Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics

Exhaust / Muffler Laws - Click HERE for Original Thread

Genjuro
Does anyone know what the law is on muffler / exhaust sizes, or how loud?

i just got a $115.00 ticket on the weekend from this damn cop saying that i have a oversized muffler "widened muffler".

its only 4 inches on the tip and 3 for the cat. not loud at all.

my brother got the same ticket 3 months ago but he says he beat it. his is actually big and kinda loud.. so wtf?

thank you.

-Andrew
QuasarCav
I've seen your exhaust, it's ticketable.

And people wonder why I put the stock tips on, the outlet of your exhuast (the tip) cannot exceed the inlet of the muffler.
s dime
I believe that any ehaust pipe size, other than stock is ticketable. correct me if I am wrong, but I think I heard this from a cps website / beyond thread? :dunno:
FiveFreshFish
A 4" tip is WAY bigger than stock. Easier to get away with it if it's close to stock size.
DelSoln
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust
system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

By the way 4 inches on the tip is big. I hope you got a better defence then that. Either way usually if you fight these things the judge will give you a reduced fine.
s dime
Originally posted by DelSoln
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by
an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust
system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.

By the way 4 inches on the tip is big. I hope you got a better defence then that. Either way usually if you fight these things the judge will give you a reduced fine.

thanks, I knew I had read this somewhere!

Audio_Rookie
and why is that law there....I just dont get it...
Toms-SC
to profit from ricers, du'h
Genjuro
its still a bit bullshit if you think of it....
why not ticket nearly everyone on beyond or everywhere else on earth for this?
my brothers and mine are the only 2 that i've heard this on so far.
^SkylinE^
Its a ricer fee every year to two years you get and exhust ticket, Its like renewing your car pay it once a year and your good to go. My exhust is actually functional i need the flow for the turbo. So i figure if i get and an exhust ticket oh well thats the price you have to pay. Im past bitching about it and just pay!!!!:thumbsup: :rofl:
Genjuro
also i didnt even buy it and it was a replacement for my old rusty one that fell off 3 years ago.. so in 3 years, i finally get the tix..
i figure that i rather pay the 250 for a performance one than 500 for a oem back then..
QuasarCav
Originally posted by Genjuro
also i didnt even buy it and it was a replacement for my old rusty one that fell off 3 years ago.. so in 3 years, i finally get the tix..
i figure that i rather pay the 250 for a performance one than 500 for a oem back then..

I paid extra to have the stock tips welded on and a 36" resonator put in, I will never get an exhaust ticket and it retains the good-flow of a custom system. $100 extra at the time but no more money in the future!

Nissanaddict
Smart on the resonator and stock tip. :thumbsup:
\JCAR/
yeah i dunno i did my exhaust on my cavy with a 2.75 pipe with a huge muffler and i have never had one ticket or even a waring for that matter
DelSoln
This type of thread pops up in the Edmonton forums like once a week! Maybe our cops are bigger assholes then yours in Calgary.
LittleAngel
I got this same ticket last friday nite, 115 aswell, i have an appointment tomorrow to get the muffler off and a stock one on.
THe cop said if i remove it, he will talk to the crown.
EK 2.0
its still a bit bullshit if you think of it....
why not ticket nearly everyone on beyond or everywhere else on earth for this?
my brothers and mine are the only 2 that i've heard this on so far.

hey, don't drag the rest of us down with you...

*knocking wood* I have never had an issue with my N1...you had to have been doing something to attract the officers attention.

HLvr
No you don't have to be doing anything. Some cops just need to make their quotas. I stopped for coffee in gasoline alley (RedDeer), and was on my way to get back onto the highway and was pulled over. There was no stunting, speeding, etc. I had no idea why he was stopping me. The cop gave me a ticket for the muffler being too big. That's it. He plainly said : We're cracking down on this.

Cracking down on people with bigger pipes? Give me a freaking break. Can you say cash cow?????
Goblin
What about a full exhaust?

for example, http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/tse3/

upgraded exhaust.. ?
DelSoln
^Well that one you just posted would most likely not even be spotted by a police officer. They mainly look for the size of the tip and it's at the discretion of the officer when it comes to sound. An N1 is an attention grabber for sure.
HLvr
From the way I read/understand the regulation, anything larger than what was factory is illegal in AB. So If you were to buy something the same dimension as factory, I'm assuming it would be fine (If you were to get a ticket, you'd have to have proof that it was the same size, etc. to get out of it).

"61(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened."

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/R...isbn=0779719557
tsi_neal
Originally posted by HLvr
From the way I read/understand the regulation, anything larger than what was factory is illegal in AB. So If you were to buy something the same dimension as factory, I'm assuming it would be fine (If you were to get a ticket, you'd have to have proof that it was the same size, etc. to get out of it).

"61(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened."

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/R...isbn=0779719557

Might just be me but i read that law as the tip must be the same size as the muffler inlet... So nothing wrong with putting a full 3" exhaust on the car as long as the tip is 3"... but the second the tip is 4" its eligable for a ticket. All my driving life ive had noisy cars, but never fancy looking exhausts and havent had trouble. but at the same time im not the guy shifting at 5k every shift.

Aleks
Any bigger than car came from is ticketable. When i had my teg I had a full 2.5" exhaust and the muffler had a 2.5" outlet. Looked stock, performed good enough for 300hp I was pushing. Easy way to avoid tickets. :D
Toms-SC
Originally posted by Aleks
Any bigger than car came from is ticketable. When i had my teg I had a full 2.5" exhaust and the muffler had a 2.5" outlet. Looked stock, performed good enough for 300hp I was pushing. Easy way to avoid tickets. :D

Ive seen your car many times and think that the exhaust is the coolest part. No cannon or anything, pure clean :thumbsup:

Tha VZA
what about a backfire...if you run rich for a second or two and boom some flamey flamey comes out the back....

or do they just mean the flamethrower kits?

ciao
Raz2
Vza, unless you backfire in front of a cop, alot, I doubt you'll have problems. Of course, if you were in front of a cop, he'd probably hear your exhaust system, and then you might have an entirely different problem on your hands ;)

- Rasmus
Tha VZA
yeah i guess when i see the po po i always try to run in vacuum...i just meant like hypethetically...because sometimes it happens when i dont know it...i can control it most of the time...

good point though

ciao
Vypros
LOL. Cops have pulled me over, and I have no cat, and a cherry bomb on my 4cyl cavalier. :rofl: No tickets for me and this thing is loud as fuck.
sweetchariot
Originally posted by HLvr
No you don't have to be doing anything. Some cops just need to make their quotas. I stopped for coffee in gasoline alley (RedDeer), and was on my way to get back onto the highway and was pulled over. There was no stunting, speeding, etc. I had no idea why he was stopping me. The cop gave me a ticket for the muffler being too big. That's it. He plainly said : We're cracking down on this.

Cracking down on people with bigger pipes? Give me a freaking break. Can you say cash cow?????

:bullshit: :bullshit: Who did you stopped by in Red Deer...RCMP or Traffic cops?????

Goblin
Originally posted by Tha VZA
what about a backfire...if you run rich for a second or two and boom some flamey flamey comes out the back....

or do they just mean the flamethrower kits?

ciao

I chuckled :)

Tha VZA
Originally posted by Goblin

I chuckled :)

well it happens....haha lol

ciao

crXbuSit
ive had lots of warnings ..... so i asked why? the cop replied.. "anything larger than stock size is illegal"....:thumbsdow
\JCAR/
depends on different cops (moods) aswell cause i was told it could only be a certin tone and they wanted to give my friend a ticket but they said they would have to cut it off for evedence and they were too tired from handing out tickets all day
sweetchariot
We were told that they could tow our car away as it wasn't street legal as well. Think it depends alot on the cop. I wanna know why dont they pick on the hill-billy pick-ups with mufflers hanging off polluting everyone or the Red-Necks with there straight-pipes.
Tha VZA
Originally posted by sweetchariot
We were told that they could tow our car away as it wasn't street legal as well. Think it depends alot on the cop. I wanna know why dont they pick on the hill-billy pick-ups with mufflers hanging off polluting everyone or the Red-Necks with there straight-pipes.

trucks have different laws...why, because of the oil & gas industry / farming

ever notice how trucks can be jacked way up in the sky and not get pulled over...but some cars that are lowered do?

if i am correct here, and i think i am, there is no limit on tire size, ride height, or vision (like you don't have to be able to see out the back window of a pick up)

where as with cars it is different

ciao

Genjuro
just talked to a lawyer today about this and he says they just do this because thats the only way they get money, so go to the court and talk them down.
Toms-SC
Originally posted by Vypros
LOL. Cops have pulled me over, and I have no cat, and a cherry bomb on my 4cyl cavalier. :rofl: No tickets for me and this thing is loud as fuck.

I dont know what more funny, the fact the cops have not pulled you over or the fact you have a Cav with a loud exhaust. :eek:

Tomaz
Another big reason they do write out tickets for things like this is casue they think every kid with a fart can on a car is a potential street racer and they really wanna crack down. THey believe that tickets will make kids think twice about decking out a car to race it. The biggest reason i have seen the given out was becasue they had nothing else to catch you on. Say you were gearing down for a light and was just having fun listen to your engine whine down.... no cop in their right mind will write out a ticket for stunting... but they might put you for exaust if they can, just to shut us up.
Vypros
Originally posted by Toms-SC

I dont know what more funny, the fact the cops have not pulled you over or the fact you have a Cav with a loud exhaust. :eek:

:rofl: Who cares guy. A man will drive what is within his means. I cannot afford to own a super car, so why buy one.

modded46
Originally posted by Vypros
:rofl: Who cares guy. A man will drive what is within his means. I cannot afford to own a super car, so why buy one.

Personally I would rather drive nothing than a cavalier but that's just me. :) It doesn't have to be a new car or an expensive car to be better than pretty much any chevy product out there...

Secondly, exhaust tips.. Guys, seriously.. We all know that putting a 4" exhaust on a engine which barely makes 200hp if you lucky really isn't doing that much for performance.. I personally would rather have a much quieter exhaust and put my money into other performance upgrades. But for some reason ricers just don't get it, so tickets will be issued. It would be the same thing as if I was driving around with open headers.

modded46
One other thing.. I honestly didn't know about this law, so there goes my idea of O/R X pipe. Looks like it'll be catted after all. :)
Genjuro
Originally posted by modded46
One other thing.. I honestly didn't know about this law, so there goes my idea of O/R X pipe. Looks like it'll be catted after all. :)

dude its not a 4 inch pipe.. its just the damn tip. second: its not loud at all.. you cant even hear my car in idle.
also, why do you think people put aftermarket parts on their cars? i know i dont have 200+hp but I do enjoy the little hp that it did give me for this car.

Tomaz

dude its not a 4 inch pipe.. its just the damn tip. second: its not loud at all.. you cant even hear my car in idle.
also, why do you think people put aftermarket parts on their cars? i know i dont have 200+hp but I do enjoy the little hp that it did give me for this car.

Even if it is just a tip... the cop was probably just being an asshole...

DriftNsocal
Excerpt from the CHP Information Bulletin: Exhaust Noise Standard to Guide Enforcement Officers, Aftermarket Manufacturers and Consumers:

Modified Exhaust Systems: An Aftermarket, replacement or modified tailpipe or muffler tip does not automatically constitute a violation of Vehicle Code Section 27151. In general, exhaust system piping, tubing fittings, cosmetic tips or other passive devices placed behind the muffler have minimal impact on exhaust system sound levels. There are no regulations that require configuration or minimum dimensions for mufflers. A vehicle which does not visually appear to be equipped with a muffler, but does not emit excessive noise, should be deemed to comply with sections 27150 and 27151.
ercchry
uhh :confused:

we live in the great land north of your falling apart country, and as close as we are to your country we do not have the same laws...

oh and by the way thanks for bumping a very old long dead thread :rolleyes:
Supa Dexta

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog