Quantcast
TV setup help - no sound from PVR - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: TV setup help - no sound from PVR

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

Default TV setup help - no sound from PVR

I just purchased the Sharp Aquos LC-70LE550U LED TV from Costco a week ago, and am having trouble with hooking up a SHAW PVR to it.
    Currently using a HDMI cable, I am getting pictures on the TV but no sound. I went through all available manuals and forums but couldn't find a solution.

Anyone had similar experience with recent models of Sharp TV, or Shaw PVR? Is it possible the HDMI ports on the TV only accepts video signal? That does not make sense to me because that defeats the whole purpose of having HDMI.

The Sharp manual is not too clear about HDMI connection, but I get an impression that I do need to pair it with another audio channel. There is a 3.5mm input on the back of TV, but there is no 3.5mm output from PVR.

I can go with component cables, but don't want to give up so soon.

And this is meant to be a simple setup, so I am not adding a A/V receiver in near future.

Thank you for your feedback.

My Ride
    2005 F350

no you should not require any additional wires.

have you gone through all the audio input/output settings on the TV and the PVR?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

You may have to tell the PVR to send audio via HDMI, especially if it was previously set up with a separate audio connection. It may still be trying to send audio over optical or whatever you had in there before. You may also need to tell the TV to accept audio via HDMI, but usually you don't need to do that.

A long time ago some receivers could only do video over HDMI and required separate audio connections, but it hasn't been that way for a while. It should pretty much be plug & play with your TV.

You can also try that cable in another setup to verify it works perfectly. If all else fails, you can go back to component/optical. I realize it's way more cables than you need but the picture/sound will be identical.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

is the audio enabled on the TV? some TVs you can turn it off so it doesnt give off static when you have your parents over and they try to turn up the volume via TV when its all ran through the surround

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    A long time ago some receivers could only do video over HDMI and required separate audio connections, but it hasn't been that way for a while. It should pretty much be plug & play with your TV.
    Hmm... that may be the case as my PVR is an older model.
    I will look up the model number and do more research on it tonight. Thank you for all your feedback so far!

If your PVR is the big gray Motorola box from Shaw, go into the config menu and ensure audio over HDMI is enabled: with the box on, using the physical buttons on the front, turn it off and press "menu" shortly after. A white screen with some options should appear. Navigate using the arrows on the front of the unit.

IIRC, audio over HDMI is enabled by default, so it's more likely that your TV needs to be configured to use the proper audio input. First, if you have multiple HDMI inputs, by default they might be configured to use different audio sources. HDMI1 might take audio over HDMI, while HDMI2 might default to 3.5mm jack and HDMI3 might expect optical/toslink, or some such. Anyway, if you've swapped the cable around on the TV and nothing comes through, delve into the TV's menus for audio source selection, probably deep in the audio or source settings.

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

Mystery solved! It was my Motorola PVR setting problem.
    Accessed the menu like toor indicated, it revealed the Audio Output (under HDMI advanced menu) being set to AUTO. Apparently my Sharp TV only accepts L-PCM audio input, thus needed to change the AUTO setting to L-PCM as well.
    Thanks for those who posted.

Originally posted by spiceboy
    Apparently my Sharp TV only accepts L-PCM audio input, thus needed to change the AUTO setting to L-PCM as well.
    Interesting, did you just try the different options until it worked, or find that specified in the docs somewhere?