Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Car Forums > Performance and Handling > Mechanical

Honda Civic: Why does my car burn so much oil? - Click HERE for Original Thread

blueripper6
I drive 1991 Honda Civic SI hatchback. Car is nice, rust has been cut/welded/bondoed/painted, interior is very good condition. The motor has 300k on it, I bought it from my moms co-worker in the south, and she works at the airport so she drove up and down the deerfoot everyday.

She said the car burns about a quart(litre) a month, but now its more like a quart a week, and burns more at high revs. That sucks, because my car at 110 is almost 3500 RPMS, its just dumping oil.

what can I do, my dad says its the valves, and its not worth the money/effort to fix... Not sure if its worth it to swap the motor either. does the fact that the motor burns oil mean the engine is gonna shit the bed in the next 10 000 km? 50 000?:zzz:

Quart in 7days two weeks ago, this week Monday-Sunday only put out 1/10th of the quart. Fucked up...
DonJuan
dude... seriously, if your going through a quart of oil every week you need to attempt to try and fix it. It means that oil is getting into the combustion chamber some how. Either valve guides, prings, cracked block, or all of the above. The engine has 300k on it and drivng it around is not doing it any foavors, or anyone else. A used replacement engine is your best (cheapest) option as rebuilding will probably be more. What you should do is call JDM source and see if they can get you a used ZC for cheap or a D16 and get a tranny with it. But please don't drive it as it is for the next 10000 km! You shouldn't add oil everytime you get gas... this is a BAD thing.
DonJuan
or this is probably your best option:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread....threadid=104703
Redlyne_mr2
Ive got a jdm b16 for 1700 dollars that will fit right in there and fix all your problems.
Darkane
Blueripper how much u want for the Car as is? PM me.
Proboscis
was it black and does she work for westjet?
ricosuave
i bet it was white and she worked for air canada, right?
infected
You should probably go get it checked out before driving anymore with it.
craigcd
Depending on how much you payed for it will depend on if you should fix it or not. If you payed dick all for it drive it into the ground. Or like other people mentioned replace the engine. Fixing it would be to much time and money in my mind.
blueripper6
Originally posted by ricosuave
i bet it was white and she worked for air canada, right?

LOL..:thumbsup:

I paid 1500 for the car, so 1700 for the motor, a little outta my price range, unless u wanna install it for me :D.

As for a quart a week, its not that bad, i was over exagerating, its around 1/2 a quart if i keep the revs below 4000, which is not hard to do..

I drove it this whole week, down deerfoot a few times, and it has only burned out like 1/10 of a quart, the week before that used an entire quart, hard driving.

ricosuave
i work with her husband, so i knew.

you may want to throw a litre of lucas oil stabilizer in there.

ive heard good things in situations like this of that product.

i think it is, like, $9.99 at crappy tire
blueripper6
My parents bought it, not sure how much though, they sold it to me for xxxx though. Which is def. lower then what they paid.
blueripper6
Im going to post the pictures of the rust, fixing of it, and after pictures soon... its a nice car. Darkane ill wait till after winter when I can afford a car again:)
lastprodigy
you can porbably pick up a mottor you can get in there for a few hundred bucks or less...try www.civicevolutions.com/forums
dcoultis
a low milage jdm motor is like 500 bucks mang.
ricosuave
try the lucas before you do anything.

id rather spend 15 and have it get me through the winter.
blueripper6
I tried google, but I cant really find any info on what engines will fit into my car or w/e.. cant really find any, so if anyone knows any good sites.

Ill probably find something on civic evolutions
lastprodigy
www.jdmsource.ca

if you want something cheap get a jdm d15b vtec or something
Z24_3.1.
piston rings GONE need like half a motor
zhulander
'Engine Swap', Beyond's answer for everything :nut:

Do a leakdown test to determine where the leakage is coming from. Then decide from there.

If it were valve seals, I would replace them as they aren't too expensive and dont' take too much time.
blueripper6
Piston rings.. Could be, or valves..

A JDM motor for 500 bucks would be a good route to go.. atleast sell the car for something after the winter then.

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog