Quantcast
Beer Crew Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Crew Thread

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Beer Crew Thread

I know there are some Beyond Beer Drinkers on here so why not start a Beer Review thread? I know you can find all of the reviews online, but it would be fun to have a smaller-knit group of drinkers that can discuss beers in a more local sense.

From BeerAdvocate.com, below are the 5 parts of reviewing beers. I suggest we just use a 1/10 scale for the overall rating.

There are five categories to evaluating a beer with your review:

Appearance - Note the beer's color, carbonation, head and its retention. Is it clear or cloudy? Does it look lackluster and dull or alive and inviting?

Smell - Bring the beer to your nose. Note the beer's aromatic qualities. Malts: sweet, roasty, smoky, toasty, chocolaty, nutty, caramelly, biscuity? Hops: dank / resiny, herbal, perfumy, spicy, leafy, grassy, floral, piney, citrusy? Yeast will also create aromas. You might get fruity or flowery aromas (esters) from ales and very clean aromas from lagers, which will allow the malt and hop subtleties to pull through.

Taste - Take a deep sip of the beer. Note any flavors, or interpretations of flavors, that you might discover. The descriptions will be similar to what you smell. Is the beer built-well? Is there a balance between the ingredients? Was the beer brewed with a specific dominance of character in mind? How does it fit the style?

Mouthfeel - Take another sip and let it wander. Note how the beer feels on the palate and its body. Light, heavy, chewy, thin / watery, smooth or coarse? Was the beer flat, over-carbonated?

Overall - Your overall impression of the beer.

To review a beer, just copy and paste the below:

Beer (Name, Brewery, Style, ABV):

Serving (Location of Purchase, Type):

Appearance:

Smell:

Taste:

Mouthfeel:

Overall (Rating /10):
    Last edited by davidI; 10-11-2012 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Beer (Name, Brewery, Style, ABV): 60 Minute IPA, Dogfish Head, American IPA, 6%)

Serving (Location of Purchase, Type): Manhattan Grocery Store, Bottle

Appearance: Beautiful orange / amber. One finger of head in my pours. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Hops and Citrus.

Taste: Great balance of hops and citrus. Bit of a hop linger on the tongue...but a nice linger. Definitely something you could session.

Mouthfeel: Very light feel but is probably a medium bodied beer. Not too carbonated...just nice. Very flavourful for how smooth it feels.

Overall (Rating /10): 8.5/10. Probably my favourite IPA to date. The citrus tastes work really well with the hops and there is a refreshing after-taste. Something I could drink over, and over, and over, again.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Beer (Name, Brewery, Style, ABV): Arrogant Bastard Ale, Stone Brewing Co., American Strong Ale, 7.2%

Serving (Location of Purchase, Type): Manhattan, Bottle

Appearance: Beautiful burgundy / mahogany. Light head, but wonderful lacing.

Smell: Citrus / Caramel. I detect some alcohol too. It's an exciting smell.

Taste: Taste was a bit disappointing after the smell. It has a bit of a bitter kick to it. Especially the first few sips. The taste is very hoppy, with caramel / earthy side to it. Can't taste the alcohol, but the bitterness lingers in an almost peppery way. I do find more and more flavours with every sip though.

Mouthfeel: Pretty sharp for me.

Overall (Rating /10): A very flavourful beer. I enjoyed my way through one bottle, but wouldn't order a second. Something I'd try again, but won't be my first choice. 7.5/10.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I'm too lazy to do all that.

Lately I've been drinking Sam Adams Octoberfest and Granville Island's Lion Winter Ale. Both are delicious and have great taste.

The Octoberfest is darker but light tasting/bodied.

The Winter Ale is one of my favs, glad it's finally this time of year for it to return. Fantastic taste, try a 6 pack of it.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Timely post. I'm heading to Boston tomorrow and plan to hit the Sam Adams brewery.

When I was in Pennsylvania we bought some Sam Adams... wasn't really a fan (we got their variety pack to try them all).

But challenge accepted davidI! I love just going to the liquor store and picking up a random import beer I've never tried before every so often , so I'll be sure to add my thoughts on some of the obscure ones i try
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    something green

I'm to lazy to..
    Two beers I really enjoy are :
    Dancing Trout from Bayern.
    http://www.bayernbrewery.com/beer/dancingtrout.htm

and
    Trout Slayer
    http://www.bigskybrew.com/Trout%20Slayer%20wheat%20ale

I have a few more craft brews I brought back from Montana but haven't enjoyed them yet..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    AWOL

There's beer rating apps for your phone that would be a much more productive place to put this information. Also, go pick up a pack of the Granville Island summer sampler (six bottles, six different beers), then grab the winter sampler when it hits shelves

My Ride
    Lariat

for a while some of my favorite beer has been from Whistler Brewing, including the export ale and black tusk lager, great stuff!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Grogador
    There's beer rating apps for your phone that would be a much more productive place to put this information. Also, go pick up a pack of the Granville Island summer sampler (six bottles, six different beers), then grab the winter sampler when it hits shelves
    Both BeerAdvocate.com and RateBeer.com have comprehensive reviews. I was just trying to start discussion within the Beyond community.

I got to the Sam Adams Brewery yesterday. Very cool tour. I'm not blown away by the Original or Oktoberfest (great mass-production beers, however not amazing overall), but I really like their Brick Red and Cream Stout. Brick Red was my go-to session beer while in Boston.

I also got a proper tulip glass for tasting some more craft beers while I'm in Manhattan.

Currently drinking a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA. I have a bit of a cold so can't give this a thorough review, but I'd liken it to any of the good, well-balanced IPAs I've recently had. Basically, copy and past of my 60 Minute IPA post for now. I'd have to taste them next to each other to come up with more intricacies in the tasting notes.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

had the orange dragon IPA from allykat last weekend... holy hell, that is not a balanced beer

the citrus and hops together made it almost taste like grass. had to go back to the yukon red i was having earlier...mmm

My Ride
    G6

For the most part, I've found if the beer doesn't come from a European country, it's usually crap. Ultimate test for a beer: drink it warm. If it tastes like crap warm, you're being fooled when it's cold. Most German beers can be enjoyed warm.

I don't get the love for Granville Island. I've had parties where people left a couple of their 6 sampler pack. With the exception of their IPA, the rest is no better than flavoured MGD. The same usually holds true for Sam Adam's, and I'm also not at all a fan of Sleeman's. Steam Whistle is the one Canadian beer that deserves notice.

Some great beers: Erdinger, Grolsch, Guinness, Viru (from Estonia, but actually really smoothe), Lowenbrau (arguable), Moretti, Carlsberg, just to name a few.

My Ride
    93 integra

Alley Kat pumpkin spice ale is delicious.

Highlander Wines in Marda Loop has a nice selection of really great and different beers. I couldn't even list all the ones I've tried on here. He brings in a lot of different stock all the time.

Very easy for me to spend 35$ and up on a few beers. I've paid over 20$ for one there and was well worth it.

I'll post some up when I remember good ones.

I thoroughly enjoy beer. Some people like to drink varied wines. I do that with beer.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

highlander is over priced. co-op tasting centre and willowpark ftw

^^ I'll 2nd Willowpark, it's usually where I go.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by ercchry
    highlander is over priced. co-op tasting centre and willowpark ftw
    i don't have a car and i live three blocks away from highlander haha. I'm not about to hope the train to go down to willow park...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

pretty much the reason car2go exists

My Ride
    93 integra

Any fans of Unibroue in here? Or Dieu du Ciel?

I know Dieu du Ciel has a Vanilla Cocoa Stout called Aphrodisiac which is simply amazing.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by Feruk

Some great beers: Erdinger, Grolsch

Yes! Erdinger Weissbrau is fantastic, grolsch is also very good!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Feruk
    For the most part, I've found if the beer doesn't come from a European country, it's usually crap.
    That's because Canada has shit selection for beer, especially American beer.

When I lived up there, we were all proud of our better Canadian beer, but man is that a farce. There are hundreds of microbrews along the west coast from Washington to California with a huge variety of amazing stuff. A lot out east as well, but I have been exposed to that less, since most have regional distribution. The bigger-but-still-independent places like Sam Adams and Dogfish head are out here, but you have to look hard to find products from breweries much smaller than those.

Canadian liquor laws are stupid, so you only ever get to sample the mass-market products from the big 3. Someone told me it's actually easier for a Canadian brewery to sell to the US than it is to sell to another province.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...ss-canada.html

I'm not a big fan of IPAs, but I tried the much-hyped Pliny The Elder (Russian River Brewing) and really liked it. My palate isn't sophisticated enough to do a "proper" review, but there are plenty of those already. I really like the St Bernardus beers I've tried. My favorite lately is 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon, which is a seasonal wheat beer brewed with watermelon. It's a little bland but oddly refreshing for a summer beer. The seasonal Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is not bad. Anchor Steam is a really good one from San Francisco with a rather unique brewing style / flavor.

Originally posted by ekguy
    Any fans of Unibroue in here? Or Dieu du Ciel?

I know Dieu du Ciel has a Vanilla Cocoa Stout called Aphrodisiac which is simply amazing.
    Unibroue is awesome! I had a gift pack that had Maudite and Eau Benite (Tripel). Both were really good.

Anyway if anyone is ever in Seattle and a fan of beer, I highly recommend checking out Beer Junction.

http://www.thebeerjunction.com/

They have 1200+ beers of all types from all over the world, sorted by type/country of origin. Then they have about 20 rotating taps that you can fill growlers from.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast