners not washing the jeans and wearing new but it was a huge turn off for white leather for me.

Does your car have night vision? I know the E's have the choice.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Only options the car doesn't have is night vision, and the radar based cruise control. Those 2 are like $5k worth of options that's pretty much useless.

My Ride
    335i

Can't argue with the rates right now on 2012s.

Kinda surprised you picked a non-black car. Ever since you've started beyond, black was the only color I've ever seen you buy.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    MkVi

Jesus how do you make so much money.... and btw that brown is such a sexy color. So so so so so jelly.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast