Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics

Telus High speed vs Telus high speed enhanced?? - Click HERE for Original Thread

69cougar
Anyone tried the high speed enhanced version? opinions feedback??
GoChris
if by enhanced you mean faster download and faster upload

then ya faster download is what they say, its faster

the upload, i received ZERO increase and they basically said too bad, nothing they can do, must be the lines or something.

well i live in a brand new area in a supposed e-community whatever the fuck that means

telus sucks ass, nuff said.
Ben
THe downloads will be faster on extreme, but uploads will be not that much different, as it's only bumping up from 512kbit to 640kbit up.
anarchy
Just so you can see the difference between TELUS and Shaw, here's a site that tests the speeds on a daily basis. It doesn't test telus extreme however.

http://www.dslreports.com/archive
Raz
Shaw rules, telus sucks.

How fast is the new "enhanced" anyways? 4mbit?

- Rasmus (who day to day get ~1000kb/s+ on his shaw) :D
Ek9Max
you need to buy shaw cable to get shaw internet thoguh right?

And they thortle torrents?
BerserkerCatSplat
Originally posted by Ek9Max
you need to buy shaw cable to get shaw internet thoguh right?

No, you do not need to have Shaw cable to have Shaw internet. Another alternative is 3web, which uses Shaw lines and is cheaper. Also, they don't monitor bandwidth useage.

GoChris
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

No, you do not need to have Shaw cable to have Shaw internet. Another alternative is 3web, which uses Shaw lines and is cheaper. Also, they don't monitor bandwidth useage.

actually, I did get a message about a week ago from 3web stating I went over their 50gb limit. Which is crap cause when I signed up they actually stated unlimited downloads. plus I know people that download more than I do so go figure.

jaysas_63
i hae thought about switching to shaw, after all they do have substantially higher speeds, but they cap your usage, which i think is really stupid, and would rather tolerate the 160kb/sec than have a 40 gig/ mo limit.....
aaronck
Thinking of switching to Telus, for the savings and free IPOD Nano.

Shaw has been ok, but lately one of our household Email accounts has been turning itself off for no reason, and not accepting messages, and they have no idea why
Pee_Sack
I used to have shaw and I hated it with a fucking passion

it was a 50/50 chance that when I went to my comptuer the internet would work, switched to telus and my internet has never been down.

Mind you I don't live in Calgary so that could be a huge difference.
403Gemini
telus's tech support is an effing joke when it comes to high speed.

160k download is quite annoying compared to when i used my buddies shaw extreme or whatever and was clearing 900k.

telus also continually disconnects me. I dunno if they have a problem with linksys routers but every week or so i need to reset the connection to the router. *grumble*
GTS Jeff
Originally posted by 69cougar
Anyone tried the high speed enhanced version? opinions feedback??

Telus Enhanced is almost as fast as plain Jane Shaw...

For the haters out there worried about Shaw's bandwidth cap...well don't worry about it, you'll never see the warning if you aren't being some douchebag trying to run a huge FTP server...

Zero102
I've never hit shaw's bandwidth cap, and I abuse it regularily.
I also have the old white motorola modem, so I know a lot of the limits and throttling cannot be applied to my connection. I plan to keep it until it dies, which I hope is a long time from now.

I regularily see 800-900kps on my shaw connection, on the G/F's telus I'm lucky to see 120... Telus = :thumbsdow Shaw = :thumbsup:
Nix87
I found shaw to be horribly slow at my house.. I was lucky to break 100kbps on my d/ls..shaw couldn't figure out why...hence ive switched to telus while its not as fast as some shaw connections but its very consistent.
RC-Cola
Originally posted by Nix87
I found shaw to be horribly slow at my house.. I was lucky to break 100kbps on my d/ls..shaw couldn't figure out why...hence ive switched to telus while its not as fast as some shaw connections but its very consistent.

I'm the same, my regular day to day surfing is fast and consistant. As soon as I download on to a Torrent site it slows way down, to 10 - 15kps...

Any ideas???

MidnightDreamer
Yes... I've been with telus twice now... The unlimited download is just not worth it... The connection is way too slow especially when you share it amongst three computers... Shaw does have thier 40gb limit, but since we started using shaws xtreme package or whatever, they haven't said a single thing even though I've hit in excess of 50gigs on more than a few occasions... But we also get digital cable from them and our monthly bill still comes in at around $120... So they might be somewhat careful about nagging us... 120 is nothing huge, but they should still see us as valuable customers considering we've been with them since forever lol... Taking shaw's speed test I hit around 6400kbps and 1400kbps uploading... Test seems somewhat exagerated... Coming from shaw not too surprising... Usually hit over 900kbps on anu given download... Very happy with quality of service... I just hope they do something about junk email... Them fok'saucers are getting past the normal barracade by adding in some writing to the bottom of any given msg.
djayz
so what would be better to go with if i average roughly 100gigs a month
im on telus and they seem to have no problems so far as to me downloading/uploading that much. I might switch to enhanced but the speed difference doesnt make much of a difference.

Im thinking of shaw but i remember when i was with them few years ago i would get numerous calls and emails about bandwith usage...thats why i switched to telus.
hash
Originally posted by djayz
so what would be better to go with if i average roughly 100gigs a month
im on telus and they seem to have no problems so far as to me downloading/uploading that much.

so their ''cap'' of 30 gb up/down combined is just bs?

djayz
Originally posted by hash

so their ''cap'' of 30 gb up/down combined is just bs?

i guess so ive been doing it for the last 3 years way over 30gigs up and download a month. the only time they ever called was about 3 years and a bit ago but i had a server running which was supposedly causing problems on their end so they investigated and found it. After that they havent said a word...just a letter few months ago that i think every telus customer got just to scare people.

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

picture of account usage for december so far...more than double of their limit

hash
sweet! time to d/l the rest of scrubs now :)

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog